Anyone Interested

Nekhbet

The other day I killed a duck with my bare hands. Does that make me bad? :confused::clap:

We have ducks here at my place (wild ones) and a few days ago I noticed one flopping around out in the paddock. Looked like it had taken a severe knock to the head or something?

I brought it inside and popped it in a cage for a few hours with some water to see if it improved. Unfortunately for the duck, it didn't. It deteriorated.

So rather than wait till it died, or until I went to work the next day so a male vet could roll his eyes (wondering why I didn't kill it myself) at me, I wrung it's neck.

:rofl: Not a nice story, but better than prolonging the pain.

Oh god, you monster!

:confused:

A shame about the duck, but the most humane thing you could have done in the circumstances. :eek:

More curious questions for Moselle- what about Transpeople? Would it be more acceptable for a MtF or a FtM to kill an animal? What about Gender-neutral people?

Raz- Most welcome. :( I used to have an old terrier who was very good with the ferrets, but then she also used to suffer my pet rats. :clap: It would depend on their prey drive, haha.

I thought the answer was obvious ;)

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok enough is enough, Moselle. Can we be left alone to learn about ferreting please? Ta. Maybe take your moselle down to OT and start whatever thread you want about ladies sitting in the loungeroom happily sewing away with their tapestries and pretty packaged up meat at franklins.

Polecatty, do you desex the males or are they better at their job entire?

The other day I killed a duck with my bare hands. Does that make me bad? :confused::clap:

We have ducks here at my place (wild ones) and a few days ago I noticed one flopping around out in the paddock. Looked like it had taken a severe knock to the head or something?

I brought it inside and popped it in a cage for a few hours with some water to see if it improved. Unfortunately for the duck, it didn't. It deteriorated.

So rather than wait till it died, or until I went to work the next day so a male vet could roll his eyes (wondering why I didn't kill it myself) at me, I wrung it's neck.

:eek: Not a nice story, but better than prolonging the pain.

Oh god, you monster!

:confused:

A shame about the duck, but the most humane thing you could have done in the circumstances. :(

More curious questions for Moselle- what about Transpeople? Would it be more acceptable for a MtF or a FtM to kill an animal? What about Gender-neutral people?

Raz- Most welcome. ;) I used to have an old terrier who was very good with the ferrets, but then she also used to suffer my pet rats. :clap: It would depend on their prey drive, haha.

I thought the answer was obvious ;)

No it isn't at all, hence why I asked. :rofl:

I've wondered the same thing too.

I'd have thought if they were a good hunting ferret, they'd be good regardless of if they were entire or neutered. :confused:

Will let a ferrety expert correct me though.

Ok enough is enough, Moselle. Can we be left alone to learn about ferreting please? Ta. Maybe take your moselle down to OT and start whatever thread you want about ladies sitting in the loungeroom happily sewing away with their tapestries and pretty packaged up meat at franklins.

The only difference that desexing makes is that multiple males can be worked at once [very few intact males will tolerate another intact male] and they won't give the lady-weasels any grief. So it can make the males a little easier to manage around other ferrets.

From a health perspective I am now keeping my ferrets intact. There was some interesting research released that suggests that desexing causes Adrenal issues, and having had a few desexed ferrets with this problem I have decided to keep them intact to see if it will make a difference. :confused:

There was some interesting research released that suggests that desexing causes Adrenal issues, and having had a few desexed ferrets with this problem I have decided to keep them intact to see if it will make a difference. :confused:

How does that work considering the positioning of the adrenals?

Really interesting and sorry to bombard you.

Yes sure raz.....I hope that no more questions are directed my way, that's all....I didn't exactly conduct a one-way conversation.

There was some interesting research released that suggests that desexing causes Adrenal issues, and having had a few desexed ferrets with this problem I have decided to keep them intact to see if it will make a difference. :confused:

How does that work considering the positioning of the adrenals?

Really interesting and sorry to bombard you.

Haha no apologies needed. :confused:

As far as I understand it, once the testes/ovaries are removed the Adrenal glands then act as receivers for the sex hormones produced in the Pituitary gland. This activity agitates the Adrenal glands and can cause lesions and the development of tumours which may in turn secrete hormones and interfere with the surrounding internal anatomy.

I thiiiink that's about right.

As far as I understand it, once the testes/ovaries are removed the Adrenal glands then act as receivers for the sex hormones produced in the Pituitary gland. This activity agitates the Adrenal glands and can cause lesions and the development of tumours which may in turn secrete hormones and interfere with the surrounding internal anatomy.

I thiiiink that's about right.

ahhh rightyo.

Fascinating little critters.

Yes, it is interesting. I must have lived as a gamekeeper in another century, this stuff always draws me to it like a magnet. Always has done, and probably always will do.

Hey Moselle, wanna come ferreting sometime?

Souff

Oh thanks for the invite Souff, lol...I'll have to have a look at my diary to see if I have a spare weekend sometime soon....and providing that you promise that I won't get my acrylic nails dirty or worse still....broken :confused:

Actually, more important than the nails Moselle, is to plan to wear tight jeans. If you wear baggy pants that ferret might just run up the inside of the baggy pants when it comes out of the burrow .... and we will just be standing around having a good laugh.

Souff

We went on an abattoir tour in junior school, then again in high school. Certainly wasn't the most fun I've ever had on an excursion but at least we had a crystal clear understanding of where meat comes from.

I couldn't personally judge the more humane of private hunting or commercial slaughter without seeing both first hand. There will always be variations - some abattoirs are better than others and no doubt some hunting methods/hunters are better than others - but I wouldn't assume commercial slaughter is consistent just because it is somewhat regulated. Vets/doctors/hospitals/schools are also regulated - do you really think they all deliver the best standard of care and expertise to every patient/student?

I agree with all that you've said Sydoo.

*shrug* odd then that you would prefer commercial meat to a privately hunted animal where you at least know exactly how it was treated.

Souff - very important point! I've had a pet rat run up my pant leg once...luckily before video cameras were widespread! :rofl: Our pup tried it during that first trip home as well but she got stuck below my knee and fell asleep in a pant fabric sling.

we keep all our boys together, none of our ferrets are desexed and they dont fight. We have them together from young and at the moment 4 adult males and a female are alseep in the same box of hay :) OH always kept his ferrets together, he used to have 14 all in the one big cage. The man we bought the ferrets from had over 20 in the one big aviary set up. Pregnant and in heat females of course we separate off otherwise they just gang rape them ... they're not the most romantic creatures.

I too wouldnt desex them. That and when you're onto a winner, how are you going to breed them? The females come in season when the rabbit season finishes, by the time the babies are big and muscly it's cool again to start them down the holes.

Mine get a water bottle whenever we go rabbiting and I dont go on warm days, polecatty is right ferrets are not good in the heat at all. True too a hungry ferret will be more likely to stay down and help themselves. Ours get a big meal late the night before and we go early in the morning. Sometimes if it's going to be a long day they get a few kibbles each that morning before going into the boxes.

We are finishing a big snazzy all terrain rabbiting station :cheer: I'll post some piccies when it's finished. You wont believe its all recycled materials :rofl: dual ferret box, rabbit holder, net and peg holder all in the one handy trolly since I cannot carry things anymore.

If anyone has contacts in Sydney, I'm VERY interested in sourcing some bunnies - both the fully cleaned human grade, and (mainly) the dog version with organs intact. We have a butcher nearby who has both farmed and wild bunnies but they seem quite pricey.

we keep all our boys together, none of our ferrets are desexed and they dont fight. We have them together from young and at the moment 4 adult males and a female are alseep in the same box of hay :laugh: OH always kept his ferrets together, he used to have 14 all in the one big cage. The man we bought the ferrets from had over 20 in the one big aviary set up. Pregnant and in heat females of course we separate off otherwise they just gang rape them ... they're not the most romantic creatures.

I too wouldnt desex them. That and when you're onto a winner, how are you going to breed them? The females come in season when the rabbit season finishes, by the time the babies are big and muscly it's cool again to start them down the holes.

Mine get a water bottle whenever we go rabbiting and I dont go on warm days, polecatty is right ferrets are not good in the heat at all. True too a hungry ferret will be more likely to stay down and help themselves. Ours get a big meal late the night before and we go early in the morning. Sometimes if it's going to be a long day they get a few kibbles each that morning before going into the boxes.

We are finishing a big snazzy all terrain rabbiting station :laugh: I'll post some piccies when it's finished. You wont believe its all recycled materials :) dual ferret box, rabbit holder, net and peg holder all in the one handy trolly since I cannot carry things anymore.

Lucky! None of my intact lads have ever tolerated one another but none have them have been related, either. :rofl: I imagine that raising them together would help considerably.

we keep all our boys together, none of our ferrets are desexed and they dont fight. We have them together from young and at the moment 4 adult males and a female are alseep in the same box of hay :laugh: OH always kept his ferrets together, he used to have 14 all in the one big cage. The man we bought the ferrets from had over 20 in the one big aviary set up. Pregnant and in heat females of course we separate off otherwise they just gang rape them ... they're not the most romantic creatures.

We are finishing a big snazzy all terrain rabbiting station :laugh: I'll post some piccies when it's finished. You wont believe its all recycled materials :) dual ferret box, rabbit holder, net and peg holder all in the one handy trolly since I cannot carry things anymore.

Lucky! None of my intact lads have ever tolerated one another but none have them have been related, either. :rofl: I imagine that raising them together would help considerably.

dont know about that. i had one of the gentlest affectionate ferrets and her babies???

remember that game you try to pick up the monkeys so u end with a sting of em?

she had 7 babies. by the time they were a month old. pick up one n london to a brick a littermate would latch onto it , another onto it and so on as u lifted so could end up with all 7 dangling.

mad as hatters all 7 of em, bite like they intended eating u. yet mum n dad wouldnt bite anyone..l weird to say the lest.

thought they would tone down as they grew.. no such luck. faught like the kats n jammer kids, so sold all but one to a rabbiter n he said he said they were wonderful. the one i kept she would eat my fingers for breakfast if she was in the mood.

often wondered if they were a throw back to their dads mum, she was so savage his breeder had to throw a bag over her before he could touch anything in her cage. as for her hed throw the bag over her, wrap her quick n into the carry cage bag n all.. lol

watching him get her son out without getting bitten was fun... n left wondering gee will he be as savage as his mum , but nope he was more like a kitten than a ferret maybe? loved watching him sprong all over the place when he was full of himself.

nothing madder than a ferret playing is there.. umm n never let em get under the fridge.... sounded like they were dismantling it.

n nothing more fascinating than a trouser leg is there.....

Edited by asal

:) It is very sad at first, however if when you compare the lifestyle of animals its a far better option for them, whilst it may not be as guilt free as picking up the shrinQk wrapped parcel from the supermarket you are making a small difference in the end. :laugh:

Oh comeon....so people who kill their own meat are simply doing it from the goodness of their own heart? Nonsense. IT is purely for selfish reasons and none other than.... :laugh:

Some pretty broad assumptions there considering you claim you would not associate with " people like us" how would you know? So it's ok to put an animal out of it's misery but another to provide for your family? Not everyone has a male to do these things for them, some through loss,some by choice, some not. Actually don't worry about answering I have no wish to encourage your input in this thread. I think I'll put you on ignore, you are not the type of person I choose to associate with.

I have always loved ferrets and am finding this thread very informative and really very interesting. I would really love to see them work.

Edited by Dust Angel

:) It is very sad at first, however if when you compare the lifestyle of animals its a far better option for them, whilst it may not be as guilt free as picking up the shrinQk wrapped parcel from the supermarket you are making a small difference in the end. :rofl:

Oh comeon....so people who kill their own meat are simply doing it from the goodness of their own heart? Nonsense. IT is purely for selfish reasons and none other than.... :rofl:

Some pretty broad assumptions there considering you claim you would not associate with " people like us" how would you know? So it's ok to put an animal out of it's misery but another to provide for your family? Not everyone has a male to do these things for them, some through loss,some by choice, some not. Actually don't worry about answering I have no wish to encourage your input in this thread. I think I'll put you on ignore, you are not the type of person I choose to associate with.

I have always loved ferrets and am finding this thread very informative and really very interesting. I would really love to see them work.

n PLAY, ferrets sure know how to play.

always remembered that guy who said otters believe in making every drop of water work.

ferrets came from the same school, u aint seen nuffin till you turn a couple of ferrets loose in your home.... YAY :laugh: :laugh: :rofl:

OR IF your into damage minimisation..... well we would put em into a huge feed bin with lengths of pipe, bags, boxes, HA a vacum cleaner hose is sooooo popular or the air conditoning ducting from a car or truck... n let em rip.

loose in sheds can be a problem. pronging across cage tops can be deletrious to a ferrets health if they come to the end n theres a significant drop to the floor n it happens to be concrete?

trust me, most of em have NO sense of danger, n it aint worth finding out the hard way. setting a broken ferret leg is no laughing matter.

Edited by asal

umm u do know what "pronging" is dont u all?

it is the art of leaping skywards, all four feet at the same time... aka the antelope pronging in the african bushland.....someone must have shown a ferret it once and its now in the genes i suspects

pronging ferrets seem to have a very poor sense of direction or plan ahead for when there is nothing to land on nxt prong....... with a resulting horrible

SPLAT sound arising occasionaly...n no they dont seem to remember what happend bad.. last time

have others had that problems with theirs too ?