Another Breed Suggestion Thread...

mackiemad

thanks sandra for the info on PWD, it sounds like it might fit - though as you said yours might not have been as true to type, a PWD that doesn't like water?! :laugh:

mrs rusty: i hadn't considered a beagle! but yes, it is sleek, can run, maybe a bit destructive but if exercised properly might be swell. a bit smaller than they were looking for but they don't really know what they want anyway so i'll just have to tell them what they need instead. (i think she'll love the ears on a beagle, after all i thik that's the only reason they like my schnauzer!)

i had considered a shorthaired collie (we used to own a lovely rough) but i'm not sure it would cope with being alone most of the day, they are sensitive souls, and it might be too much of a shedder... i had also considered a poodle, of mini or standard size but i don't think they like the poodle, the husband seems to think they are wussy. we know he is wrong but he isn't the most educated, this is a guy that wanted a dobe because it would be a ready made protection dog as well as a jogging partner :(

thanks for the suggestions and help guys, muchos appreciated!

I can't think of many high-energy/very active type dog that would be happy in a courtyard by themselves all day.

Having said that, the right dog in a generally active breed could suit.

For instance, we were in a very similar situation with our australian shepherd girl for a number of years. She was walked for at least 2 hrs a day, an hour in the morning and 1hr+ in the arvo. She was perfectly behaved by herself during the day, but we did get a dog walker in a few times a week to take her out for a run in the middle of the day.

Now aussie sheps are probably too high maintenance coat wise (though tbh, we didn't really do much with our girl- a brush and a bath once a month :( but she seemed like she didn't need much)

So personally I reckon the right Kelpie, BC etc might work, you just have to find a good breeder that really konws ther dogs.

I woulnd't go with either a PWD or Vizsla, both are 'spethial' :) in the nicest possible way :cheer::rofl: A PWD breeder once told me, out of sight = in trouble......Both breeds do need a lot in the first 2 years, I know all dogs do, but these are over and above!!

I have a feeling GSPs could be similar, English pointers may be a bit easier.

Friends with pointers tell me don't get one unless you are prepared for EVERYTHING to be covered in little white hairs ;) I'm sure they are worth it though, lovely.

I have relatives who do endurance, tracking and agility, and are at the top of the game, with tenterfields! :rofl:

i don't disagree at all aussielover! and i am very involved in ensuring that they get the right pup from the right breeder. whilst i think such a high energy breed could work (provided the right pup is chosen) now, when they have a child in a year or three (definitely on the cards) i think they'll regret such a high need/energy dog. though it would get two decent jogs/runs a day atm, when a baby comes along i think it'll only be the husband jogging for a while.

i am trying to slowly get them onto a smaller and more managable and adaptable dog. hence why i love the idea of a beagle (after adoclesence of a few years one good run and a walk with a pram should be enough, plus training sessions, again right pup is always necessary). i personally think if they get off the idea of the large sleek dog that has a good warning bark then they would find a few breeds that would suit them down to the ground.

i guess lots of education from me then?! ahh, another grand final lunch/drinks in order to educate them! :cheer:

I most definitely would not be looking at a dobe. I have had 3 here(at separate times, God I can only handle one at a time,lol). Im on 40 acres and all like to run run run, and when they are bored, they bark bark bark and they wreck stuff like you wouldnt believe and they all hated cats. All needed to "work" their minds and bodies. They not only need physical exercise but really need mental exercise aswell, lots of training to keep the mind busy. Mine were all young dogs though, so really full of energy and nothing seemed to tire them. They are not a dog I would recommend for a new dog owner, always pushing the boundaries, very head strong and you need to have very firm leadership qualities. They are however very smart, loyal and protective. They are suitable for some people, but despite my love for them they are not a breed I go around promoting to every tom dick and harry, and certainly not for a first time dog owner.

A dog is not a fashion statement.

Personally I think a greyhound would be suitable, they would be more than capable of jogging for an hour, if like any dog, you build up to it.

I also think a lab would be suitable, but seeing as its not fashionable at the moment..... :cheer:

Any dog on 2hrs+ of running exercise a day thats suddenly gets its exercised reduced (ie when kids come along) is likely to become destructive.

Why don't they just wait until they have kids and then reassess?

aussielover: a kid is in the future, when they have moved to a bigger place, have a decent amount of dosh to ensure they can get it into a private school (if only they put the same thought into a dog!) and whilst i hate to say it is a practise child (because in essence it isn't) she is feeling the pressure of her ticking clock and is happy to wait for a child but i think she needs and wants to get her mothering instinct out now a bit-she wants soemthign to love so to speak. plus, they just want a dog. the wanted one in london but were renting and weren't really able to. they wanted one when they moved back home around 2 years ago but the wedding and settling in was more important. basically they have wanted a dog for a couple of years but it wasn't the right time. but neither of them were raised with dogs, or animals really, and so have no clue about dogs really... however they have a great lifestyle for a dog except for the fact that they both work full time atm. there is some chance that she will go part-time freelance BUT it isn't on the cards atm.

