Dry Food That Does Not Contain Wheat, Corn Or Soy?

Erny

I've just started using Black Hawk Holistics for my foster cats and have been very pleased, so we've also just got a bag of dog food for the foster dogs. It's made in Australia and is isn't incredibly expensive.

http://www.kylainknls.com/food.htm

The puppy formula has wheat flour, but the adult one doesn't have corn, or wheat.

The adult dog formula.

Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Oats, Rice Bran, Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbyl Palmitate), Brewers Dried Yeast, Lecithin, Natural Lamb Flavour, Dried Carrots, Dried Kelp, Choline Chloride, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Blueberries, Dandelion, Peppermint, Rosemary. Tomato Meal, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, DL-Methionine, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey erny my boy didn't like the canidae either, he is currently on the proplan salmon. he likes it well enough but not in love with it...

seomone asked somewhere in this thread whether there could be a problem changing from a normal amount of protein to a higher one. if you don't do it carefully and the dog has a propensity there anyway, it can affect the kidneys. when my dog was having steroid injections for a shoulder issue (a course of 4 over two week intervals) my vet reccomended that i try and move him onto a lower protein food. but i had just got him settled on the canidae (though he didn't usually eat much of it, but silly me threw away the bag after decanting into my storage so even if i had wanted to return it i couldn't!) so kept going with that.

my dog doesn't have any allergies but he has a sensitve tummy, seems to react to beef (don't they all?!) corn and wheat.

aphra, how much is black hawk? how big are the bags? i have heard one or two good thngs about it and was thinking of getting some it if the proplan is less than satisfactory (though atm it is fine, not sure his coat is the best... but his stools are fine, and he is eating it)

All good.

Erny, if you do end up with Nutro, just be certain it isn't one that contains wheat flour.

PF- Platinum was actually her favourite. It has a mix of meat proteins so offers a bit more interest for some dogs.

I wish I could still be testing foods and reporting back, but that is all in the past now.

Sags

Has Evie gone to the bridge Sags?

Thanks for the report on the Platinum. I'll get some for the crumblies.

All good.

Erny, if you do end up with Nutro, just be certain it isn't one that contains wheat flour.

PF- Platinum was actually her favourite. It has a mix of meat proteins so offers a bit more interest for some dogs.

I wish I could still be testing foods and reporting back, but that is all in the past now.

Sags

Has Evie gone to the bridge Sags?

Thanks for the report on the Platinum. I'll get some for the crumblies.

She finally missed TBCSITW and her brother, mum and auntie too much. Her health was excellent but her mobility suddenly disappeared and that was the signal that it was time. We miss her so much.

aphra, how much is black hawk? how big are the bags? i have heard one or two good thngs about it and was thinking of getting some it if the proplan is less than satisfactory (though atm it is fine, not sure his coat is the best... but his stools are fine, and he is eating it)

I paid $75 for 20 kilos, which a really good price. Cat food is $80 for 20 kgs, on par with Whiskas dry but much better nutritional profile. I don't think you have to buy 20kg bags, you can get other sizes.

She finally missed TBCSITW and her brother, mum and auntie too much. Her health was excellent but her mobility suddenly disappeared and that was the signal that it was time. We miss her so much.

Really sorry to hear this. :cry:

I'm yet to lose a dog. I'm not looking forward to it. :rofl:

One of my dogs found the Artemis Maximal too rich unfortunately. :rofl: I guess there's no reason you can't try their other varieties. The osopure looks great as it's their 'low residue' variety. I contacted K9KatzKitchen and she gave me some samples to try, maybe send a PM?

I'm keen to try the Black Hawk Holistic.

My Stafford girl has been eating RC Prescription Sensitivity Control as it's Blue Whiting and Tapioca with hydrolysed poultry liver, it does have soya oil in it but that's it. She gets a bit fussy but generally eats with gusto and it smells nom to me. :cry: The others like it as training treats since it smells like fish.

Hi :(

I'm hoping to save a whole packet of time and trudging through sites to find out the answer to my question, so I thought I'd pop in here first as someone might have this answer right there at their fingertips.

I'm looking for a good quality dry food that does not contain wheat, corn or soy.

Anyone know?

Artemis or Canidae :laugh:

I'm feeding Howie the Canidae All Life Stages grain free atm. As it has other vegetable fillers, the protein on it isn't through the roof like Artemis Maximal.

I feed Luna Canidae ALS grain free and love it :laugh: except that my order still hasn't come and Luna is out of food (they only had big bags and I didn't want to order 6.8 kgs of food when my dog is 3 kg :confused:)

I have also tried Artemis but prefer Canidae :laugh:

Hi Erny if you are any where near Cranbourne the large fruit and vege market on the highway in Cranbourne have the Canidae ( spelling) All life stages 13.6kg bag for $99 they have it as a trial run and said if enough people purchase it, it will be a regular item at there store as the said it is good stuff. The Market is only open Wed-Sat.

I have purchased many brands over the last 4 years for Bindi our JRT fussy lil devil and the only others she would eat are the Artemis, and Evo/Innova but don't like buying from you know who, and since having the Canidae she eats this with guttso and runs in little happy circles and sits and lifts her little paw up when it's feed time, so I think I'm on a winner.

Edited by mrsgrumblebum

Thanks Mrsgrumblebum. I purchased a 2.something bag of the Canidae ALS from Robbo's (I was passing by) and it was around $30. So the price you've mentioned sounds really good. I only got it today and it's been a bit of a busy and almost hellish day, so I haven't gotten around to testing it out on my boy as yet. If it is a winner (ie if he seems to go for it readily) I'll take a visit to the store you mention. I'm in Berwick and not always passing through Cranbourne, but for the price it sounds as though it would be worth the trip.

