Nutro Dog Dood

pinky11

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog had some dandruff after being at the kennel. She was fed nutro and sardines and casserole while she was there which is the same as she gets at home. So I could only guess the dandruff was a stress thing (there was a bad thunderstorm and she shredded her bed that night) or related to the hydrobath she got at the boarding kennel.

I've given her a few good brush outs, and a few trips to the beach and it's all gone now. Didn't change her diet at all.

I'd say they didn't wash out the shampoo properly. I've never heard of a dog getting dandruff from stress and the Nutro has loads of oils in it so I can't imagine it drying out the skin.

I get dandruff when I'm stressed so that's how I made that jump. The hydrobath was a freebee gift - done the day before I picked my dog up, and it would have been her first ever, unless they did them at AWL when she was tiny. So she might not have been all that co-operative when it came to rinse and blow dry. Though I can hose her off with cold water after a beach run - no problems. I don't think she got brushed a lot while she was at the kennel and if she ever needs to stay a while again - I will make sure brushing is on the list of things she gets.

My dog also gets dandruff from stress, it will come on about 10 minutes after she has been in a stressful situation (being rushed by a dog etc). She had it when I picked her up after her flight to me too. Easy to see because she has a very short black coat.

It's the only time she gets it though, and I know it's not shampoo related. Her coat and skin is in great condition with the Nutro and have no skin problems apart form this.

So confusing, I asked my online store (Natural Pet Store) about Nutro and they said they were discontinuing it because it wasn't a good seller. :love: They until recently had good stocks of EP, but even they can't get it now.

A friend's rottie is doing well on Nutro though, but because I am changing from EP due to supply issues I dont' want to get into another supply problem after I change. Artemis looks too high protein for my dog (who is nearly 8) and when I googled Canidae first thing was a class action by pet owners in US due to alleged dog poisoning :eek:

So hard to know which way to go.

Artemis Maximal is the only "high" protein food in their range - the grain inclusive foods are all comparable protein wise with most other top end foods.

I have to wonder why people still worry so much about protein when dogs are carnivores, and many folk add lots of meat or meaty bones to the diet? Does a completely raw feeder know how much protein their dog gets and if so, is that a problem?

There seem to be a lot of sweeping statements about a brand, when the food in question may be only one of many products within that brand. Grain free foods are higher in protein. Full stop. There is not the grain, the fillers, etc to lower the animal based protein.

If I had a dog with certain health conditions, I would certainly watch the protein levels. Same as for fat, for carbs, for certain man made supplements. But really, unless someone has really researched (and I don't mean just by googling what other people think) what is optimum for a dog in a certain age and activity, then I just don't understand the blanket "high protein" thing at all.

Sags