Ban On Pet Owners

k9angel

Ban on Pet owners

By Briana Domjen

Pet shops should be given the power to conduct background checks on customers following an alarming spike in incidents of animal cruelty.

Animal welfare groups the RSPCA and the Animal Welfare League (AWL) are campaigning for increased autonomy for pet shop staff.

If introduced, pet shop owners would have the power to check criminal history for any charges associated with animal cruelty before allowing someone to take home a new puppy or kitten.

AWL CEO Maryann Dalton said the only way to address the issue of animal cruelty was to ban from buying pets anyone deemed unsafe.

"AWL would certainly support the recommendation by RSPCA to encourage pet shop owners to carry out background checks on customers they consider unfit to care for an animal", she said.

RSPCA inspectors recieved 15,083 complaints of animal cruelty in NSW this year - 2000 more than 2008.

The trend of torturing, slaughtering and dumping pets has outraged the RSPCA, which is calling for pet shop owners to choose an animal's welfare over a quick profit.

"They do have the right to refuse any sales, and we would encourage pet shop owners to err on the side of caution as opposed to making a quick sale if it means that the right animal goes to the right home:, RSPCA NSW chief executive Steve Coleman said.

"We've seen pups and kittens destroyed by a variety of means. "There is just no reason in this day and age".

But primary industries minister Steve Whan does not support the move, saying mandatory background checks on potential pet buyers as "impractical and unnecassary".

RSPCA inspector Matt French said he has seen shocking examples of animal cruelty".

"Somebody chose to drown their pet cat because it was an older cat and their reasoning was that they thought it would be too expensive to take it somewhere". Mr French said.

"I think it all comes down to the same thing, lack of education, lack of knowledge and lack of money".

... not to mention lack of basic human compassion!!

What sort of nonsense arse-backwards approach is this anyway? Just ban pet shops from selling pets.

Yeah and lack of caring and a conscience :thumbsup:

I even note visiting the store I go to to buy straw, seed and supplies for my pets. They NEVER used to have puppies. Now they do. It breaks my heart to see them sitting there in their cage. Theyve had mini pins and fox terriers the past two weeks. All but one has been sold. Theyre charging in excess of $500-700 for these pups. :eek:

Last weekend when I went to pick up my supplies I observed as a family (mother and kids) purchased a puppy.

It was the kids who wanted the pup, NOT the Mum but she gave into their constant nagging to get one. How bloody sad. The staff didn't help, offering to get the pups out for the kids to nurse, even before it was decided they were going to take one home. They were just happy to get a sale. :eek:

Perfect example of an impulse buy and why pet shops should NOT be selling puppies and kittens IMO.

Given the low conviction rate for animal cruelty charges, it would be a waste of time. Just looks good on paper.

And what about all the animals being sold online and in the newspapers?

Most just get a slap on the wrist, if that. :eek:

And exactly, who IS going to mandate the animals sold in papers and the internet? Mant of which are the products of BYB, these people do not care who buys their animals, so long as they get their $$$$ worth. :thumbsup:

What sort of nonsense arse-backwards approach is this anyway? Just ban pet shops from selling pets.

Oh no this is expected and certainly will be part of the future for all pet owners.

It has been sugested many times and by the most respected of the radical no more pets groups, that one of the best ways to get rid of pet dogs is to start going after the owners. Make it very difficulte and intrusive to get a dog. Must have permit in advance from the shire in order to get a dog, tests and/or classes prior to getting a permit, home inspections and approval of the breed wanted, making sellers of pets responsiable to do background checks and the buyers would have to pay for all this (part of getting the permit) and seller would keep the documention, it goes on and on.

Yes this fits in very nicely.

Edited by shortstep

Yeah and lack of caring and a conscience ;)

I even note visiting the store I go to to buy straw, seed and supplies for my pets. They NEVER used to have puppies. Now they do. It breaks my heart to see them sitting there in their cage. Theyve had mini pins and fox terriers the past two weeks. All but one has been sold. Theyre charging in excess of $500-700 for these pups. ;)

Last weekend when I went to pick up my supplies I observed as a family (mother and kids) purchased a puppy.

It was the kids who wanted the pup, NOT the Mum but she gave into their constant nagging to get one. How bloody sad. The staff didn't help, offering to get the pups out for the kids to nurse, even before it was decided they were going to take one home. They were just happy to get a sale. :dancingelephant:

Perfect example of an impulse buy and why pet shops should NOT be selling puppies and kittens IMO.

Well I would never buy from a store like that. I would tell them exactly and in writting that I opossed the sale of animals in pet shops and since they were now doing this, I would shop elsewhere. I would then shop elsewhere.

Oh no this is expected and certainly will be part of the future for all pet owners.

It has been sugested many times and by the most respected of the radical no more pets groups, that one of the best ways to get rid of pet dogs is to start going after the owners. Make it very difficulte and intrusive to get a dog. Must have permit in advance from the shire in order to get a dog, tests and/or classes prior to getting a permit, home inspections and approval of the breed wanted, making sellers of pets responsiable to do background checks and the buyers would have to pay for all this (part of getting the permit) and seller would keep the documention, it goes on and on.

Oh I see! So ultimately they're trying to encourage black marketeering!

k9angel. When my local petshop had puppys for sale in their shop one day, I walked in - told the owner off, gave him a lecture about BYB and dog pounds, told him he'd lost a good customer, walked out without making my usual purchases and never returned.

