Another Dog Park Question

aussielover

omg whats wrong with you people :) I think it was just luck that no one or another dog didnt get attacked.. If this dog is prone to aggression then by law they have to be kept it on a leash with a nozzle over its nose... If the dog has not yet attacked another dog or person then i guess no you cant do anything about it.

I think you mean "muzzle".

And you're wrong. A dog has to be a declared dangerous dog before its required to be muzzled in public. You usually don't get those declarations unless the dog has actually injured another dog or person.

Many many dogs will react aggressively to an intrusion by a strange dog in their face. That doesn't usually result in more than noise and snapping. This dog might not ever have bitten another dog nor be likely to. Perhaps its owner was sick of the "my dog only wants to say hi" brigade that think every dog in a dog park wants to meet theirs.

I cant believe your actually sticking up for these people.. If the owner warned to stay away because it is aggressive then it has obviously attacked or had a go of another dog /person. Its just an acciedent waiting to happen.. He should by no means have it in an off leash area where there are other dogs roaming around

(even kids) and put the dog into temptation..

Edited by chellz

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the dog has been declared dangerous it just needs to be under effective control. There is nothing to indicate it wasn't under effective control.

Whether we think he should have been in the park or not is irrelevant to the question, which was should it be reported or not. There is nothing to report.

I cant believe your actually sticking up for these people.. If the owner warned to stay away because it is aggressive then it has obviously attacked or had a go of another dog /person. Its just an acciedent waiting to happen.. He should by no means have it in an off leash area where there are other dogs roaming around (even kids) and put the dog into temptation..

Really? How do you know this for sure?

Perhaps the dog is just fine unless someone allows their dog to get in its face. That's provocation, not temptation IMO!!

You do understand that DA dogs are not usually a danger to kids don't you?

How do you know the dog really is aggressive?

Maybe the dog is, but just maybe he told you a porkie so he could avoid the usual dog park issues.

I have two dogs with great temperaments but it seriously gives me the sh*ts when people won't control a dog that my two clearly don't want to play with, and it happens a lot in dog park areas (which is why I go to out of the way places to train and walk my dogs!). I can see why someone would say such a thing if it meant they got to work/train/walk their dog in peace.

.. he warned you - no one was attacked, and I guess he is entitled to take his dog to the park too ? :wave: I don't see anything to report, sorry.

I don't think people with aggressive dogs have are entiltled have their dog offleash in public, even if it is an offleash park. Perhaps while there is no one around, but certainly not in the presence of potential victims...

Though obviously, I can't prove his dog was aggressive as there way no way we were going to get close enough to find out.

I do think it is just a disaster waiting to happen as he clearly had no intention of ensuring the safety of others (that is if the dogs IS actually aggressive). There are not many dogs with perfect recall, and i have to say that a lot of the dogs that do go to this park have very little recall.

When we did go to a separate area, an 8-10 week old cocker puppy rushed up to my dog and would not return to the owner. The owner started walking off and I actually thought for a minute there that they were going to leave me with the puppy!!! :)

I had to warn them not to go near the aggressive dog because i am sure that would have ended badly :D

Oh well, I guess I can't really do anything, which is a bit frustrating.

I often tell people my dogs are aggressive when their over enthusiastic dog bounds over to mine (not saying your dog is like this, just demostrating that he might like to have been left alone to play with his dog).

The law is on his side. You are only allowed to use an off leash park if your dog is under effective control (meaning your dog will not approach his without his permission).

I always leave the park if there is an aggressive dog - I wouldn't stay around regardless.

I think it is likely he is actually more aggressive than his dog...

Why couldn't he just say "my dog is aggressive, please keep yours away" I have no problem with that, I have been told a few times not to let my dog approach when I have asked owners if their dog is friendly and I am perfectly fine with that.

Can I report an aggressive person??? :)

How do you know the dog really is aggressive?

Maybe the dog is, but just maybe he told you a porkie so he could avoid the usual dog park issues.

I have two dogs with great temperaments but it seriously gives me the sh*ts when people won't control a dog that my two clearly don't want to play with, and it happens a lot in dog park areas (which is why I go to out of the way places to train and walk my dogs!). I can see why someone would say such a thing if it meant they got to work/train/walk their dog in peace.

So you'd tell someone that your dogs would rip another dogs head off?

Why couldn't he just say "my dog is aggressive, please keep yours away" I have no problem with that, I have been told a few times not to let my dog approach when I have asked owners if their dog is friendly and I am perfectly fine with that.

Can I report an aggressive person??? :)

Responses I have had to that request:

* all dogs like my dog - it will be fine

* I don't mind if your dog bites mine - he needs to be told off :wave:

* Your dog's only small - he won't be a problem.

I have come close to telling other dog owner to EFF OFF before - I can understand the inclination to exaggeration. :D

I have a DA dog and I take her places and let her off lead when I can. I don't take her to dog parks or beaches though because other people with 'friendly' dogs can't keep their dogs away from us.

