Walking My Dog But Surrounding Dog Not On Leash

giraffez

I was walking my dog today on a leash in my neighbourhood when all of a sudden a dog a bit smaller than a full grown german shephard starts barging towards him. The dog must have escaped from a car or a home (i'm not sure) but the owners were not far behind running to catch him. The dog was not aggressive (luckily) but my dog saw it was a threat and started growling. The other dog was sniffing my dog and made him very nervous.

At this time i was trying to calm my dog and blocking him from the other dog. But if the dog was aggressive, i wouldn't have stood a chance.

I think its the carelessness of the owners of the other dog to let the dog run out but being an owner myself, I appreciate with all good intentions, sometimes accidents like this do happen. It wasn't like the owners was walking the dog unleashed - now that I would have been pretty angry about.

I felt so helpless in the situation, I was trying to pick up my dog but he was struggling so I couldn't get him, what could i do next time? For about 5 seconds when the dog appeared, I couldn't see the owners so could have been a strayed dog for all I knew. I had a water spray in my hand but decided not to use it as I didn't know how the other dog would react.

I usually just try and stand between them telling the other dog to 'go on 'git'. it's allways worked for me.

Most the dogs I encounter offleash in streets are just left to wander around, or people have fences but don't bother with having a gate and they run out into the street?!?

A few times dogs have slipped leashes with owners running up after them.

Edited by -GT-

I'd put my dog behind me and body block the other dog and tell it to get away. If necessary it would get the end of my shoe.

I would not pick a smaller dog up - that can cause a whole number of other issues - risk of you being bitten if the other dog tries to get at it as well as the fact it puts your dog in a dominant position (being higher).

I had a dog charge us the other day, a husky type thing, had its hackles raised i yelled at it, but couldnt get it to stop its attempts, raz and it sniffed then the lady i was with said to keep walking so it followed for prob 2 meters sniffing raz's bum (raz was scared, tail tucked in) then it went away, i would hate to see what would have happened if it had been vicious :laugh:

so i feel for you, must have been scary

cant help in the what to do department, i am just as clueless

Accidents unfortunately happen, and the fact that the owners were running to catch him makes me think that this was an accident. We had one ourselves yesterday where OH wasn't quite quick enough with the gate and Akira raced out of the yard towards the main road. Gave us both a heart attack and I thought she was going to get hit by a car. Thank goodness OH ran his heart out and cut her off before she got there.

I would put myself between my dog and the other dog and keep them apart. Dogs are more likely to attack another dog than another human. I'd never pick up a smaller dog though because that's the best way to start a problem.

Accidents unfortunately happen, and the fact that the owners were running to catch him makes me think that this was an accident. We had one ourselves yesterday where OH wasn't quite quick enough with the gate and Akira raced out of the yard towards the main road. Gave us both a heart attack and I thought she was going to get hit by a car. Thank goodness OH ran his heart out and cut her off before she got there.

I would put myself between my dog and the other dog and keep them apart. Dogs are more likely to attack another dog than another human. I'd never pick up a smaller dog though because that's the best way to start a problem.

Exactly - it seems an accident if the owners were chasing. You just block them if you think your dog will not stand still and/or the other dog does not seem friendly. I usually just stop and stnad still and have my dog standing still if there is an owner frantically chasing the dog and the dog is not showing aggression.

I had a dog charge us the other day, a husky type thing, had its hackles raised i yelled at it, but couldnt get it to stop its attempts, raz and it sniffed then the lady i was with said to keep walking so it followed for prob 2 meters sniffing raz's bum (raz was scared, tail tucked in) then it went away, i would hate to see what would have happened if it had been vicious :laugh:

Thanks all, next time i wont attempt to pick it up. Any tips for what to do if the other dog is aggresive. I want to avoid any force if possible as it could hurt the dog and aggravate him further. Some of u mentioned u would yell at it... That didn't cross my mind at all as i know if i yell at my one in the spur of the moment, he probably wont think anything of it let alone yelling at another dog.

Also, the fact my dog thought it was a threat, is this normal reaction?

Thanks all, next time i wont attempt to pick it up. Any tips for what to do if the other dog is aggresive. I want to avoid any force if possible as it could hurt the dog and aggravate him further. Some of u mentioned u would yell at it... That didn't cross my mind at all as i know if i yell at my one in the spur of the moment, he probably wont think anything of it let alone yelling at another dog.

