Interesting Correction Chain....

Heidii

I would imagine the chain ring would wear and scuff the fabric on the lace pretty quickly too, removing all prettiness.

Cute for a special occasion if that is what you were aiming for, but possibly not very practical.

Also, if it is not on a stainless steel chain, but a chrome plated nikel one, then you would find it would rust even quicker as the fabric will hold any dampness a lot longer than if there was no fabric there. I only ever use Sprenger stainless chains.

Another thought, now of course everyone has their own personal opinion, but when I use a correction chain, I use small links as I find the "ping" and release is much smoother, quicker and hence more affective. You would never thread something like through a very small linked chain. so, it is likely that this chain has rather large links, which personally I don't like to use.

Edited by dyzney

It would hinder the timing of the correction and release. I wouldn't buy it nor use it. And like Dyzney, I only use the Herm Sprenger chains - I'd expect Mr Sprenger would shudder to think the operation of his chains are being 'altered' in such a way, even if they could be.

Heidi - you say you "found" that correction chain. Are you telling us that these are being sold from somewhere?

Edited by Erny

I actually bought one to use as a show check chain just a little glitz thats all :)

Ahh, yes. I guess there's too much trainer in me to see the 'other side' of these things, lol. But then, if a dog doesn't really need a check, aren't there other nicer looking glitz collars around?

I actually bought one to use as a show check chain just a little glitz thats all :)

Ahh, yes. I guess there's too much trainer in me to see the 'other side' of these things, lol. But then, if a dog doesn't really need a check, aren't there other nicer looking glitz collars around?

I wouldn't use that collar for training, but it sure do look purdy!! :laugh: I can see it on a show dog.

Erny. some dogs (small breeds) show better in a "slip" but most show well in a choker - and big dogs always in a choker. There are fine ones, heavy ones, black ones, three different types of gold ones. For 98% of the dogs shown, it doesn't matter whether the choker makes a noise or not ... they don't need a choker, it is decoration and a guide.

I just bought two slip leads - one is gold and silver, (with real diamonds, the seller assured me they were real) the other black and gold (for toy and medium breeds) --- they are so fine that if the dog pulls, the lead will cut my fingers to bits. But neither dog pulls much, they only need guidance, "turn here, stop here".

Bling leads with beads and sparkly bits are also the go - I often wonder how much strain they would take. Friend shows a 40kg boxer who is always up on his toes on a bling lead and a fine choker which is about the size of a bit of string - never been any dramas. He has 2000 odd points, he knows EXACTLY what he is supposed to do.

Ruralpug

Wouldn't it muffle the noise of the chain a bit??? And the noise is what mine really notice....

Surely it defeats the whole purpose?

...but I've never tried one so I don't know

How do you know the noise is what yours really notice if you haven't tried one? Just curious

Just a check chain with decoration. You can get prong collars with things woven through to make them look "prettier" too ;)
My immediate thought was that they wouldn't be as harsh, because I have seen plenty of people walking dogs on check chains who haven't got a clue. :) ;)
Wouldn't it muffle the noise of the chain a bit??? And the noise is what mine really notice....

...but I've never tried one so I don't know. :)

I would have thought the noise would be muffled. I would also think that it would be very easy for an owner to know whether the dog/s were reacting to the noise. The noise comes first and then the tightened chain :laugh: :D

Just a check chain with decoration. You can get prong collars with things woven through to make them look "prettier" too :D
My immediate thought was that they wouldn't be as harsh, because I have seen plenty of people walking dogs on check chains who haven't got a clue. :):wave:

I guess it depends on whether the owner was using the chain to "check" the dog or whether they were just letting the dog pull into it (as many do). If it's the latter I can't see it being any more gentle and if it was the former it would probably be less effective.

Ruralpug

...but I've never tried one so I don't know

How do you know the noise is what yours really notice if you haven't tried one? Just curious

Actually a very good question, because I am deaf myself and cannot hear the noise (although now that I am learning to hear again with the cochlear implant the day may yet come :) ).

It's an assumption on my part - although I haven't tried these, I have tried the collarless fabric leashes that are worn check chain style, they check in the same manner, but obviously without the rattle. I find they are fairly useless for training, my dogs' responses are much delayed if they notice any check at all so I assume it is the missing noise making the difference. Also if someone takes the leash (with normal check chain) who doesn't know how to use it properly, then again you don't get the same crisp response if that rattle is missing. So I'm pretty sure the noise is what gets their attention.

But as you and others have said, if you're not using it as a training tool but just as bling it wouldn't matter.

EF typos

Edited by RuralPug

...but I've never tried one so I don't know. :cry:

I've never had a dog take any notice of any check-chain noise, so it wouldn't defeat the purpose for me. But I don't think the shoe-lace decoration adds anything either, so I wouldn't be getting one.

When I went out this afternoon - I put on my new necklace - blow me down, it's a chain with black web threaded through the links EXACTLY the same as the choker in the first post!!

I tittered all the way to the car.

ML - the dog has to be either very well trained, or very compliant and willing for the rattle of the chain to have an effect - a well trained dog will pick up any slight rattle, or movement, so the command is "listen" - with the real command following.

I have obedienced trialled a couple (back in the horse and buggy days) and they would do whatever was asked without any pressure being on the chain. As soon as my hand moved, they did something ....

I had some recently which I didn't trial, but they were the same.

I have owned some of those round web chokers, and was very unhappy with them - I needed to pull on them just a bit for the dog to obey, and therefore thought they would be less comfortable than a chain. I bought them because I wondered if the chain was pulling on the hair. Apparently not!!

Edited by Jed

When I went out this afternoon - I put on my new necklace - blow me down, it's a chain with black web threaded through the links EXACTLY the same as the choker in the first post!!

Oh, so fashion forward Jed! :rofl:

ML - the dog has to be either very well trained, or very compliant and willing for the rattle of the chain to have an effect - a well trained dog will pick up any slight rattle, or movement, so the command is "listen" - with the real command following.

We did a test at obedience training once, with the dog heeling off-lead but the handler held the chain and made the zip noise to see if the dogs would correct their position. Some dogs did but not mine - not well trained enough? Probably. :cry: