Barf

holly

Thanks Holly, no I don't measure or weigh the food, but I go by her bowl size so know how much to give her. Is it very imprtant to weigh her food? As for cutting out the can food, should I do that gradually so as she doesn't get an upset tummy? I think I cook the meat because I was relunctant to give her raw, don't know why. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Darien

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rebanne, as I add it up, it's 150g vegies, to 650g chicken bones per day. That's about a 1/4 - I think that's fine. I would agree though that as he needs to eat more increase the wings (or go to lamb flaps etc) rather than increasing the vegies.

Opps, I knew my maths would turn around and bite me! Sorry. It certainly shouldn't be any more than this IMO.

OK...seeing as no one answerd my question directly, I looked it up. My dog gets a bit of both, kibble, high quality can food, chicken wings, necks and legs as well as vegetables, I often make up a meal with cooked mince(kangaroo) with vegies and pasta and sometimes table scraps. She is fit, lean and happy. Is there anything wrong with her diet? She also gets raw bones form the butcher, maybe twice a week.

Darien it depends who you talk to or what you read. Some will say no commerical food while feeding raw, some say half and half is good, some say never cook, some say do. Your diet is not the diet I would feed but it appears to cover all bases.

Even though I feed raw I also make up cooked stews in the winter time because I like too! I still think the best thing people who ask about BARF can do is for them to join the list at Yahoo, the big one, can't think of it's name. And keep reading. I no longer consider I feed BARF but more the Prey food model, different again, but I read as much as I could and made my choice.

edited to add: my freezer played up yesterday so what have my dogs just got to eat? Some breadrolls and some hash browns! and there is more stuff for later.

Edited by Rebanne

Thanks Holly, no I don't measure or weigh the food, but I go by her bowl size so know how much to give her. Is it very imprtant to weigh her food? As for cutting out the can food, should I do that gradually so as she doesn't get an upset tummy? I think I cook the meat because I was relunctant to give her raw, don't know why. Thanks for the help :laugh:

Darien

Hi Darien

I just prefer to measure.

My father in law fed his GSD by the bowlful and when we cared for her the 3 months away, she was over 40kg and only 2 year old, she was massive.

So I threw the bowlful away along with the crappy cheap biscuit only he was feeding her and measured one cup of premium biscuit and 1/4 c mince, with whatever else the others had that night in the way of vegies. It took me nearly the 3 months to see a waist and feel the ribs.

Her coat was much softer and nicer too.

The in laws commented on how nice she looked asked what I did, so explained, but within the month, he was back to the old bowlfull of crap and she was fat again in no time.

Not everyone measures, but I just find it suits me, as I am always adjusting diets when I have a problem :wave:

PS you can stop the tin food whenever you like and you can feed cooked meat if you like, I did that, but not the chicken mince, as it has minced bone and when cooked it is like feeding your dog shredded glass, but I use to cook the red meat I fed, as well as everything else, these days I don't. Whatever works best for you and your dog is the best thing, I fell

Edited by holly

I did start Barf "By the book" .

It was not till months later when I re read the book I realised that I had slipped into some bad habits.

I had gone into a "barf" search here and noticed Patties mentioned.

It seems more and more pet shops are selling these and as I have two dogs with the combined weight of 12 kilos these are reasonable for me.

For a big dog forget it.

When I received the patties I also received a booklet as well.

The barf patties I have noticed are called "Ian Billingjurst"s Barf Patties".

I guess sometimes you never know what the owners of a pup will turn out to be like, some people are just clueless and don't have any common sense at all. Greytmates idea is really good, I think I would do something similar if I were breeding.

Fin, sounds good but maybe you could try adding in a few different types of bones and some offal? That would probably add to the variety, remember, variety is the spice of life!

Aatainc, thanks for that, I had no idea! I'm very sorry :laugh:

Rebanne, thatnks for the information. I'm not too sure if I will 'go all the way' but I am going to try Kiska on it and see how she goes. LOL...love the varied diet, dogs are very handy creatures when the freezer mucks up :wave:

Thanks Holly, no I know about the bits of sharp bones that can be found in chicken mince :laugh:

Kiska's dish in only a fairly small one so I know I am not over feeding her. I cup of kibble and 1/2 can of 700grms and alternating bewteen one chicken wing and a few small necks, or a whole heap of vegies :wave: She loves her dinner time!

my dogs are being weaned off dry food and onto barf at this very moment. I think agreeing with one of the other posters, everybody is a novice at this somestage, its just the way of going about doign it. Obviously that person hasnt done enough research. We've been feeding our dogs supercoat forever and i find it does absolutely nothing. There coat is horrible and there weight jumbles all over the place. I think more meat less vegies is the way to go, the meat gives them alot more benefit as i saw when i first gave my dogs pets mince from the butcher, they went up in health straight away, and also some dogs turn their noses up at vegies. I havent tried chicken necks before. Is it all ok to give them chicken necks?

i like sticking to liver and mince , things that are easy for them, and bones wise huge bones with alot of marrow. these forums are great!

abzndbonnie,

Chicken Necks are fine for your dogs, so are chicken carcasses & wings, I would feed those more regularly than the beef/liver. A good person to chase up re this though is aatanic, she will be able to point you in the right dirction :) Actually if you do a search in health & nutrition on her name you should be able to find a thread recently where she posted some useful info.

Jacqui

When hearing about Barf diets - I often think people don't feed enough protein. A lot of people mention vegies and chicken mince from lenards (which is great but really has no muscle meat included) just the carcass. I too feed the carcass and other pieces but I also include human grade chicken and beef/lamb mince to up the protein content.

Just my opinion. :)

hilaryo,

yes - just scanning the "concepts" of barf can lead people to believe to give just bones, but having just read the book he does emphasise MEATY bones and things he calls lambs flaps and not the big impenetrable bones so much, so you would be spot on with making sure there was actually enough meat content in the diet, especially if feeding chicken carcasses, because if they are anything like the ones available for sale where we are - there is only the tiniest bits of meat on them!

One of the problems with “BARF” is that people use the term to describe a range of diets.

I’ve heard the term used to describe feeding the odd bone to a kibble fed dog, to feeding home cooked diets, to feeding the odd bit of grated carrot and so on. Unfortunately as is often the case with such “new” ideas, people grab onto one element of the diet and don’t do their homework.

The true BARF diet feeds a balance of raw food over time and certainly doesn’t advocate the feeding of only raw meat/offal (yikes) or “recreational” bones and so on.

I’ve now raised my third dog from puppyhood on a true BARF diet, the other two dogs have been on it since quite young. What I refer to as a BARF diet is based on two thirds raw meaty bones, and one third regular juiced veggies/mince and other additives. I follow Dr Billinghurst’s method, eliminating all cereal as per his second book.

Anyone who purports to feed a BARF diet and isn’t feeding according to Billinghurst, Shultze etc should put straight about the dangers of such practices and have their terminology corrected IMHO.

There is plenty of information about BARF posted on the forum. If you go right back into the archives, there is pages and pages of info that Steve has posted, which is the result of many years of research, and experience.

Here is a few threads:

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=528&hl=

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=2180&hl=

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6197&hl=

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9818&hl=