I know exactly what you mean as a similar thing happened to me but it was a full male staffy without it's owners in sight & no collar. The staffy came rushing up out of nowhere, I let them sniff but could see my dog was getting scared so I pulled him away so our backs were towards the staffy. When I turned around to see what the staffy was going, it was in a drop position with his back to us. I was glad to put some distance between the dogs!!.

If the dog is aggressive, you could tell your dog to drop which is submissive behaviour. I myself keep a constant look out so if I see another dog approaching with or without owners or lead, I either cross the street or turn back to where I came from, so the dog loses interest.

In terms of whether it's normal for a dog to react that way, I think it depends on how the dog approaches if the body language is "alert" and heads in a direct line towards your dog, then yes I would say it's normal for your dog to feel wary and perhaps threatened, especially if your dog is of an anxious nature, like my dog.

When I located where the dog lived, the owners denied their dog had escaped and I must be getting it mixed up with another dog - yeah right!

If the other dog is about to attack the worst thing you can do is keep your dog on lead and try to pull your dog away it will only make the situation worse the tension on the lead will make your dog want to fight or protect let your dog off lead and let them suss each other out normally this will stop them being aggressive if they do start to fight grab the other dog by the back legs and pull him away and keep walking in a circle and eventually the front legs will tire out and the dog will collapse.

If the other dog is about to attack the worst thing you can do is keep your dog on lead and try to pull your dog away it will only make the situation worse the tension on the lead will make your dog want to fight or protect let your dog off lead and let them suss each other out normally this will stop them being aggressive if they do start to fight grab the other dog by the back legs and pull him away and keep walking in a circle and eventually the front legs will tire out and the dog will collapse.

What utter rubbish.

Yet another "K9" handler dispensing dangerous advice the OP can never follow. Take it to a 'working dog' forum and leave the pet dog owners to get advice from someone who might actually be able to help them.

You clearly don't know anything about the OP's dog.. its a small dog. How the hell is OP is supposed to single handedly grab the attacking dog by the back legs and pull it off hers, especially if her dog is in its mouth.

Get real. This sort of advice is a utter joke.

Giraffez, block the dog with your body. You want to avoid any contact at all costs. If you have to boot the other dog to stop it sniffing yours then do it. If it wont' back off and if you can find a high place like a car roof, put your dog up there. If it all goes wrong drop your lead (giving your dog a chance to fight or flee), scream "FIRE" and try to grab the attacking dog. No 1 priority is to stop that dog shaking yours if you can - that's what kills the small dogs - it breaks spines and ruptures organs.

Edited by poodlefan

What utter rubbish.

Yet another "K9" handler dispensing dangerous advice the OP can never follow. Take it to a 'working dog' forum and leave the pet dog owners to get advice from someone who might actually be able to help them.

You clearly don't know anything about the OP's dog.. its a toy breed. How the hell is OP is supposed to single handedly grab the attacking dog by the back legs and pull it off hers, especially if her dog is in its mouth.

Get real. This sort of advice is a utter joke.

Giraffez, block the dog with your body. You want to avoid any contact at all costs. If you can find a high place like a car roof, put your dog up there. If it all goes wrong drop your lead (giving your dog a chance to fight or flee), scream "FIRE" and try to grab the attacking dog. No 1 priority is to stop that dog shaking yours if you can - that's what kills the tiny dogs - it breaks spines and ruptures organs.

Didn't know it was a toy breed throw two large dogs together with one on lead and try to pull it away the dog can sometimes unintentionally turn It's aggression back on to you.

I know this because I have lived in an area that had a lot of off lead dogs and have had this happen to me.

My father ran an RSPCA in Burnie Tasmania for long time so i do know what works to get a dog to stop fighting I have stopped large dogs from killing each other with this method.

Oh wow type in how to stop a dog fight and look what pops up first from a guy that breeds and trains working GSD HOW TO BREAK UP A DOG FIGHT

[

Didn't know it was a toy breed throw two large dogs together with one on lead and try to pull it away the dog can sometimes unintentionally turn It's aggression back on to you.

I know this because I have lived in an area that had a lot of off lead dogs and have had this happen to me.

My father ran an RSPCA in Burnie Tasmania for long time so i do know what works to get a dog to stop fighting I have stopped large dogs from killing each other with this method.

Oh wow type in how to stop a dog fight and look what pops up first from a guy that breeds and trains working GSD HOW TO BREAK UP A DOG FIGHT

Yep, its a small dog. This is the thing siks - you've got to tailor advice to the person asking it, not dispense what you might do with your dog. As has just been proven in the aggressive GSD thread, making assumptions about dogs OR handlers is bloody dangerous.

