Dry Food That Does Not Contain Wheat, Corn Or Soy?

Erny

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noisy - there's a link in post #21. At the top of the website, there's a person's name and contact number for each State. I found you have to be pretty quick to catch the number before it flicks off to the next ad, but if that happens you just need for the names to come back up again.

I offered my boy another cup of the Black Hawk (would be the 3rd cup today - 2 cups at breakfast which he ate quite eagerly and completely). He ate some, but left the rest. Could be that he's not hungry. I hope that's the only reason. I'm waiting with interest for him to do a poop. But it is raining so I think he's holding on.

I'm a little confused regards quantity to feed at the moment. When I work it out on weight in the imperial side of things, I should be feeding 3.5 cups. But when I work the metric guide back to cups it suggests I should be feeding 1.8 cups.

I've emailed Black Hawk (Sherel) and waiting for a response to clarify.

Edited by Erny

I am feeding Dusty less of black hawk than I was with the other kibbles. In a week she has not lost any weight and in fact she looks absolutely stunning at the moment. She weighs about 26 kg and she has about a cup of kibble for dinner plus a small handful at bedtime and a raw chicken drum for breakfast.

That isn't much for a dog of her size but Benson has a similar amount and he's a fair bit bigger than her and looks good too.

Edited by GayleK

I just moved my two from Eagle Pack hollistic (due to supply issues) to Artemis (just the normal adult formula not maximal). It is like they are on speed!!!!!! :p As soon as this bag is gone they are definately going on something else. I had to change their excercise from 1/2 hour a day to an hour a day and they are still jumping off the walls.

What do you recommend that is similar to the Eagle Pack hollistic?

Guest belgian.blue

Had a look at Black Hawk and looks great. I'm tempted to switch my two over. Cheaper than Nutro also.

Would the adult lamb and rice be ok to feed an 8 month old large breed puppy? He has been on puppy dry since 8 weeks and also eats raw chicken minced carcass. I'd only get a 20kg bag between the two dogs so that is why I wonder if he could eat it. I don't have room for 40kg of dry food!

How big are the pieces?

I'm feeding it to my 6 month old Aussie. At the moment he's getting it mixed with Supercoat puppy so I can finish the last of the bag, but it seems to have a high enough protein content for growing puppies, I give him more than the other two get though.

The pieces are small....probably Eagle Pack size only round.....I think EP or more like flattened discs.

belgian blue: i've never worried feeding beet pulp because i feed it to my horses as fibre and bulk to push through their guts. by the time it is processed there is little sugar in it, well so the feed suppliers and other horsepeople tell me and my fizzy horse is pretty chill on it so i believe them. however i wouldn't feed a kibble that has it very high up and it can be used merely as a filler...not that i'm saying this is the case with black hawk

BUT i've heard that with dogs prone to ear infections or yeast infections beet pulp can encourage this?

currently i am feeding a food with no beet pulp in it (mini schnauzer that has had 2 ear infections in 3 years, same ear. both times it has cleared up so we haven't checked to see if there is somethign down there causing it). does anyone know if this is true or is an urban myth?

erny: bummer that he's not eating atm. but sounds fab that his poos have been better after the black hawk kibble. keep updating please, i'm interested to know how it turns out- and good luck!

Guest belgian.blue
Is beet pulp a form of sugar?

Your question inspired me to go searching, BB and in doing so I found an article that will provide the answer - see link below :

The Benefits of Beet Pulp in Pet Food

From the article :

After the sugar has been extracted, the remaining pulp contains very little sugar, but is valuable as a fiber and energy source.

Thanks Erny.

belgian blue: i've never worried feeding beet pulp because i feed it to my horses as fibre and bulk to push through their guts. by the time it is processed there is little sugar in it, well so the feed suppliers and other horsepeople tell me and my fizzy horse is pretty chill on it so i believe them. however i wouldn't feed a kibble that has it very high up and it can be used merely as a filler...not that i'm saying this is the case with black hawk

BUT i've heard that with dogs prone to ear infections or yeast infections beet pulp can encourage this?

currently i am feeding a food with no beet pulp in it (mini schnauzer that has had 2 ear infections in 3 years, same ear. both times it has cleared up so we haven't checked to see if there is something down there causing it). does anyone know if this is true or is an urban myth?

Had a look at both Nutro foods I'm currently feeding and both have dried beet pulp at number four on the list. The more I compare the more I'm loving the look of Black Hawk. My two aren't fussy.

erny: bummer that he's not eating atm. but sounds fab that his poos have been better after the black hawk kibble. keep updating please, i'm interested to know how it turns out- and good luck!

It is, although it is not unusual. He ate his cooked chicken and then about half a cup's worth of the Black Hawk not so long ago today. So that's ok.

I don't wish to take it away from Black Hawk, but feel I need to point out that Mandela's poop has often improved when I have introduced a new fibre inclusive food. This occurred when I initially included red kidney beans with his cooked chicken. Then went down hill. Improved when I introduced lentils. Then went down hill. Has also improved when he ate the Royal Canin and a bit of the Canidae ALS - but he then stopped eating that food. IMO this is absolutely no slight or reflection on these foods - it is just my dog.

That's why I'm not attributing what's occurring to the Black Hawk just yet. And also why I am not doing too much over the top celebrating at this point of time.

This is also why I have been working on his health/digestive issues for so long now. It can go really well for quite a while (or not) and then stop in its tracks. So it is a lot of hoping with bated breath and being happy for any small improvement, even if it turns out to be a temporary reprieve.

One small extra bit of info I will tentatively put out here is that yes, his poop is improved just as it has on some other occasions, but it has been a long time since I've seen it quite that much improved. :laugh:

I'm getting a little lost with all the food names mentioned here (not that I mind - just means I'll need to re-fresh by re-reading) so perhaps it has already been mentioned, but does Natural Balance have no Wheat, Corn or Soy either?

I'm getting a little lost with all the food names mentioned here (not that I mind - just means I'll need to re-fresh by re-reading) so perhaps it has already been mentioned, but does Natural Balance have no Wheat, Corn or Soy either?

From the web site:

Natural Balance has:

Premium Ingredients

Rice, Australian lamb, corn gluten meal, tallow, Omega MagicTM essential oil blend, oat bran, FOS, yucca extract, sodium HMP, natural flavours, vitamins A D3 E K3 B1 B2 B3 B5 B6 B12, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper (from Sulphate), Copper Chelate, Zinc (from Sulphate), Zinc Chelate, Manganese (from Oxide), Manganese Chelate, Iron (from Sulphate), Iron Chelate, Selenium, Iodine, and Calcium. Product protected by natural mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract.

Our Collies have been on Innova for about 8 months.

yes I know it is imported by the Pets paradise group but I buy mine from Pet Goods Direct.

I fed the Innova Adult Large Breed Kibble and they have a little bit of Innova Flex Canned Food.

A 13.6 kg bag lasts me at least 6 weeks and that is feeding 2 adult Rough Collies

They absolutely love it. :(

The Kibble is a decent size too so their teeth are getting a clean too.

I received my samples of Black Hawk the other day. I offered them a few pieces and the look I got from them was " :):( you expect me to eat that!". Even my "hoover on legs :eek: " would not have a bar of it no matter how hard I tried to encourage them.

Feed whatever works best for your dog and what the dog likes and does well on best is what I have always been told.

The Collies love the Innova so they will stay on that.