Is This A Paralysis Tick

teekay

Our vet at puppy preschool said that they were identifiable by the different coloured legs to their body.

From you first photo I would say no, but the second photo looks very much like the pictures on this website...

http://www.vetstop.com.au/info/tick.asp

Hope someone with more knowledge can come along and give you more info!

And hope Jenna is okay! :thumbsup:

Could someone please help me identify this tick I took off Jenna tonight. She is not showing any symptoms of hind leg weakness or anything atm. Vet says just keep an eye on her.

Won't get much sleep tonight.

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is. I'ts been years since I have seen one but it looks just like I remember them looking. One symptom a lot of people don't know about is a change in their dogs voice. I found a tick every time my dogs voice changed. I luckliy don't have them where I live now.

You should be okay though because you have removed it before any symptoms as long (as there aren't any others that you have missed of course).

Keep her quiet - LOCKED IN A CRATE.

NO food or water for 24hrs if no symptoms.She will go downhill after the tick is removed.

only out to toilet on lead.

any change of breathing or bark , wobbly back leg STRAIGHT TO VET do not wait till morning.

Check her all over again, there could be more than one tick, and if she does not have frontline/ advantix or permoxin on do it now.

Most dogs who have no protection will go down hill.

YES , that is a paralysis tick.

It has fed for about 2 days ...

I was afraid it was. What makes you think it has fed for 2 days? I've just measured it. It was 3mm wide and 4mm long, does that still fit with the 2 days theory?

Always hard to tell from photos, but it does look like one. If you are in coastal Qld then it is very likely that it is a paralysis tick.

Don't forget to keep searching in case there was more than the one you found. Hopefully it is just the one and it looks like you got it out early as it isn't fully engorged. Fingers crossed there are no syptoms from it.

It looks like it.

Yuck. Heebee Jeebee things they are. Hope all is ok Teekay and good on you for being vigilant enough to find it.

+1 :thumbsup:

Hope she's okay teekay. Keep us updated. :rofl:

Sorry this is OT but can I please ask what breed she is? She's gorgeous.

It looks like it.

Yuck. Heebee Jeebee things they are. Hope all is ok Teekay and good on you for being vigilant enough to find it.

She is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Samoyed (before I was educated)

I would check her a couple of times, but do not rev her up,its best she stays calm and quiet. Once they get excited they go downhill quick.

REMEMBER NO food and NO water.

Is this just for over night? .... already answered in previous post.

How come no food or water? What does that do?

Edited by Erny

It looks like it.

She is a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Samoyed (before I was educated)

Ahhh yes. She looks a little bit like my before we were educated Chi X Maltese, Zoe, but obviously larger!

She's a beauty. :rofl: