Using Human Antihistamines For 6 Month Staffy

2staffys

Zyrtec helped my pup recently with an allergy. That plus neocort cream. And pulling up the patch of wandering jew that the silly animal was using to rub off the neocort cream.... :hug:

In both my contact allergy cases I found a bit of stalking of said animal very useful to work out what was causing the problem.

When I got some from the vet they were only about $5 but was told in an emergency that human ones would have been fine. BUt this was for a bee or insect sting halfway down her throat. Allgeries would ask the guidance of a vet as it seems human ones would be ok but you'd want to get the dosage right.

Here is a guide to human antihistamines, but I would check with the Vet before giving any.

Also, if you use human tablets, check with the Chemist first if you need to half any tablets. Some tablets are slow release and should not have the outer shell ruptured. I mention this because if you use a guide like the one in the link, working out dosage by weight, you often need halves of tablets.

Human Antihistamine Dosage Guide for Dogs and Cats

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to start up yet another thread on antihistamines, so i thought i'd tag onto this recent thread...

my question is, how long should it typically take after administering an antihistamine before you start to see an improvement? His belly and inside of the legs have flared up again. Last year the vet prescribed Apex lotion which i believe is an antibiotic cream similar to Neocort. I still have half a tube left, but cannot make out the expiry date :eek:

I've given my boy Clarantyne for two days now and have only seen a slight improvement. How long should i persevere before trying a different brand, say Zyrtec?

Edited by TYLER23

If the dog is uncomfortable with the allergy, a sponge wash with Calendula Tea might help. Many (including myself) have had much success with it. It has been suggested that it might be prudent to test an area first, to ensure there is no allergic reaction to the Tea itself (as it is plant based) but so far, with the reports I've had from the numbers who have used it that I know of (amounts to perhaps 8 - 12, potentially more) there have been benefits without issues, even for dogs who are sporting grass allergies. Outside of that number there have been about 3 people who have reported no effect one way or the other.

I don't know if this would mess with the trial you are on though, but I would think it shouldn't 'mask' the problem.

I'm not a Vet.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny, i will keep the Calendula Tea in mind. I'm guessing you let the tea soak into the skin and dry naturally, rather than rinsing it off. Is a rinse once a day sufficient? How many days?

I'd prefer to get a result from the antihistamine one way or another before i try something new.

Edited by TYLER23

I didn't want to start up yet another thread on antihistamines, so i thought i'd tag onto this recent thread...

my question is, how long should it typically take after administering an antihistamine before you start to see an improvement? His belly and inside of the legs have flared up again. Last year the vet prescribed Apex lotion which i believe is an antibiotic cream similar to Neocort. I still have half a tube left, but cannot make out the expiry date :eek:

I've given my boy Clarantyne for two days now and have only seen a slight improvement. How long should i persevere before trying a different brand, say Zyrtec?

It could be that the dose you are using is not strong enough, was the dosage rate worked out for you by the vet? Dogs take a way bigger dose than humans, my lab who weighs 34Kg, takes 2 Zyrtec morning and 2 again in the evening when he is bad - human dose = 1 tablet in 24hrs. I would get a vet or dermatologist to work out the dosage for you if you have not already. Saying that we tried Polaramine first and that did absolutely nothing for my dog at all.

Thanks Erny, i will keep the Calendula Tea in mind. I'm guessing you let the tea soak into the skin and dry naturally, rather than rinsing it off. Is a rinse once a day sufficient? How many days?

I'd prefer to get a result from the antihistamine one way or another before i try something new.

Hi Tyler23. Yes - leave the tea to air dry on the skin (no rinsing off). As to how often - I was never told so I just did it about 3 times on the first day of getting on to it (as my dog, who was covered by estimated 500+ hives and was threatening secondary skin infection). Next day was VERY noticeably improved, so did it twice and then backed it down to once a day for the next couple of days. After that I only applied it when I thought things were beginning again or getting worse instead of better. I tend to find there is a noticeable improvement inside 24 hours, so it generally (IME) is not a case of using it for an age before you know.

I used the Calendula before the antihistamine. It turned out I didn't need to administer antihistamine because the Calendula did the job. It is also good to drink as well :eek:.

I noticed an improvement within a day of administering the antihistamines. It was quite obvious too when the tablets were wearing off. They do contain different sorts of antihistamines so sometimes you do need to try a couple. Zyrtec and polaramine are different from claratyne.