Anyone Interested

Nekhbet

Kamikazi ferrets :clap: My ex was a slaughterman, only thing he couldn't kill were young goats, he hated killing them. Most women during the depression killed animals so the family didn't starve, I can't understand the difference between women or men killing for food. We kill steers here now and then for the freezer and they are the ones we bucket reared. That's life! I know of someone who wont eat lamb unless it has a stamp on it, or eat our free range chook eggs because of no stamp lol.

When you say that you kill steers there now.....do you mean the women are doing the killing? and if so, what method of slaughter is adopted?

I know that some women during the depression killed animals but that doesn't entail each and every woman, right? Btw, the family need not starve DW....due to lack of meat....we humans can very well survive without it, it has more to do with the palate than anything else.

gee moselle, get of your high horse.

u know u can get hurt if it bucks n drops u

Yes, it is a lonely ride, lol.....amazing and quite an eye opener.....women have no qualms in coming forwards and admitting to killing their own meat....yet the very ones who don't believe in it simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to express their views here, too afraid to be shot down in flames, lol :laugh: :p

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This has been a very interesting thread and I thank Nekhbet for posting so much educational information about ferreting.

I would love for the thread to continue so I can learn more - can we try to keep it civil please :p

I don't think I have the stomach to actually do the killing :laugh: but I think the idea of actually utilising pest species for food is a great idea.

you really dont get it do you?

i do not but i do believe others not only have the right to decide but that neither I, or you have the right to decide for them or me, or anyone else let alone have the hide to tell them or me or anyone one else their motives.

think long and hard before you go saying such things.

as my mum used to say. when you accuse someone of such motives thats showing thats what you would be baseing what you say on what you were thinking and/or have done or thought yourself.

so? what are you saying about yourself and your motives?

Edited by asal

I have no problem in QUALIFIED butchers doing the deed given that they are qualified and know what they are doing (hopefully they have consideration for the animal and try to minimise suffering). Unfortunately, not every person who does so is a qualified butcher (as has been made abundantly clear in this thread, how many women on here are qualified in killing animals???) and I dread the thought that some people will take matters into their own hands not fully knowing the best method to adopt. I still do find it distasteful with women hunting and killing their own meat as sexist as that may sound. I especially find women (and men) who get a kick out of bloodsports (i.e. hunting) to be totally repulsive. Male hunters think they're all that when they clearly are not and women hunters think they've got balls when they clearly don't.....it's all too easy to stand behind a shotgun and fire away, pfft....too ludicrous for words....trying to prove just how tough they are NOT.

actually a butcher is not qualified to kill an animal. A slaughterman is. Butchers only know how to carve up the meat into cuts and joints.As for qualification ... I kill the animals in the manner prescribed. I did animal anatomy at university so I know exactly how to kill different species. Even commercial rabbits have their necks broken. How different is it to what I do? Do you think everyone who has done a short course is a better person then I am to kill an animal? To many it is a job, to me it is something I go out and want to do. I spend a LOT of money on our ferrets. They get fresh raw meaty bones, premium brand kitten food, straw to sleep in, new cages, play time every day all over the garage, toys etc. I exercise them in the off season to keep them healthy and mentally happy. When one of the young ones got sick I nursed it inside, syringed my special formula down its throat every 15 minutes and warmed it under a heat lamp. I didnt sleep until I knew he was OK and he lived. Suppose none of that really matters when you have preconceived notions.

By the way I dont use a gun. I kill with my hands and it is quick. Rabbits, fish, ducks, chickens etc. Done very quickly. When I did my own ducks they didnt even flap I had them stunned before their throats were slit.

Considering how expensive a hobby it can be really I dont see where it is a quick fix or a chest beating exercise.

I dont mind you adding to this thread Polecatty nice to see some more ferreters! They're becoming a rare breed!

We found that placing immature ferrets in with the older ones worked, by the time they were secually mature they all just got along. Ours have the odd scrap but no one has ever fought to the death. Our little female was dragging our big boy around the garage last night by his scruff because he was ignoring her super spastic play time :laugh:

As for biting, we get well handled young ones and handle them a lot. If a ferret bites me too hard it gets a flick on the nose, if they latch on a smack. Guy who bred ours had some that bit so hard the only way was to stick a lit cigarette under thier noses until the smoke got to them :p a bit much. It's easier just to teach them to be gentle and all ours will eat out of your hands as well with no problems.