Oh I see! So ultimately they're trying to encourage black marketeering!

k9angel. When my local petshop had puppys for sale in their shop one day, I walked in - told the owner off, gave him a lecture about BYB and dog pounds, told him he'd lost a good customer, walked out without making my usual purchases and never returned.

I asked to speak with the owner both times and he was out. ;)

I havent seen him there either. When I do see him I will be having a word to him, no garentee that he'll listen but I will be saying something. I don't even like going there now, it just makes me so sad and angry. :dancingelephant: ;)

I asked to speak with the owner both times and he was out. ;)

I havent seen him there either. When I do see him I will be having a word to him, no garentee that he'll listen but I will be saying something. I don't even like going there now, it just makes me so sad and angry. :dancingelephant: ;)

I am confused, do you support the sale of puppies in shops or not?

I asked to speak with the owner both times and he was out. :p

I havent seen him there either. When I do see him I will be having a word to him, no garentee that he'll listen but I will be saying something. I don't even like going there now, it just makes me so sad and angry. ;) :laugh:

No I do NOT support petshops selling puppies. How is it confusing?

I prefer to speak with him in person (he will know me once he sees my face - I consider myself a valued customer) and yes I will write to them aswell. If they continue to sell them I will let the owner know I will not be returning and will buy my supplies elsewhere.

I asked to speak with the owner both times and he was out. :p

I havent seen him there either. When I do see him I will be having a word to him, no garentee that he'll listen but I will be saying something. I don't even like going there now, it just makes me so sad and angry. ;) :laugh:

No I do NOT support petshops selling puppies. How is it confusing?

I prefer to speak with him in person (he will know me once he sees my face - I consider myself a valued customer) and yes I will write to them aswell. If they continue to sell them I will let the owner know I will not be returning and will buy my supplies elsewhere.

Why am I confused? Because you shop in a store that sells puppies. (Yes I mean shop there even once)

The most effective, fastest, legal and available way to stop puppies being sold in shops, is to never, ever shop at shops that sell them.

Everyone, right now, stop shpping there and tell them why every time you walk by the shop.

This would also not be supporting radical efforts to end dog ownership in this country.

It does beg the question.

How many people demanding massive restrictive legislation to be placed on all dog breeders,

as they believe this is the only way to stop pet shop puppies and puppy farms they support,

are still shopping, spending their money and finically supporting the very shops that sell the puppies from the puppy farms?

Edited by shortstep

For those living in the Newcastle region, stay away from the pet shops at Charlestown Square & Westfield Kotara as they continue to sell puppies in shocking conditions in a shopping centre!, oh & the Kotara store is owned by the president of an outlaw motorcycle gang, nice people NOT!. Stick to the petbarn, petstock, type stores that do the right thing.

Ban on Pet owners

By Briana Domjen

Pet shops should be given the power to conduct background checks on customers following an alarming spike in incidents of animal cruelty.

Animal welfare groups the RSPCA and the Animal Welfare League (AWL) are campaigning for increased autonomy for pet shop staff.

If introduced, pet shop owners would have the power to check criminal history for any charges associated with animal cruelty before allowing someone to take home a new puppy or kitten.

AWL CEO Maryann Dalton said the only way to address the issue of animal cruelty was to ban from buying pets anyone deemed unsafe.

"AWL would certainly support the recommendation by RSPCA to encourage pet shop owners to carry out background checks on customers they consider unfit to care for an animal", she said.

RSPCA inspectors recieved 15,083 complaints of animal cruelty in NSW this year - 2000 more than 2008.

The trend of torturing, slaughtering and dumping pets has outraged the RSPCA, which is calling for pet shop owners to choose an animal's welfare over a quick profit.

"They do have the right to refuse any sales, and we would encourage pet shop owners to err on the side of caution as opposed to making a quick sale if it means that the right animal goes to the right home:, RSPCA NSW chief executive Steve Coleman said.

"We've seen pups and kittens destroyed by a variety of means. "There is just no reason in this day and age".

But primary industries minister Steve Whan does not support the move, saying mandatory background checks on potential pet buyers as "impractical and unnecassary".

RSPCA inspector Matt French said he has seen shocking examples of animal cruelty".

"Somebody chose to drown their pet cat because it was an older cat and their reasoning was that they thought it would be too expensive to take it somewhere". Mr French said.

"I think it all comes down to the same thing, lack of education, lack of knowledge and lack of money".

Oh Maryann, GET REAL!

I literally cringe when I hear supposedly intelligent people from the animal welfare sector sprouting totally impractical ideas like this in the press!

Try to implement something like this and you will have Cameraon Whatshisface from the Civil Liberties whatever sprouting off about how this can lead to invasion of privacy and discriminatory practices, blah blah blah.

YOU DONT HAVE THE LAW ON YOUR SIDE MaryAnn, and you probably know this anyway.

Steve Whan is right ... your idea is impractical and unnecessary. And it wont stop people doing cruel things to animals!

When people hurt animals or other humans, they have made a choice to be cruel.

They should be punished for making such a choice.

If you want to help the animals, then target the justice system and tell them to lock the cruel bastards up, or better still, have the perpetrator receive the same kind of cruelty that they dished out to the animal.

Barbaric?

You bet.

Bring it on and make the punishment a public spectacle!

Cameron will be jumping up and down, but if you want to diminish crime to animals, teach by example. Make an example out of the perpetrators.

The word will quickly spread that it is not a good idea to be cruel to animals in Australia. Take a leaf out of Singapore's book re littering. The public example bit works.

Souff