I have yet to see anyone suggest that one person can break up a dog fight using the "grab the back legs" method. All one person will do is make the dog they are grabbing a target if the other dog continues to aggress. Y Pet dog handers usually don't have the skill to do it anyway.

What professional dog handlers or 'working dog" folk do is of no use if a pet dog owner can't replicate it. Please bear that in mind.

Edited by poodlefan

[

Yep, its a small dog. This is the thing siks - you've got to tailor advice to the person asking it, not dispense what you might do with your dog. As has just been proven in the aggressive GSD thread, making assumptions about dogs OR handlers is bloody dangerous.

I have yet to see anyone suggest that one person can break up a dog fight using the "grab the back legs" method. All one person will do is make the dog they are grabbing a target if the other dog continues to aggress. Y Pet dog handers usually don't have the skill to do it anyway.

What professional dog handlers or 'working dog" folk do is of no use if a pet dog owner can't replicate it. Please bear that in mind.

cool.

One thing that might work that i have used in the past. That might help a person with a little dog would be a small fire extinguisher.

You can get one small enough to put into a small bag and carry with you.

It is very effective at scaring away a dog.

[

cool.

One thing that might work that i have used in the past. That might help a person with a little dog would be a small fire extinguisher.

You can get one small enough to put into a small bag and carry with you.

It is very effective at scaring away a dog.

So are personal alarms. Personally I use avoidance and if that fails the old "block and boot". :laugh:

I fail to see how letting your dog off lead will help!

what if he/she takes fright and runs? then you are really in trouble, especially as this will potnentially escalate the situation and excite the other dog which may then chase your dog.

The best you can do in these situations imo, is physically block the other dog by standing in between your dog and it. saying "bad dog" or "go home" is also sometimes helpful and of course having some spray or an implement such as a stick also helps if the dog actually starts attacking but I wouldn't use any of these things before it started attacking as this may startle or scare it into attacking you.

I fail to see how letting your dog off lead will help!

what if he/she takes fright and runs? then you are really in trouble, especially as this will potnentially escalate the situation and excite the other dog which may then chase your dog.

Holding the leash removes any chance your dog has of defending itself or fleeing - I'd rather my dog have a chance to run (and the incumbent risks) than doing the equivalent of holding it still for the other dog to attack. I've had my dog do laps around me and successfully avoid a large dog this way - it bought time. Another person's dog ran under a parked car.. sure beats ending up on the dangerous end of a dog 10 times its size with intent to do harm.

I would not let mine off lead on the street.

In a park or on a track or walkway away from the street yes.

My dog is not fast enough to outrun many dogs anyway.

It is a hard one, i guess you have to weight up the risk of the dog being hit by a car vs being attacked by another dog.

I would not let mine off lead on the street.

In a park or on a track or walkway away from the street yes.

My dog is not fast enough to outrun many dogs anyway.

It is a hard one, i guess you have to weight up the risk of the dog being hit by a car vs being attacked by another dog.

Yep, you're weighing the possible against the inevitable. I'd only drop the leash at the very last second.

We don't do a lot of on leash walking out and about, mostly we go to off lead parks and the beach, but if we ever have dogs come up to us and the dogs are on leash, I make a judgement call and if I decide the dog looks friendly and is not displaying any signs of agressive behaviour I let the leads loose and let my lot say hello and it's all good. Otherwise if we see a not so friendly looking dog I will avoid or also boot if I had to (have never had to so far) My oldest dog is a very good judge of doggy character and usually if the approaching dog is not friendly I wil be able to tell by Coopers body language before I get to judge for myself.

As far as puling dogs off each other if there is a fight, you can do so much more damage. I was witness to an incident a couple of weeks ago where a dog attacked my friends dog and the owner of the attacking dog pulled his dog off, what he didn't realize was his dog had my friends dog firmly between his teeth. This resulted in her side basically being pulled away from her body, she is fine now but it could have been a lot worse, what if he had of had her by the throat?? She may not be here to day.

A pic of my friends dog after a dog was pulled off her.

IMG_0531.jpg

It looks as though the wound only needs stitching but where the gash is and the tooth hole at the bottom in between all the skin had come away as a result of the dog being pulled off as he had a hold of her, so she had to have a full anesthetic and surgery to sort it all out, luckily she didn't need a drain tube as she couldn't be operated on till the next day and some of the skin underneith had started to mend itself back together.

IMG_0601.jpg