Another Breed Suggestion Thread...

mackiemad

my aunt and her husband are looking to buy a puppy:

they live in a smallish townhouse, but want to be able to take the dog for a nice good walk/jog (hubby runs slow) and they live near a nice park, they have a house down at the beach as well. so a pretty active type dog would be fab. but they both work full time (although children are in the near future) so it would spend some time during the day by itself - i did say that any dog that wants an hour or more of good exercise will destroy the house if not worked in the morning, and they have no problems with one walking in the morning and another exercise shift in the arvo. (they may move to a bigger place in the next few years but atm it's a courtyard during the day)

they want something low shedding, don't mind clipping every few months, but a wash and wear kind of dog.

a largish sized dog is preferable, though they do really like my mini schnauzer

*he* wants something that will be a deterrant to prowlers, and was mentioning things like bite pounds per square inch and silly phrases before i ranted at him for a while. honestly, if it has a good bark then i think that'll be fine, she doesn't want a hassle.

they say they are happy to take it to training/obedience once a week, he says that it will be good for him but i'm not sure that dog sports are in the picture.

they will be first time dog owners and i'm not sure that they want a really intense dog, something a bit easy going, but they don't like labradors (apparantly a bit mumsy?!) and golden retrievers shed too much.

they also want something that is attractive, fashionable i dare say (they always buy things for fashion, blu ray, ipad etc)

i suggested a curly coat retriever (they liked the rarebreed but weren't keen on it being similar to a lab)

currently they are in discussions (i found out today) with a dobe breeder, but i'm not sure they will give enough mental stimulation, nor are firm enough leaders for a dobe. i also worry that they are interested for the 'guard dog' aspect. so i said i'd be happy to go along when they meet the breeder and ask all the health check questions etc, i'm not sure a breeder should be selling a pup to this couple, they are nice, but are not dog people and i don't think they have enough nerve, rules etc for a dobe-i'd worry that they'd end up with a big dog with issues...

so they like the look of a dobe, mastiff, dalmation, english pointer. is there a breed that suits? or do i just say, make sure the breeder picks a low drive pup for them?

i just want to ensure i can give good advice on breeds i haven't owned, thank you!

ETA: the dog will be an inside, outside dog, as in will have acess to the courtyard but will be allowed inside and will sleep inside...

Edited by mackiemad

i suggested that as i personally think it suits their lifestyle, BUT i'm not sure they're sold on the looks and i think they want something with more exercise/jogging for a while ability. would a grey get too tired to jog along for an hour/45mins? i erred on the side of no...

If they are dedicated exercise and training I would suggest having a look at the Portuguese Water Dog - they MUST be prepared to train the dog and keep it's mind occupied. Personally I would think a Dobe wouldd be too much for them, but if they like a smarter sort of dog but without the potential for problems a undertrained Dobe might bring (love the breed but they're too much dog for me) then a PWD might be OK. Unusual, low shedding, loves exercise when fully grown, fun, but they absolutely must exercise and train it. Not a dog for the faint hearted though!

Do they want a breed that is easy to train? Do they want something with a good recall ability with some training?

Some breeds of terriers might suit, some are light shedders and they might like the look if they like your schnauzer. They make good watch dogs and if you pick the right breed they would be happy to go jogging. This depends on if you think they would be strong enough for a terrier temp though?

The Dalmatians I know wouldn't cope in that situation, they would be destroying things in no time. I know some DOLers have more laid back Dals than what I am used to though.

we have to dals.... sophie who is on foster is hyper... sniffing and off doing all the time although getting better!

leo is the reverse. he will sleep 26 hours a day if you let him... take him for a run and he will run under sufferance... but the second you stop he's down for the count again.

he is smart... she is smarter... he loves food and will do anything to get it. she thinks your silly asking sit... with food in hand.... her attention is 100% on the food not on the task.

you sure they wouldn't like a jrt? :rofl: :rofl: :D

alyosha: i did consider a GSP, but i've always thought that they didn't have as much of an 'off' switch as an english pointer (thuogh i've had neither breed, so i may be totally wrong!) and might not like hanging out at home all day?

sandra: i hadn't considered the PWD, and i don't know a whole lot about them? (off to do a bit more research now...-they'll LOVE that obama has one, pathetic isn't it!) i'm glad you think that a dobe might be too much, that's what i was thinking but then i thought maybe i was being a bit harsh on the dobe?

i don't think they're the kinds of people that would go to a dog show and have a look, they wouldn't consider that it takes a lot of effort for a lot of the coats on display either...

lyndsay: i was going to steer them away from terriers just because of the higher drive that they have, after all, a schnauzer has a lot less drive than many terriers. i also thought that my schnauzer might struggle with what they want for exercise, i know a lot of terriers will be fine with it, but i assumed that they would all have too much 'drive' to be suitable for these owners. i think they like the ears and 'spunk' of the schnauzer but i do think they want something larger and sleeker, though coat is something they are willing to deal with/work around. what kinds of terriers may suit? and i did mention that i'm not sure a dally would be suitable, too much energy for them i think.

i guess i'm just concerned that they seem to want something pretty high energy that won't destroy the house during the day but they need something that is a bit more easy going as they aren't 'dog people' per se... though it would be well loved and provided for

i haven't had a whole lot firsthand experience with pointers, would they actually be suitable?

In terms of terriers, my dog's former owner used to go running with him. He said he used to jog on the spot a lot because Grumpy insisted on stopping at every interesting smell. And I have to say, even though we don't run, I do a lot of standing around while Grump makes sure there aren't any vermin and badgers on our walks. I think terriers have to have owners that are a little crazy. *waves to self*

Edited by Sheridan

would a phaoroh hound suit?

i know they're sighthounds, but if off lead running was done on weekends and occasionlly on weeknights, would that be ok? can they be left at home?

Too much dog for someone not used to hounds I think and I would not recommend that someone new to them pick them as a dog you can offleash run with. You really can't choose a sighthound if offleash running in built up areas is what you want to do.

You could try PMing sighthounder. He has a Pharaoh and a Saluki. I didn't recommend Salukis even tho' they can run for ages because they are a challenging first dog and offleash running is really out of the question. I think Pharaohs are similarly challenging.

Edited to say that time of day doesn't really matter. A car or a cat or a roo or a rabbit or a SWF can appear from nowhere at any time of day.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I think they are fortunate to have your guidance. Lets hope they listen!

As a whippet owner I am duty bound to promote them though they offer little in the way of intruder deterrent potential. Low maintenance, enjoy exercise, slightly unusual (we get stopped a lot).

A greyhound would be perfect too and maybe the size would provide the guard dog potential.

What do people think of a Vizsla? I think they look beautiful and I have met some who didn't seem to need to run 12 hours a day.

thanks magpie, from what i've read they seemed to be a good fit, but you never know unless you meet them or chat to ppl with experience of the breed!

bryan, woudl a whippet deal with a good half hour jog in the morning? i thought they were burst runners...although haveing said that i guess i have met one or two that coudl cope with the energy requirements. i'm not sure they'd go for the msall size though, but i'll just have to work harder to get them to understand!

i had considered a vizla, along with the GSP and english pointer, but out of the three breeds i assumed they were the ones that didn't have an off switch and might be more destructive. but i've nevver lived with any of them, and would love some guidance on the differences between these breeds to actually live with! i assumed that the GSP was a bit more individual, the pointer needs more exercise but will turn off easier when you're around and the vizla is always 'come on guys, lets do soemthing!'

thanks for the help guys- keep the suggestions coming!

What about a beagle?

They can run all day and all night... Or is that too small.

Dogs I've seen out with runners - border collies, keplies, and staffordshire bull terriers - I kid you not. And the occasional doodle. A full poodle would probably be ok. I think the German Shepherd, Malinois dogs have good endurance too. Sled dogs would also have good endurance - though I'm not sure how much fun their coats would be to look after. There is also a short haired collie (like Lassie only with short hair) gorgeous looking dog and would be good for long runs. Those and cattle dogs have a major coat shedding period about twice a year on change of season. I find a good brush every couple of days and a sabco dry mop helps deal with that.

Maybe they should check out what dogs are jogging with their bosses on the beach. Or check out what dogs are doing endurance tests (the latest dog sport).

I knew a GSP which would run about 50km back to its old home when ever it was left alone longer than an hour. It ended up choosing itself a new home with a stay at home mum and kids.

You could get them to try out this - it's not perfect but it does provide reasons why or why not a breed would suit.

http://dogtime.com/matchup/start

PWD's I owned one but I'm not sure she had a breed-typical temperament, she was raised with Staffords :)

A bit on the skittish side but easily settled. Needed something to do every day - no more destructive than the Staffords (mine aren't particularly anyway) not as bad as many websites will make them out to be. VERY smart but not fawning or obsessive. Loved puzzles (knots tied in cloth, hide-and-seek) had plenty of persistency. Didn't much like to be far from me, very attached to her people but not in a whinging escape artist way, if not with me she was subdued, if not with me and OH she lay quietly and was reluctant to interact. Not at all aggressive towards strangers but not overwhealmingly friendly (not like Staffords who don't know the meaning of the word stranger!) Easy to train but not big on precision (would do heel work all day for example, but not always exactly where you'd want her to be for competion work. Maybe that was my fault). Very hard to physically tire her out once full grown. Thought she was a lap dog, was something like being hugged by a wookie. Very sweet natured but no shy retiring type - certainly wasn't intimidated by the Staffords. Did tend to feel the heat. Mine didn't like water :thumbsup:

SERIOUSLY CUTE!

Dogs I've seen out with runners - border collies, keplies, and staffordshire bull terriers - I kid you not.

Not sure why a running SBT should surprise you? They are extremely athletic dogs - they're not meant to be grossly fat or overdone sumo wrestlers - more the middle weight boxer look for them.

I just didn't see SBT as the endurance kind of dog. More as a sprinter. I should know better, my brother has one and she's only just started to like sitting by the fire instead of barrelling around the house. At 10 yo. And I think thats only because her joints are starting to get sore.

Sprinters are althletic too, just built and trained for short bursts of speed in intervals, instead of all day running. And the 100m sprinters (humans) tend to carry a lot more muscle and body mass than the triathletes.

I found an endurance article on the web about someone who trained their cavalier spaniels to do the 20km doggy endurance test. I think from the description, it was harder on the humans than the dogs.