I used to walk her on a lead at the beach but stopped doing that because it didn't seem fair to make her walk slowly beside me instead of running and playing in the water like she wanted to do.

She is obedient and does not chase after or approach other dogs however plenty of other dogs would come rushing up to us.

I know I've said loudly (and probably rudely) to people to keep their dogs away as she might 'rip their dogs head off' because politely asking people to keep their dogs away doesn't work. They usually repond by saying 'oh it's ok my dog is friendly' or something like that so I resort to overexaggerating so they act quickly and get their dog under control. Better to be rude and avoid a nasty incident than to be polite and have something bad happen.

Probably best to keep your dog on a lead in an off lead park/beach.

I had my dog and a puppy under control off the lead, when we were approached by a dog....Our older dog warned off the dog who was checking out the puppy, with a growl and he was immediately pinned to the ground by the other dog. Luckily he is no fighter and just gave in.

The owners just watched and that left me to drag the dog off my old fella, I know I risked being bitten but it was instinct to protect my dog. I immediately put leads on both my dogs, so that I could have more control over any other issue. The other owners just continued to let their dog run off lead. My dog had no visible marks although I noticed he was a bit tender around the neck so was probably bruised.

I didn't enter into any conversation with the owners, except, they did say that their "girl" had never done that before. I noticed that when they walked off they were abused by an onlooking couple.

So was I at fault because my dog growled?

Edited by dollygirl

I have a DA dog and I take her places and let her off lead when I can. I don't take her to dog parks or beaches though because other people with 'friendly' dogs can't keep their dogs away from us.

I used to walk her on a lead at the beach but stopped doing that because it didn't seem fair to make her walk slowly beside me instead of running and playing in the water like she wanted to do.

She is obedient and does not chase after or approach other dogs however plenty of other dogs would come rushing up to us.

I know I've said loudly (and probably rudely) to people to keep their dogs away as she might 'rip their dogs head off' because politely asking people to keep their dogs away doesn't work. They usually repond by saying 'oh it's ok my dog is friendly' or something like that so I resort to overexaggerating so they act quickly and get their dog under control. Better to be rude and avoid a nasty incident than to be polite and have something bad happen.

Snap!! :) God its frustrating when whole areas you could exercise your dog are off limits because people can't show some consideration and control their own dogs. :wave:

Can I report an aggressive person??? :cry:

Responses I have had to that request:

* all dogs like my dog - it will be fine

* I don't mind if your dog bites mine - he needs to be told off :rofl:

* Your dog's only small - he won't be a problem.

I have come close to telling other dog owner to EFF OFF before - I can understand the inclination to exaggeration. :D

I actually had a person ask me if i could get my dog could bite his PUPPY so it could learn some manners :rofl:

I have a 6 month old Labrador puppy...

not gonna happen...

I tried to remain calm and explain why letting your dog get attacked by another, would NOT teach it manners, instead wokring on things like basic obedience and recall would be much more useful.

Yes he was rude in how he approached the situation.

But like others, I have told other people that my dog is not friendly (we were on lead) and are either told oh my dog is fine, or they take no notice of it altogether and I have to resort to being rude/shouting to get them to listen.

Better to be rude and avoid a nasty incident than to be polite and have something bad happen.

Indeed.

I can see where you're coming from, I also had a "reactive" dog, people wouldn't believe me because she was cute and cuddly looking.

It is quite shocking to be spoken to like that though. I was quite upset :cry: but i guess i shouldn't take it too personally.

I would have been worried too if I had my old dog and had seena 6 month old lab puppy approaching.

Though my puppy is NOT out of control and quite reserved in greeting stange dogs (if i let her), I guess they weren't to know that and better safe than sorry hey?

Snap!! :rofl: God its frustrating when whole areas you could exercise your dog are off limits because people can't show some consideration and control their own dogs. :rofl:

The last time I went to the beach I ended up waist deep in the ocean, pulling her along side me because someones dog would not get away from us. The owner was about half a kilometre down the beach and had been yelling for their dog to come to no avail.

Funny though how I was the one getting dirty looks from others because my dog was wanting to have a go at the other one. Apparently having your dog take off, run 500 metres up the beach to harass another dog and ignore all of the owners commands to come back is ok though :cry:

We visited our regular dog park this morning at off-peak time and there was this guy with a dog, he was throwing the ball to it. As we approached the general area he was in, he called out and said: you'd better keep your dog away from mine or it'll rip his head off :cry:

So i called my dog away and quickly walked off in another direction and played in another area of the park.

So my question is:should i report this?

The dog didn't have a chance to act aggressively to mine (we didn't get close enough), and it was not like it ran over an started attacking her. I think it would have only reacted if we had come very close to it eg. sniffing distance. However, the dog was off leash and obviously had a known dog aggression problem. It seemed to be fairly under control, in the fact it didn't run over towards us. And the park is large enough for dogs to play separately if necessary.

