Dogs And Tricks

persephone

Staranais

That would be so hard having to come first! How do newbie triallers manage to get a foot in against the seasoned competitors and dogs?

In agility I've placed a few times (a second and a couple of thirds) but I've never come first. Considering we are now in a higher level, and are a 600 jumping dog I don't like my chances of coming first unless in a separate heights trial :) Those 400 and 500 dogs have an advantage of speed and turning ability over the big guys.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

like the 2nd poster I see anything you train could be seen as a trick.

I think the most important thing is that a dog is spending time with its human, learning and being mentally stimulated. If you achieve that through tricks then that's just fine in my opinion :laugh:

huski, I thought your heeling looked excellent - I loved watching it :)

I teach them tricks to stimulate their brains. I do free shaping with the clicker - it really is about promoting problem solving rather than learning a particular thing. My boy gets sooooo excited when theclicker comes out and starts to offer all sorts of behaviour.

I only use positive methods when trick training - tricks are for them to enjoy, not me. I want to encourage them to try new things, not shut them down with corrections.

I teach them tricks to stimulate their brains. I do free shaping with the clicker - it really is about promoting problem solving rather than learning a particular thing. My boy gets sooooo excited when theclicker comes out and starts to offer all sorts of behaviour.

I only use positive methods when trick training - tricks are for them to enjoy, not me. I want to encourage them to try new things, not shut them down with corrections.

This. Tricks have actually had a practical application for me as well. I have highly reinforced a number of easy tricks so much that I can get this behaviours from my fearful girl in most situations. They are a great warm-up exercise in new places. I have also used them as an ice-breaker for when visitors come over. We do a few tricks and we are all calm, so we go and greet our visitor in a lovely calm, appropriate way. Having said that, I'm sure I could have acheived similar results with a different approach.

I love to teach tricks. As well as being heaps of fun, it allows me to practise lots of things that I will later use for competition. I get to build a strong history of reward before I start competition work. I get to see how my dogs brain works. I get to practise my timing. I get to communicate to my dogs that I want quick responses from them. It gives us something to form a relationship with while they are too young to do any serious training. It gives us things to do as warm up exercises.

I think the dancing dog was extreme. I am impressed with the training that went into it, but not convinced that the dog was that happy.

I LOVE watching focussed heelwork, the happier the dog looks, the better the heelwork is to me.

What tricks does your dog do ?

The basics (sit, stay etc)

Left paw

Right paw

Stand on three legs

Play drums

Say your prayers

Open doors

Close cupboards

Fetch

Pick up all toys in yard and hand to me one by one

Hold an object until I tell her to release

Follow me side by side while holding an object

Find specific object which I hide in yard

Shy

Play dead

Bow

Back up

Crawl

Take off my socks

Take off my hat

Kiss

weave

Spin

Beg

Dribble a ball

Why did you teach that trick/those tricks in particular?

I teach ticks because we both have fun and I don’t know what else to teach her! It is nice to teach a trick, feed her lots, tell her how wonderful and amazing she is and then have a good giggle or cuddle in between.

Was it something your dog gravitated naturally toward?

Yup! I don’t even know how I teach her things half the time. She figures it out somehow and helps me along, bless her! :)

I don’t teach Bubby because he is not naturally inclined that way and does not get Bitty’s joy from it so I offer him the things he prefers.

Did you teach as a pup, or as an older dog?

Pup. I gave her two days grace when she came home and then we started clicker training.

I love teacing tricks, Buster doesn't like doing a lot. He stresses if I take him outso I tend not to, he doesn't do any sports and he's pretty lazy but he loves shaping games.

Quinn I've probably taught as much as Buster already and she's only 4 months old, I figured I;d just get her to start learning while she was a sponge. She needs the stimulation and I love watching her learn. Plus its impressive at puppy class. lol

Charlie

Shake paw (both paws)

High 5 (both paws)

Wave bye bye

Go to bed (he put his head down to his paws and close his eyes)

He can count by nose targeting

Shake his head no

Tell Emmy to shut up (he put his paw on her nose)

Search for objects

He can find his daddy, me and Emmy when we ask him 'Where's [insert daddy or mummy or Emmy]?'

Speak

Grumble

Emmy

Shake paw (both paws)

High 5 (both paws)

Wave bye bye

Tell Charlie to shut up (she put her paw on his head)

She can find her daddy, me and Charlie when we ask him 'Where's [insert daddy or mummy or Charlie]?'

Light out (jump on bed and get herself comfortable for bed)

Dance

High 10

Beg

Crawl

Spin

Be shy

Roll over

Belly rub (she turns to her back straight away)

Those are all i can remember right now.

I teach my 2 tricks because it's fun for them and for me. It also challenges their little (and sneaky) brains of theirs. But I admit that I teach them the tricks but I don't care if they don't preform their tricks in front of an audience or anything. It's just for the dogs and me. Our way of spending time together and bonding.

Emmy picks up tricks very fast. She can learn one or two tricks in one night... but has terrible focus. Whereas Charlie has awesome focus and he will work on one trick till he gets it right.

They both started how to do tricks as puppies (Emmy is still one) but I've taught older dogs how to do tricks too :laugh:

Also it's one of the best ways I know that can tire them out! :)

I have taught my older dogs lots of 'tricks' but my youngest only knows one 'trick' and that was only taught because when we did the Dock Dogs they wanted the dogs doing tricks on the dock to please the crowd! I trained tricks with Rogan mainly to teach me more about shaping behaviours and most of them are for warm up exercisees in agility - spin left, spin right, bow, back up etc. He does know useless shake a paw and speak too :laugh: I encourage people in my obedience classes to teach a trick, to try and get them to think about splitting up the exercise then marking and rewarding behaviours in a less formal way. They can get so intense about training exercises that are going to be assessed, a trick shows them they can teach someting in a fun way!

As for the heeling, I do not like the extreme heads up wrap around style. I can't watch the video's, but I am pretty sure I know what they look like. We are seeing more and more of this style in the Australian obedience ring and I have to say if it becomes the norm and expected then I'll probably stop competing. I don't have the time nor inclination to train this style. I also have dogs I compete in retrieving trials with and the last thing I want is the dog wrapped around looking at me when I do a walk up retrieve!! Trust me, even though he's not looking lovingly at my face, he knows exactly where I am :D I have even been pinged in the obedience ring for crowding with him :)

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments implying that dogs who are taught 'tricks' aren't allowed to be themselves, or 'dogs' ?? Orbit LOVES learning new things - anyone who knows him knows that he has a wonderfully clown personality and he just loves to offer me different things because it makes me laugh and we have fun.

I teach Orbit things, not because I want him to be a circus dog but because he genuinely loves it. Like others, he loves when the clicker comes out and he realises he's learning something new. Danes were bred to hunt boar, but obviously I can't take him hunting every day, so I do other things to stimulate him mentally.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised at some of the comments implying that dogs who are taught 'tricks' aren't allowed to be themselves, or 'dogs' ??

I was also a bit surprised, too. Sometimes I feel that there's an element of judgement from some people about teaching dogs tricks but to be honest, as I've said in another post, dog-raising appears to be much like child-rearing in the sense that every person has their own views about what is 'right'. I know some people who believe that desexing, any sort of training or house-training is 'wrong' because it is unnatural.

I'm a bit baffled that some people will say: "house training and obedience are ok but tricks are not good because they de-dog the dog" etc - when I suspect it's more like: "This is right because it's what I choose to do."

As I've said, my dog is very happy and entertained. He likes his tricks and I believe his cheeky, hyperactive personality comes out in his tricks - the way he bounces and boings into the heel position is hysterical, his exuberant spins and high fives ... I like to think that the tricks not only occupy his mind and give him something to do but they allow us to learn more things about our dog's personality. Tricks and training aren't suitable for all dogs but for the dogs that like it - I don't see any harm in it as long as they enjoy it and aren't injuring themselves physically.

Edited by koalathebear

I teach my dog tricks because I like to see his brain work. The end trick isn't the entertaining part for me, it's watching him learn.

Like others have said, my dog isn't in a "natural" or working environment, thus, he gets his mental stimulation through "unnatural" means: learning tricks. I don't see the problem - it's hardly to his detriment.

As for showing a natural inclination towards certain tricks...he hasn't :) He's a fast learner but aside from your basic sit/down stuff, he doesn't naturally offer any "trick" behaviours. Aside from automatically trying to put his balls (toys, not testicles :laugh:) in his basket - that one surprised me!

I can't say that I'm a fan of the "neck twisted, glued to your leg" heel and don't intend on teaching it to James. The only time he naturally does it is if I've praised him and he's waiting a good couple of minutes for me to extricate a treat from my pocket that he knows is coming.

Edited by Niques

Jessie (stumpy tail cattle dog X) will:

sit

lay down

shake hands

stay

beg

jump through a hula hoop

jump

stand

roll over

roll all the way over (I call it a "commando roll" :) )

crawl (creep along while still laying down)

Tilly (kelpie X coolie) will:

sit

lay down

shake hands

stay

beg

jump over things (sawhorses, picnic benches, etc)

roll over

I taught these tricks to Jessie a while ago...it started with her learning to shake hands and as long as I used schmackos she seemed to learn tricks really quickly.

Tilly was about 8 months old when I got her and she didn't have any training. She has loads of enthusiasm and loves to please. Basic things like sit, lay down and stay are just things that I wanted her to know so she could be more obedient.

Jessie would do anything for a schmacko, so i'd say she gravitated naturally towards doing tricks.

Tilly loves food and affection, and is a clever and switched on dog (but she is pretty impulsive at times), so doing tricks for food and pats is right up her alley! :wave: I haven't taught as many things to Tilly yet, I should though!

Jessie was about 1 when we got her, and was probably about 2-3 when I taught her most of her tricks.

Tilly is about 2, so she has learnt some tricks while she is young.

Back to the OP

Yes I teach my dog tricks and did more of them when he got older and had all the boring obedience and being well behaved down pat. It keeps him stimulated and I know he enjoys it much more than obedience as he gets really excited when he sees the clicker come out.

It also helps to keep him occupied on rainy days or, because he recently ripped off a nail, when he can't go for runs and walks.

I didn't do any tricks with my old dog except for shake hands, which she basically taught us

I do tricks with Mindy becasue she is more mischievous and I think she does enjoy figuring out what i want her to do.

When i checked with guide dogs if it was ok to teach her tricks, they said it was fine (so long they didn't involve jumping) and encouraged it because it gets the puppies used to focussing on you and keeps their minds busy.

A lot of her tricks are actually "useful" such as bringing in the newspaper each morning (Sundays she gets a day off :) ), opening doors, opening draws, fetching water bottles etc.

But some are just for fun :wave:

I wouldn't do tricks with her though if she didn't seem keen.

Same way a kid is taught to be polite and eat with the knife and fork in the correct hand.

Ah but which is the "correct" hand? :)

I think a lot of this debate depends on your definition of trick.

All of my dogs will turn on command - turn 180 degrees - and Faxon will weave between my legs.

Some people would see the dogs turning as a trick for me it is essential. They need to turn on command in the hydrobath and on the grooming table as they are too big to manhandle.

Faxon learned to weave because he loves going between my legs so weaving just became an extension of that.

As an obedience instructor I ask people to teach their dog a trick as a way for them to have fun learning with their dog. People get sucked into this mindset that obedience training is a serious business and they forget about enjoying being with their dog. Getting them to do something non-serious with their dog breaks this down.

Bear.

Staranais

That would be so hard having to come first! How do newbie triallers manage to get a foot in against the seasoned competitors and dogs?

Not many. :) There are two "practice" levels, and five "real" levels, and you don't get any title until you win into the top level (which means winning each preceding level twice). The best I've done so far is win into the first "real" level with a staffy. I was happy, though!

I'd be happy with that result :)

Don't see how it encourages new people though - would be so disheartening! I am so glad the system here allows you to gain titles on a qualifying basis and that there are several levels all of which earn you a title after a certain number of qualifies.

I'd be happy with that result :)

Don't see how it encourages new people though - would be so disheartening! I am so glad the system here allows you to gain titles on a qualifying basis and that there are several levels all of which earn you a title after a certain number of qualifies.

I like your system better too. :wave:

There's been some talk here about awarding titles at dogs that win out of each of the 5 levels, which I think is a fantastic idea, although nothing has come of it yet.