(and yes, any dog that is doing that much exercise and it gets reduced will become destructive, but i believe that is all part of preparing the dog for the child, when and if she becomes pregnant in the future. something to keep in mind, of course)

they don't like labradors in that they think they are too friendly and gregarious with everyone, that isn't thier style i guess. and that is their choice, personally i'm not a fan of labs either, but that is also because of exercise needs, soemthign that doesn't bother them.

Kaffy: ys a dobe is HIGHLY unsuitable IMHO. i'm really trying to get them off it, i'm not sure they really get the difference between the mental needs of different breeds. they are sold on a registered breeder so i'm slowly getting somewhere. i will get them off the dobe eventually. they are a fab breed, just not for first time owners.

of course fashion isn't that important, but i guess we all like the look of different breeds, i was hamming that up a bit though they are very fashion conciouse and interested people but they woudl not be willing to live with an animal that was completly unsuitable even if it was the coolest thing around!

monah: thanks for the info on PWDs, compiling lots of info and will put it all to them, the good that abd and the ugly. and whilst they may be a bit much for this couple there's nothing wrong with 'spethal' dogs!

again thanks guys! loving the info, it's certainly helping!

When I read this I think of my old stumpy-tail cattle dog. We were given her when she was 18 months; so I actually don't know much about the breed ergo I don't know if she was typical or not for her breed.

She was awesome with kids, gentle, and nothing bothered her. She had a very sweet temperament and was happy to do anything for praise and a cuddle.

She was very trainable, friendly towards other people and dogs, had plenty of energy for running and loved swimming too. Good recall.

She would bark if there was a knock at the door.

Energy wise she could go forever if you wanted her to, but she was also quite happy to restful as well.

As i said though, I don't know if she was typical or not :cheer:

I love the shorthaired gundogs. I was put off having one by many comments about over-the-top behaviour.

I got an adult GR instead and adore her, but would love a GSP, pointer or Vizsla in the future.

I know several people who own Vizslas (with small kids), and yes they are nutty and "spethal" :) , but they are such lovely dogs and the ones I know live in small courtyards in the inner city. None of these people jog their dogs, just walk them in the park once a day.

Same goes with GSPs. MY friends' older GSP is so wonderful with their 3 year old and she gets a game of fetch at the park a day.

Also, in the last year I have watched 2 gorgeous liver GSPs grow from VERY naughty pups into slightly boisterous, lovely young dogs. I was shocked at their craziness when they were pups but its been wonderful watching them mature.

I am sure that if your relatives really love dogs and found a good breeder of either breed they would do just fine. ;)

ETA: I forgot to say- I jog with my GR and she never gets above a trot, most breeds would be able to cope. Staffies make GREAT jogging companions. :cheer:

Edited by ✽deelee

thanks deelee, comofrting words! i always assumed that if we got the chilled pup then a gundog would be ok, but am starting to think otherwise... i think the personaility of a GSP or poiner would really suit them as a couple but it all depends i guess

thanks raineth, another one to consider! i assumed they would be too on the go being a herding breed, but will look into them.

When I read this I think of my old stumpy-tail cattle dog. We were given her when she was 18 months; so I actually don't know much about the breed ergo I don't know if she was typical or not for her breed.

She was awesome with kids, gentle, and nothing bothered her. She had a very sweet temperament and was happy to do anything for praise and a cuddle.

She was very trainable, friendly towards other people and dogs, had plenty of energy for running and loved swimming too. Good recall.

She would bark if there was a knock at the door.

Energy wise she could go forever if you wanted her to, but she was also quite happy to restful as well.

As i said though, I don't know if she was typical or not :rofl:

My cattle dog was also just like this, truly wonderful and underestimated breed!!!! :cheer::):rofl:

I will never be without a Vizsla, but they are extremely full on for the first 2 or 3 years and do require training. The odd one maybe a bit more chilled out, NSW hungarian viz club has excellent resources and advice available for anyone interested in one and also offers a lot of support (which most owners find they NEED ;) :rofl: )

You may also be able to 'take' your friend through some breed threads on here, of breeds they are interested in, to see the comments etc. :rofl:

ncarter: coudl a whippet deal with the exercise requirements? all those i've met love a good romp but not many would be able to cope with 1/2 hour to 1 and 1/2 hour jog every morning...

thanks monah, will keep looking at the ACD. and vizla's are off the list!

Edited by mackiemad