As for the kamikazi ferrets ... OH got one the other day, climbed up the top of the cage and flew at him with all four legs out ... I'm sure I could hear a tiny little scream of BANZAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

You raised an interesting point. So butchers are not qualified to slaughter animals.....so then why is it okay for every Joan, Liz and Kerry to do so? Shouldn't be allowed, IMO. Makes me grimace at the thought that some woman (or man) with no clue whatsoever makes an attempt to kill an animal. That ex friend of mine went about killing her pet ducks with a pair of scissors.....they were once her pets and she decided to make a meal of them simply because she ran out of money to buy food! What a sorry excuse for a human being she was.

yep she sure does, reminds me of a friend , we had water for dinner, while the kids had half an apple each. that was all the food there was in the house. hubby had used all of it on his new speed boat. wife n kids food???

not on his horizon

sure have a nice way with words dont u

This ex friend of mine was concerned with her own appetite, she doesnt have kids to feed nor a husband with a passion for speed boats (she was single); she didn't object to spending time at the pokies though...she didn't have an addiction to gambling....she just met up with some people one weekend and decided to spend every dime (from Centrelink) on this one occasion until hunger got the better of her and given that she likes her meat wayyyy too much decided to grab a pair of scissors before cutting her pet ducks' throat.

And here you are saying that I have a nice way with words????

I have no problem in QUALIFIED butchers doing the deed given that they are qualified and know what they are doing (hopefully they have consideration for the animal and try to minimise suffering). Unfortunately, not every person who does so is a qualified butcher (as has been made abundantly clear in this thread, how many women on here are qualified in killing animals???) and I dread the thought that some people will take matters into their own hands not fully knowing the best method to adopt. I still do find it distasteful with women hunting and killing their own meat as sexist as that may sound. I especially find women (and men) who get a kick out of bloodsports (i.e. hunting) to be totally repulsive. Male hunters think they're all that when they clearly are not and women hunters think they've got balls when they clearly don't.....it's all too easy to stand behind a shotgun and fire away, pfft....too ludicrous for words....trying to prove just how tough they are NOT.

actually a butcher is not qualified to kill an animal. A slaughterman is. Butchers only know how to carve up the meat into cuts and joints.As for qualification ... I kill the animals in the manner prescribed. I did animal anatomy at university so I know exactly how to kill different species. Even commercial rabbits have their necks broken. How different is it to what I do? Do you think everyone who has done a short course is a better person then I am to kill an animal? To many it is a job, to me it is something I go out and want to do. I spend a LOT of money on our ferrets. They get fresh raw meaty bones, premium brand kitten food, straw to sleep in, new cages, play time every day all over the garage, toys etc. I exercise them in the off season to keep them healthy and mentally happy. When one of the young ones got sick I nursed it inside, syringed my special formula down its throat every 15 minutes and warmed it under a heat lamp. I didnt sleep until I knew he was OK and he lived. Suppose none of that really matters when you have preconceived notions.

By the way I dont use a gun. I kill with my hands and it is quick. Rabbits, fish, ducks, chickens etc. Done very quickly. When I did my own ducks they didnt even flap I had them stunned before their throats were slit.

Considering how expensive a hobby it can be really I dont see where it is a quick fix or a chest beating exercise.

I dont mind you adding to this thread Polecatty nice to see some more ferreters! They're becoming a rare breed!

We found that placing immature ferrets in with the older ones worked, by the time they were secually mature they all just got along. Ours have the odd scrap but no one has ever fought to the death. Our little female was dragging our big boy around the garage last night by his scruff because he was ignoring her super spastic play time :laugh:

As for biting, we get well handled young ones and handle them a lot. If a ferret bites me too hard it gets a flick on the nose, if they latch on a smack. Guy who bred ours had some that bit so hard the only way was to stick a lit cigarette under thier noses until the smoke got to them :p a bit much. It's easier just to teach them to be gentle and all ours will eat out of your hands as well with no problems.

As for the kamikazi ferrets ... OH got one the other day, climbed up the top of the cage and flew at him with all four legs out ... I'm sure I could hear a tiny little scream of BANZAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

You raised an interesting point. So butchers are not qualified to slaughter animals.....so then why is it okay for every Joan, Liz and Kerry to do so? Shouldn't be allowed, IMO. Makes me grimace at the thought that some woman (or man) with no clue whatsoever makes an attempt to kill an animal. That ex friend of mine went about killing her pet ducks with a pair of scissors.....they were once her pets and she decided to make a meal of them simply because she ran out of money to buy food! What a sorry excuse for a human being she was.

yep she sure does, reminds me of a friend , we had water for dinner, while the kids had half an apple each. that was all the food there was in the house. hubby had used all of it on his new speed boat. wife n kids food???

not on his horizon

This ex friend of mine was concerned with her own appetite, she doesnt have kids to feed nor a husband with a passion for speed boats (she was single); she didn't object to spending time at the pokies though...she didn't have an addiction to gambling....she just met up with some people one weekend and decided to spend every dime (from Centrelink) on this one occasion until hunger got the better of her and given that she likes her meat wayyyy too much decided to grab a pair of scissors before cutting her pet ducks' throat.

that is not what you said.

go reread your own posts before getting back up into the saddle

you really dont get it do you?

i do not but i do believe others not only have the right to decide but that neither I, or you have the right to decide for them or me, or anyone else let alone have the hide to tell them or me or anyone one else their motives.

think long and hard before you go saying such things.

as my mum used to say. when you accuse someone of such motives thats showing thats what you would be baseing what you say on what you were thinking and/or have done or thought yourself.

so? what are you saying about yourself and your motives?

What exactly are you saying asal? what motives could I possibly have in saying what I have been saying all along? I thought I made my point loud and clear by now, no hidden motive here.

I disagree in that people should be allowed free reign! That is why there are laws in place. Where would we be if everyone was allowed to do whatever they wanted? At the end of the day, I cannot change the world being what it is but that doesn't take away the fact that I am entitled to an opinion. We are not robots and this forum especially is full of opinionated people. I dont see what I am supposed to have said that so offended you???

Ok is it just me or is Moselle just like a mosquito that buzzs next to your head in the middle of the night. Bloody annoying and hard to squish.

I have no problem with hunting or slaughtering your own meat. I do believe that it is more humane and better for the environment. And yes Im a woman.

not on his horizon

that is not what you said.

go reread your own posts before getting back up into the saddle

What are you talking about now? this is too exhausting, I have said more than enough and as per usual things are totally blown out of context. I didn't mention, at first, the entirety of my ex friend's why's and why not's.....didn't think it mattered at first....perhaps I should have been more detailed but I simply couldnt be bothered in having to explain every sordid detail of how she set about killing her ducks and why.

Lets just agree to disagree and move on to the oh so interesting subject of killing bunnies, shall we?

As a female who grew up on a farm I have seen many animals killed either to end their pain or to be eaten. I have shot a few animals too if Dad was not home to do it when I was only a kid.

I have respect for anyone who can end the life of an animal to end pain or for food - no sane person will get enjoyment out of doing it - nasty job but a reality. A quick kill is just that - fast and effective they are none the wiser.

I have watched my father slit the throats of sheep - it is not nice and he used to send us away when we were young while they were being done. Sometimes we would spend a weekend cutting and bagging meat for the freezer. My father hated the killing part of it so we used to hire a butcher friend to come and do the butchering and boning to make it easier. He had a portable cool room which easily held 6 sheep so that is what we would kill. Our freezer was massive, but most of our meat was bought from the local butchers because my father hated killing stock.

But nothing tasted better than one of our own home grown sheep and I suppose now would not be a good time to say once I bought my mother a pig for mothers day, the following year he filled the freezer...yummm.

I guess for some as long as the meat is not presented on the plate with eyes looking at you then it makes it ok to eat it....

ETA: Nekhbet, my father had ferrets when we were very young, they never bit us kids but Dad got a few bites, great little workers.

Edited by Andisa

Yep pretty much, only men should be responsible for putting down animals.....as for hunting in itself? well, I am not very fond of 'HUNTERS'. The only time a woman should be allowed to put down an animal is if she doing it via anaesthetic.....and in that case she would need to be a qualified veterinarian. :laugh:

Putting down animals? Sheesh. I do a few every day at work. Looks like I'll need to find myself another job.

Vets (most often) are not the ones administering anaesthetics to patients.

You are kidding, right?

Moselle this isn't the first time your posts have been offensive to members here.

I put animals to sleep as well as administering drugs and anaesthetic to our patients and I am not a qualified veterinarian. What part of being a woman means that I am unable to calculate a dose rate and insert a needle into a vein and push. It's my job to know about all that so that our vet can concentrate on the surgery.

Perhaps you should go spend a day in one of the big referral hospitals too. Their anaesthetic nurses are incredible and probably know more about anaesthesia than many (male :p ) vets out there!

I have no issues with female vets and/or nurses administering drugs/anaesthetics to animals....I thought I made that clear. It is totally amazing to me how one comment is twisted and turned to suit yourselves. How does my distaste in women killing/hunting their own meat connected to female vets/nurses? God knows I have seen female vets in order to put my dogs to sleep when there was no other option!!!

Because vets don't only use drugs to PTS different animals, we will use captive bolts & firearms when appropriate too. Yes, even us girls.

This thread is (mostly) fascinating. I have to say thank you to Nekhbet and others for explaining how ferrets do their work. It's really interesting. As for some of the rest of the discussion and commenters ... well, the less said the better.

