Crystal Has Gone.

RuralPug

Australian Champion Chaipore Crystal Bubbles

31/12/1994 - 19/09/2010

Crystal2002002-1.jpgCrystalJuly06.jpgCrystal20090917_03-1.jpg

Daughter of one of my mother's stud dogs and my mother's spoilt princess for the first seven years of her life. After being shown to her title and rearing two (or was it three?) litters she joined us here in the Pugtirement Home to demonstrate her Inner Fawnness and become leader of the pack. Even my Mastiff bowed to her rule. For so many years, she featured on our Christmas cards, like these:

GirlsInSun001-1.jpgXmas05.jpg

Card2-1.jpgCrystalXmas09-1.jpg

She out-stubborned death in August 2007 when she was diagnosed with idiopathic vestibular disease. She was started on steroids but suffered a very severe reaction to them and very nearly died. I am convinced the puggy vibes and goodwill thoughts sent by the bucketload from throughout Australia and all over the world helped her through that time. She was switched to NSAIDS and ever after had a permanent head tilt and a drunken sailor stagger. The facial paralysis led to an entropion-like condition and the removal of the eye on that side.

After that illness she gradually gave up her pack leader status but became the chief welcomer and nurturer for the temporary fosters that passed through. As each year passed, she because a little more philosophical and a little greyer. She took longer and longer naps and was slowing down, but still enjoyed her days, especially meal times and cuddle times. She insisted on the front passenger seat when in the car, not in the back like the plebians.

HollyCrystalsmall-1.jpgCrystal20090917_02-1.jpg

She had a state visit to the vet a few days ago, and came home with meds for a bladder infection and the knowledge that we would have to tweak her diet to adjust for early renal disease, but her heart and lungs sounded good, and although she was advanced in age, no-one dreamed that she would be crossing the Bridge this soon.

But Crystal always did things her own way. As I dug her grave in a lovely spot in the garden, half-way through I had to evict a hibernating frog, and I knew that that was right. She was always one to seek a bed that somepug else had already warmed for her, and was even managing it in her grave.

Run free at the Bridge, my darling Crystal. :laugh:

For Crystal, and for all of the other senior pugs who have crossed the bridge after giving so much to us, please light a candle at http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candle...eng&gi=pugs.

You are asked to light a candle there for each of the senior pugs and senior honourary pugs that have left before us and you have been blessed to know.

CrystalAug06.jpg

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,

Our loves are not given, but only lent,

At compound interest of cent per cent.

Though it is not always the case, I believe,

That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,

A short-time loan is as bad as a long--

So why in Heaven (before we are there)

Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling

What a grand little lady she must have been. How wonderful for you to have had her enormous personality and delightful presence in your life. Im sorry you cant cuddle her anymore but you have so many wonderful memories, Im sure she will continue to make you smile and laugh in the future.