Reverse Sneezing

wuffles

Yesterday my girl started reverse sneezing when she wakes up, just for a few seconds. She is fine afterwards and is otherwise acting normally. She did it a few times last night, twice this morning and once at training when she was playing with another dog. I assume I should take her to the vet if it continues, what kind of things might cause it?

Edited by wuffles

Yesterday my girl started reverse sneezing when she wakes up, just for a few seconds. She is fine afterwards and is otherwise acting normally. She did it a few times last night, twice this morning and once at training when she was playing with another dog. I assume I should take her to the vet if it continues, what kind of things might cause it?

its sprring. maybe there is something in the air that is causing the sneezing? you could try anti histamines and see if it stops

I don't know what causes it but I know how to stop it :)

Just in case the info is useful:

Place you hand over the nose for a few secs. This "treatment" stops reverse sneezing almost immediately.

Edited by HonBun

I don't know what causes it but I know how to stop it :cry:

Just in case the info is useful:

Place you hand over the nose for a few secs. This "treatment" stops reverse sneezing almost immediately.

:) Yep, that's how I solve it. :cry: I give it a bit of a rub too - they seem to like that! :laugh:

Thanks guys. Her 'episodes' are only lasting a few seconds anyway so thankfully I haven't had to stop them! Just seems weird that she is doing it pretty much every time she wakes up from a snooze.

I would say it is because when she sleeps, her soft palate hangs further into her airway as she is relaxed, or she is breathing in dust or hair while sleeping. She wakes ups and then begins to pull air inwards in an attempt to clear the irritation.

I do not recommend putting your hand over the nose to stop it either, unless your dog accepts this easily. Many dogs are stressed when it occurs and stopping their ability to snort backwards will only stress them more. Reverse sneezing will not hurt your dog. It can indicate palate issues though and if the reverse sneezing is very frequent, and for long periods, then I would have it checked out.

Just seems weird that she is doing it pretty much every time she wakes up from a snooze.

Could be that the sensation which is causing the reverse sneeze is waking her up, rather than that she is reverse sneezing because she's woken up. :banghead:

Edited by Erny

Could be that the sensation which is causing the reverse sneeze is waking her up, rather than that she is reverse sneezing because she's woken up. :p

If we wake her or she's woken by a noise, she still reverse sneezes... She's snoring like crazy at the moment :swing:

Thankfully it doesn't seem to distress her, she actually wags her tail the whole time. But it is such a horrible noise and makes me feel bad. Poor little girl.

if she snores a lot then it can also be an indicator that she has an elongated soft palate

She's only started snoring today with the reverse sneezing. OH says "you always complain about my snoring when I have a blocked nose" :p :swing:

oh i thought they both went together, does she sneeze all year or has it just started?

My two Staffy's do this all the time if I feed them beef, it doesnt seem to agree with them, it took me a little while to work that one out.

When not feeding beef, it still happens occasionally. I still dont like it, although they never seem stressed when it is happening.

I do not recommend putting your hand over the nose to stop it either, unless your dog accepts this easily. Many dogs are stressed when it occurs and stopping their ability to snort backwards will only stress them more.

Is that a fact? (Genuine question ~ not being smart.)

I mean : When I go to sneeze, I'm sure the look on my face and the tension created in my diaphragm does not give me the appearance that I'm enjoying myself. Yet I do not find the act of sneezing distressful. In fact, I find the act of sneezing something akin to an anticipation of pleasure, as sneezing seems to have that cleansing relief feeling and I look forward to it. However, if I place my finger under my nose (not to block my nose - that should never be done) it can thwart a sneeze. I can't say that I'd find that distressful either. Maybe a little disappointing, but not distressful.

I know that we're talking about backward sneezing here and I'm not sure what sensation dogs experience from it. But having a hand in front of the dog's nose - similar as you might to prevent your own sneeze (ie not to block the nose) - and this does work ..... is it really distressing to the dog? Is that proven?

I read here on DOL that someone wrote you can also simply open the dog's mouth - just for a moment, and that will stop the backward sneezing as well.

I would be interested to know if it is a scientific thing that suggests dogs backward sneezing is stressful and/or that stopping the backward sneeze is stressful?

Edited by Erny

I would be interested to know if it is a scientific thing that suggests dogs backward sneezing is stressful and/or that stopping the backward sneeze is stressful?

No scientific evidence here, but I have tried just placing my hand over her nose lightly as suggested, which stops the sneezing immediately, and she looks up at me and gives me a tail wag. It's definitely not distressing her :laugh:

I'm going to book her into the vet anyway as she's also started to snort a bit and she is not a breed that usually has this problem. Just want to check she doesn't have an injury or anything.

My dogs never stress when I do it - they often come over to me and push their muzzle into my hand when they're doing a reverse sneeze and are soothed by my hand on their nose.

I think Anne might have been more concerned that people not do it if the dog doesnt like it.

:laugh: what is a reverse sneeze ?

When they sort of snort like they're sneezing in reverse. You'll know it if you see a dog do it. It's very distressing, like they can't breathe or something.

ah thankyou, Gizzi does this , she def is not happy when she gets waht I call the snorts [ reverse sneeze ] may try the finger under the nose next time[ not over]

I do not recommend putting your hand over the nose to stop it either, unless your dog accepts this easily. Many dogs are stressed when it occurs and stopping their ability to snort backwards will only stress them more.

Is that a fact? (Genuine question ~ not being smart.)

I mean : When I go to sneeze, I'm sure the look on my face and the tension created in my diaphragm does not give me the appearance that I'm enjoying myself. Yet I do not find the act of sneezing distressful. In fact, I find the act of sneezing something akin to an anticipation of pleasure, as sneezing seems to have that cleansing relief feeling and I look forward to it. However, if I place my finger under my nose (not to block my nose - that should never be done) it can thwart a sneeze. I can't say that I'd find that distressful either. Maybe a little disappointing, but not distressful.

I know that we're talking about backward sneezing here and I'm not sure what sensation dogs experience from it. But having a hand in front of the dog's nose - similar as you might to prevent your own sneeze (ie not to block the nose) - and this does work ..... is it really distressing to the dog? Is that proven?

I read here on DOL that someone wrote you can also simply open the dog's mouth - just for a moment, and that will stop the backward sneezing as well.

Erny, my advice comes from experience of more than 35 years of being involved with a breed that is known for reverse sneezes (aka goosehonking).

Firstly, the dogs are not actually sneezing. The term 'reverse sneezing' was coined for the action the dog's make, but it isn't sneezing in reverse. The irritation is not in the nasal passages, as it is when you sneeze. The irritation is usually at the back of the throat around the soft palate. The action is not totally involuntary, like a sneeze is either.

Secondly, some dogs actually exhibit signs of distress when they have a reverse sneezing episode. Many of those that have come and gone through my home, and my own Pug Boofy, will look very anxiously at me while it happens. Boofy will even seek someone out and stand near them. If he can't get it to settle, I give him a drink and this helps flatten the palate back dwon and or wash away whatever the irritant is in the throat (not nose as with a typical sneeze).

The idea of closing off the nostrils is to force the dog to breathe through the mouth, which if lucky, will either a) settle the palate if that is what it is, or b) the bigger intake of air will remove the irritant.

There is no 'scientific' view on it, it is simply a view from experience and based on knowledge of what the actual reverse sneeze action is.