I'm female and I really don't think I could ever kill an animal for food, or even to put it out of it's misery - I'm far too soft weak. I have nothing but admiration for anyone - male or female - who can kill an animal quickly and efficiently without causing any undue suffering. I think hunting rabbits, which are vermin, with ferrets to feed yourself and your pets is an excellent use of the animal. And it seems a much better way to go than being loaded into an overcrowded truck and carted off to an abattoir. I cringe when I drive past stock trucks and see the animals on them.

When my children are older I'd be quite happy for them to go out with someone who knows what they're doing to see how to dispatch an animal correctly. I see it as a useful life lesson in where food comes from and what has to happen to get it to our table. I would hope they would learn appreciation for animals, and what they give us, from the experience.

Nekhbet, I hope your ferreting expedition is a success. If I wasn't such a wuss I'd come along.

As a female who grew up on a farm I have seen many animals killed either to end their pain or to be eaten. I have shot a few animals too if Dad was not home to do it when I was only a kid.

I have respect for anyone who can end the life of an animal to end pain or for food - no sane person will not get enjoyment out of doing it - nasty job but a reality. A quick kill is just that - fast and effective they are none the wiser.

I have watched my father slit the throats of sheep - it is not nice and he used to send us away when we were young while they were being done. Sometimes we would spend a weekend cutting and bagging meat for the freezer. My father hated the killing part of it so we used to hire a butcher friend to come and do the butchering and boning to make it easier. He had a portable cool room which easily held 6 sheep so that is what we would kill. Our freezer was massive, but most of our meat was bought from the local butchers because my father hated killing stock.

But nothing tasted better than one of our own home grown sheep and I suppose now would not be a good time to say once I bought my mother a pig for mothers day, the following year he filled the freezer...yummm.

I guess for some as long as the meat is not presented on the plate with eyes looking at you then it makes it ok to eat it....

ETA: Nekhbet, my father had ferrets when we were very young, they never bit us kids but Dad got a few bites, great little workers.

I found your post to be contradictory. You are saying that your father hated the killing so he used to hire a butcher yet by the same token you are saying that you have watched him slit the throat of sheep ?????

And I must say that I find it apalling that your father would allow you (as a kid) to shoot animals!!! :laugh:

I have respect for anyone who can end the life of an animal to end pain or for food - no sane person will not get enjoyment out of doing it - nasty job but a reality. A quick kill is just that - fast and effective they are none the wiser.

I found your post to be contradictory. You are saying that your father hated the killing so he used to hire a butcher yet by the same token you are saying that you have watched him slit the throat of sheep ?????

And I must say that I find it apalling that your father would allow you (as a kid) to shoot animals!!! :laugh:

UM -yes. He used to kill them but hated doing it so paid someone else to do it. I really didn't think that was too hard to understand. As I said, I grew up on a farm - my parents still have it.

Do you think it is better for the animal who is in pain - mauled by a pack of dogs - to suffer for several hours until he was home to do it himself.

Moselle - I really think that you have lived a charmed sheltered life and should not be so quick to judge others and be so appalled by what is considered humane.

ed: sp?

Edited by Andisa

While I am at it - a couple of years ago I bred rabbits for the dogs - had about 30 ready for the kill but could not do the deed. I gave most away, lost some in the summer heatwave and did get someone to kill some for me. As it turned out my dogs did not like rabbit. I still have one of the males here, he is a beautiful rabbit and at 4 yrs old he is in perfect health.

So Moselle don't be too concerned about me going around killing animals purely for the pleasure of it because I just can't do it. Or I should say while I do NOT have to - I won't.

Well I eat rabbit that has been caught using ferrets and am also breeding our own chickens to eat. We buy free range chicken as it is the ethical option but it is very expensive so we'll grow our own. You really don't know what you are talking about when it comes to home killing, the animals are ethically raised and dispatched, even the free range chicken I buy can't come close to the life mine lead. If I was being selfish I'd just buy cheap chicken cuts from the supermarket. You need to watch some River Cottage to see why people raise their own meat.

Where does your chicken come from?

I have seen lots of video clips on ferret's and love watching the ones with the happy dance. I am amazed at just how trainable they are!

It may have been mentioned (but due to placing someone ignore im having trouble piecing together this thread a little now it seems to be a look at me, look at me, thread sadly) but i have been told that if ferrets are not desexed and then not allowed to bread they will actually become ill and die is that true?

For those that do hunt their ferrets where did you learn from? Is there any ferret type shows or competitions?

Female ferrets will die if they don't breed, which is why you should always have non-breeders desexed. :laugh:

I've heard that the females commonly get a type of fatal aplastic anaemia due to bone marrow suppression from estrogen if they come on heat & aren't allowed to breed?

Don't know much about it though since we don't keep ferrets as pets over here. :p