Thanks Mrsgrumblebum. I purchased a 2.something bag of the Canidae ALS from Robbo's (I was passing by) and it was around $30. So the price you've mentioned sounds really good. I only got it today and it's been a bit of a busy and almost hellish day, so I haven't gotten around to testing it out on my boy as yet. If it is a winner (ie if he seems to go for it readily) I'll take a visit to the store you mention. I'm in Berwick and not always passing through Cranbourne, but for the price it sounds as though it would be worth the trip.

Canidae ALS - $100 15.9 kg, $67.60 6.8 kg, $28.75 2.27 kg. Nutro rep should be able to send out samples as they do have them. Maybe pop up to Beaconsfield.

Try PMing collies02 for a sample of Black Hawk Holistic. She sent me a very generous free sample and my dogs loved it so I'm currently arranging to have 40 kgs delivered. It does not contain corn, wheat or soy and it appears to be a top quality product.

Fledge is also keen on the Canidae ALS. It's apparently not quite as palatable to her as the Royal Canin, but she still likes it, and I also kind of worry about the very palatable foods (what do they put in them to make the dogs scarf them up like McDonalds?!)

I did some research before I bought it, there was a kerfuffle a few years ago when they changed the formula & some dogs got diarrhoea from the change, but Fledgie has been find on it, so I wonder if it was the sudden change that was the problem for those dogs more than anything else?

Well, the Canidae ALS is proving to be "so so" for Mandela. A bit "if I must" and only when he has REALLY become hungry (ie missed a couple of chicken meals.) It doesn't much turn him on, but he will eat it at a pinch. Not dissimilar to the Royal Canin "Sensible". But that's a step better than the Canidae Salmon which he wouldn't touch at all.

Still investigating.

I'm only going down the dry food track because as far as fresh meat is concerned, the ONLY thing he will eat is cooked chicken. And he needs something else to help firm up his stools. The addition of vegies for fibre - it's rare for him to eat them. Yet as a pup, he had quite a bit of raw meat (chicken, lamb, beef) bones and a variety of vegies which he used to vacuum up so fast it was scarey.

Edited by Erny

Erny my pup Amber is pretty much refusing to eat kibble. She eats it one bit at a time and looks miserable the whole time. I've tried a heap of different kibbles, even Pal! She does eat the Phuds though (sort of like VAN). Have you tried VAN or anything like that? Oats?

I'm only going down the dry food track because as far as fresh meat is concerned, the ONLY thing he will eat is cooked chicken. And he needs something else to help firm up his stools. The addition of vegies for fibre - it's rare for him to eat them. Yet as a pup, he had quite a bit of raw meat (chicken, lamb, beef) bones and a variety of vegies which he used to vacuum up so fast it was scarey.

Your boy is so interesting. :laugh:

Will he eat chicken with bones if you just sear the outside to make it taste cooked? More bones might reduce the need for vegetables.

Perhaps he knows something you don't, though, if he has gut issues I guess raw chicken might not be the best thing to feed him since his natural gut defences against Salmonella etc would be weak. :laugh:

Your boy is so interesting. :laugh:

Will he eat chicken with bones if you just sear the outside to make it taste cooked? More bones might reduce the need for vegetables.

I have tried this (actually, just warmed them up a little) and on the first attempt, it seemed to work as he did eat them. But the bone content caused constipation big time (poor pup - yelping/straining). I do think it relates to his digestion not processing the bone properly (just my opinion). Even one chicken wing can cause this. But I can go through 10 chicken wings (given over weeks) and he'll turn his nose up. Months later he might eat one. I have wasted many bones/chicken carcasses and wings this way - it is hard to tell when he will eat them and when he won't. The other day he did have a gnaw on a couple of lamb bones but his stools went backwards. Whether they were the cause or not I don't know, because his stool 'quality' is always up and down - more often down than up, but at least "up" figures into the equation now. And last night for the first time in months he actually picked up his big beef bone that's been hanging around for ages. Prior to that he has barely touched it, as though he doesn't even like the taste of it enough to carry it around. For a long time now I have found that if he does eat bones (a rarity, as you would have gathered), he is more inclined to eat them (if he is going to at all) if they are a few days old and the meat on them has dried out a bit. Yet the small couple I offered a few days ago were fresh and he seemed to enjoy tucking into them for a little while. I am concerned about him chomping the bone though because it doesn't seem to be being digested very well and I think bits of the bone hurt him as they work their way through. So after he'd had a gnaw (at least his teeth got a bit of a clean) and then left them, I collected them and threw them away. Pity.

Perhaps he knows something you don't, though, if he has gut issues I guess raw chicken might not be the best thing to feed him since his natural gut defences against Salmonella etc would be weak. :laugh:

Whatever the reasons would be, I do tend to trust him on this to a good degree.

If Mandela likes fish, have you tried feeding canned salmon or tuna. I get the pink salmon and the tuna in brine from Aldi for my dogs. Much cheaper than other supermarkets for fish. Many of my friends also feed the cheaper canned mackeral.

I once had a dog with gout and she was not allowed to have any red meat or sardines for a whole year. She lived on salmon, tuna, brown rice or barley and vegetables. Sometimes I made up a white sauce of carnation or lactose free milk, thickened with cornflour to make like a mornay and my dogs now love this as well. You may not be able to do this though if you can't use the cornflour.

Anyway my fish dog never looked better, her coat gleamed and she survived quite well on her fish diet.

I no longer use any dry dog food and have fed a combination of raw meats/bones and veges, eggs and canned fish, with a little brown rice or barley, successfully for over 10 years now.