I do feel it should not have been offlead though, what if a dog HAD run up to it? Or he at least should have put it onlead when he saw us coming. But no, he just contiued to throw the ball.

I don't know whether I am mad becuase the guy was so rude and careless and just expected us to get out of his way. I'm not sure i would feel so angry if he had just said "excuse me but would you mind keeping your dog away as my dog doesn't like/is not comfortable with other dogs coming up close to him". If he had said that I would have been more understanding having had a dog before that didn't like other dogs getting up in her face.

What do people think? Should I bother reporting this or just let it go?

It was off peak time - see bolded - this may be the only time he takes his dog to the dog park. ie it is quiet and no-one else is usually around.

Next bolded part - his dog was under control and he was playing ball with his dog, it didn't do anything to your dog or to you. No problem there sounds like a sensible dog owner.

Rude and careless????? You may have thought him rude but how was he careless? He prevented you and your dog approaching him and his dog. Sensible IMO but certainly not careless.

I used to ask people people nicely to keep their dog away or to put their dog onlead - I was inevitably ignored, resulting in my dog getting harassed until I got rude. Because of this I eventually went straight to rude because it worked. People kept their dogs away from mine or onlead when told too. BTW my dog was not DA. I just preferred not to have him hassled by strange dogs.

Funny though how I was the one getting dirty looks from others because my dog was wanting to have a go at the other one. Apparently having your dog take off, run 500 metres up the beach to harass another dog and ignore all of the owners commands to come back is ok though :rofl:

Too right!!!

All dogs should be able to cope with a strange dog barrelling up rapidly and jumping on them. After all, that's just being "friendly". :cry:

We visited our regular dog park this morning at off-peak time and there was this guy with a dog, he was throwing the ball to it. As we approached the general area he was in, he called out and said: you'd better keep your dog away from mine or it'll rip his head off :cry:

So i called my dog away and quickly walked off in another direction and played in another area of the park.

So my question is:should i report this?

The dog didn't have a chance to act aggressively to mine (we didn't get close enough), and it was not like it ran over an started attacking her. I think it would have only reacted if we had come very close to it eg. sniffing distance. However, the dog was off leash and obviously had a known dog aggression problem. It seemed to be fairly under control, in the fact it didn't run over towards us. And the park is large enough for dogs to play separately if necessary.

I do feel it should not have been offlead though, what if a dog HAD run up to it? Or he at least should have put it onlead when he saw us coming. But no, he just contiued to throw the ball.

I don't know whether I am mad becuase the guy was so rude and careless and just expected us to get out of his way. I'm not sure i would feel so angry if he had just said "excuse me but would you mind keeping your dog away as my dog doesn't like/is not comfortable with other dogs coming up close to him". If he had said that I would have been more understanding having had a dog before that didn't like other dogs getting up in her face.

What do people think? Should I bother reporting this or just let it go?

It was off peak time - see bolded - this may be the only time he takes his dog to the dog park. ie it is quiet and no-one else is usually around.

Next bolded part - his dog was under control and he was playing ball with his dog, it didn't do anything to your dog or to you. No problem there sounds like a sensible dog owner.

Rude and careless????? You may have thought him rude but how was he careless? He prevented you and your dog approaching him and his dog. Sensible IMO but certainly not careless.

I used to ask people people nicely to keep their dog away or to put their dog onlead - I was inevitably ignored, resulting in my dog getting harassed until I got rude. Because of this I eventually went straight to rude because it worked. People kept their dogs away from mine or onlead when told too. BTW my dog was not DA. I just preferred not to have him hassled by strange dogs.

If the dog was indeed DA then it is careless not to leash or restrain it in some way when you see another dog approaching imo.

Even though they should, not everyone has control over their dogs, dogs can't be reliable 100% of the time and imo, it is not worth the risk of letting my dog hurt another EVEN if they are in the wrong.

I've had a mildly DA dog, and I would always leave the area or leash her if i saw another dog approaching.

I think it's irresponsible to take a dog to an off-leash park where there are other dogs when you know there could be issues - it's an imperfect world, things could go pear-shaped very quickly.

Bit of a blanket statement to make.

So I am irresponsible because I take my dog to the off lead dog park - the only place where dogs can legally be off lead - to train high level obedience (which requires her to be off lead) using a toy because I know that she might - and often does - snap at another dog that comes near us when we are working?

This dog is a well socialised, friendly dog normally but is incredibly driven for her toy (which in her case has led to possessiveness). I always warn people that she doesn't like other dogs around her when she is working but if they don't listen or can't control their dog, if she snaps I won't apologise.

Not aggressive in the slightest. Just no tolerance (her or me) for rude behaviour (from dogs or people).

Even if she wasn't possesive of her toy, I would still warn people not to disturb us when we are working. If that requires saying my dog is not friendly, regardless of the truth, then so be it.

Sad, isn't it, that we have to resort to untruths to be left alone and to keep our dogs safe :cry: