Reputable Kelpie Breeder Recommendations

koalathebear

Rather than starting a new thread, I did try to post to this old thread but alas it's too old so I can no longer post to it.

OH and I are beginning our search for a second dog. Our current dog is a crossbreed - 3/4 kelpie, 1/4 border collie. After considering a shiba inu or a beagle, we have decided we would like a red and tan female kelpie. The kelpie thread in the subforums is becoming more active, but it's still pretty quiet, which is why I'm also posting here.

The dog would be a pet only - obedience trained, possibly some agility and recreational herding but just for fun. We have no interest in showing the dog. It would be living in the suburbs with Elbie. :thumbsup: We are aware of the activity requirements for kelpies - physical and intellectual stimulation.

We have emailed Noonbarra and Ringbarka so far. Does anyone have any other recommendations as well as feedback? Preferably NSW because we'd love to be able to go and pick up the puppy in person.

Also, if anyone has any cautionary tales about breeders that can't shared on the open forum, please PM me because we are very anxious to find the most suitable dog possible. Thanks very much in advance.

ETA: I did look at the DOL breeders listing on the main DOL page but they seemed to mostly be the show kelpies with solid colours. I know Callicoma is highly regarded but again, they seem to be solid colours as well and while it's shallow to like colour - we really do love the look of the red and tans.

Edited by koalathebear

Most of the agility dogs I know were bred by Spinifex.

Thanks PF! Will investigate. Not wedded to the agility thing, just want to make sure the doggy isn't bored.

We have been looking at a lot of breeder websites and my OH is a web designer and quite bemused by a lot of the websites. The Spinifex site refers to a litter born in 1998! ;) Must have been a while between updates! ;)

one of my kelpies has noonbarra lines and my other one is half barb kelpie half working kelpie, alot of these good breeders bred these dogs for hard long hour work like "noonbarra" etc.

They are really lovely dogs and can make fantastic pets no doubt but personally i feel without everyday running can become very demanding as a pet without the right attention on a daiy basis.

alot of people feel that border collies adapt better to city and pet life, and are a more relaxed dog ?

personal preferance?,

but unless you have the time for a working line kelpie that has been bred for hard intense work like their parents and grandparets, the pup wil almost naturally have that instict in it and will be quite active and full on, thats why you see alot of working kelpies at the pound because they end up in the wrong hands.

they are great dogs they just need the right owners

one of my kelpies has noonbarra lines and my other one is half barb kelpie half working kelpie, alot of these good breeders bred these dogs for hard long hour work like "noonbarra" etc.

They are really lovely dogs and can make fantastic pets no doubt but personally i feel without everyday running can become very demanding as a pet without the right attention on a daiy basis.

alot of people feel that border collies adapt better to city and pet life, and are a more relaxed dog ? personal preferance?, but unless you have the time for a working line kelpie that has been bred for hard intense work like their parents and grandparets, the pup wil almost naturally have that instict in it and will be quite active and full on, thats why you see alot of working kelpies at the pound because they end up in the wrong hands.

they are great dogs they just need the right owners

Thanks catherine. Our current puppy is 3/4 kelpie, 1/4 border collie ... a backyard bred "free to a good home" combo probably from working lines. Border collies are lovely but our puppy's mostly kelpie in his ways and we love that about him. He's very active and playful but we've found that he isn't particularly demanding so far. He goes to obedience, gets walks every couple of days, plays fetch in the backyard with us, he's been herding once and will probably go again. We work a LOT with him in terms of training and obedience and find that that tires him out a lot more than walking does so we haven't had any problems with destructive behaviour so far (touch wood!) We like how eager to please and smart kelpies are - the steady expression in their eyes and the funny division they have between 'work' and 'playtime'. We're aware that kelpies can be a tough gig in terms of having one as a pet but believe that we are psychologically willing and able. ;) One of the attractive features of the Noonbarra kelpies was that the website said that although they were working dogs, some of them were suited to being pets as well - a lot of the working kelpie websites don't say that ... i.e. make it very clear that the dogs are only 'designed' to work sheep.

Have you looked at the Working Kelpie Council website? http://www.wkc.org.au/ The best sheep dogs I know would make excellent pets. My dogs are total couch potatoes when not working. I'm sure two of my bitches would just love pet homes where they could curl up on comfortable furniture. When I take them for walks they are happy to stroll around and I often have to wait for them. I have to be careful to keep them from putting on weight when they are not doing much work. My two youngest are livelier and one can be excitable but they all spend most of their days sleeping. There are scatter brained Kelpies around but these don't make good working dogs either. It is more important to give Kelpies lots to think about rather than lots of exercise. From all you've written about Elbie, I'm sure you would give a Kelpie an excellent home.

Go to some agility trials and if there are Kelpies competing, ask their owners about their breeding and how their dogs cope as pets. It's important to meet adult Kelpies and see how they have turned out and if they have stayed sound - don't just talk to puppy owners, all puppies are cute and their owners will generally tell you they are wonderful.

Do you want working or show lines ? In many cases these have almost evolved to 2 different breeds - although this is a generalisation only as there are still several show lines out there that I know have good working ability, but obviously different qualities are valued in each of their breeding programs.

Might be a good idea to do a bit of research about the 2 first so you can make an informed decision as to what would suit you better. They are also quite different in appearance, working lines usually being a lot taller than show lines and with a more athletic build. You have actually emailed a working line (Noonbarra) and a show line (Ringbarka)

I have heard some good things about Ringbarka kelpies but have never met one so can't help you there.

I have 2 Noonbarra kelpies and compete in agility with them. Although from similar breeding they are like chalk and cheese in personality but both are great dogs in different ways and I am very happy with them and love them to bits. So I would certainly give you a positive recommendation there.

Stephen and Mary are also very good at matching dogs with owners depending on your situation, and won't just sell you any puppy that comes along. They also provide a fantastic 'after service' if you have any problems with your puppy and need help.

If you want to see any photos of mine you can read their blog here

Even if you decide not to buy from Noonbarra, I would recommend purchasing their book 'Kelpie Basics' - full of great information and training advice, especially if it is your first kelpie.

If you end up deciding on a show line you could certainly ask for advice in the kelpie thread as most of the contributors appear to be 'showies' so could point you in the right direction.

Good Luck with making your choice.

Thanks very much to everyone for their replies! Given the relatively low profile of the kelpie-lovers on DOL, I wasn't actually expecting much of a response ;) I've emailed a few breeders now - no response yet but I'll keep fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

shortstep & 4kelpies: Thanks for your suggestion - I'll call the Working Kelpie Council on Tuesday for a chat and some advice. 4kelpies - the way you describe your dogs reminds me of Elbie. When he's excited, he is extremely hyperactive and can move incredibly fast and frantically ... by contrast, as long as he's in the same room or the next room, he is totally happy to loll on his dog bed and snooze or watch the world go by. He will also play on his own with his toys for ages. We play with him every day and he gets about an hour or so of training/obedience for his meals and then he'll just be tuckered out. When we got him, so many people tried to warn us off saying that he would be too active for our lifestyle but he seems to have fit in very well. We wondered whether or not we got some sort of strange mutant kelpie/border collie: "Once in every 5 generations comes ... a Couch Potato Kelpie ..." ;)

Sheridan and Daisy: Thanks so much for posting. I keep a very close eye on the rescue section on DOL and it's extremely heart-breaking to see how many kelpies/kelpie crosses end up at the pound. They are such beautiful dogs and because of their nature and spirit, being at the pound must be extra awful for them. I agonised for a while about the choice between rescue or purebred from reputable breeder and have opted for the latter because our current dog is quite shy and it will be important to have a dog that gets along with him. We want to have relative certainty regarding temperament and health and that's not something I can be sure of with a rescue.

Right now, I'm confining my poor efforts at rescue to simply making donations. When both pups are old enough, I hope to try my paw at fostering kelpies/kelpie crosses, which will be my small attempt at helping out at rescue in a more substantive manner.

kelpiechick: Thanks for your post. I'd prefer working lines from a temperament and colouring perspective. I also like the leaner, leggier looks of the working lines. The show kelpies tend to be a bit more solid and chunky. We emailed Ringbarka because another thread had mentioned that they struck a nice balance between the two. Noonbarra was the very first website I ever read about kelpies and I always thought that if I got a purebred kelpie (unlikely because in my family, having a purebred dog is akin to being wasteful and buying a yacht or something :dancingelephant: ), it would be a Noonburra. Thus when we decided that we really DID want to get a purebred kelpie, we immediately thought of Noonburra. I'm really glad you have positive feedback about them and hope to hear back from them - perhaps they're very busy, which is why I haven't heard back yet.

As mentioned before, they are the only 'working kelpie' website I've found that specifically refer to their kelpies being suitable as pets in the suburbs as well. Most of the other sites emphasise that the kelpies are for sheep work only.

Mystiqview: Thanks for your recommendation. Will check out the website!

Edited by koalathebear

I have nothing useful to add KTB, other than good luck with your search for your next Kelpie!!! They sure are a great breed!

Having dealt now with ridgies and kelpies, I would have to say that for me, Kelpies are far easier... :laugh: ;)

Our Red & Tan bitch is from working lines, has plenty of instinct - but not the frenzied kind that you sometimes see in a Kelpie that doesnt work stock. Shes not obsessed with any of her toys or games either, Im glad to say...For a pet that lives on five acres she is a well balanced girl!!

Keep us posted about how you get on :p

I know you say you prefer the straight working bred dogs but have a look at Wingdari at Peak Hill. They mainly show solid colours but do breed dogs with tan points as well. Not sure about the colours with Kla at Cowra but both these kennels have been around a long time and have produced some great dogs.

Whatever kennel you go to ask about epilepsy and ataxia in the lines as well as hip scoring.

My girl, although bred by Tangarlee is from Ringbarka lines. Her breeder works closely with Cass (Ringbarka) and I'm very happy thus far with my girl. She is incredibly intelligent but as sweet as sugar.

I had another Kelpie a few years ago from a well known show kennel and he was nothing but a PITA.

Best of luck with your search, I will be interested to see which puppy you choose :p I grew up with working line kelpies, we lived on 5 acres and my mum loved them and has been a member of the WKC all her adult life, she still helps out with their newsletters and stuff even though she doesn't own a dog anymore (mum and dad are in their seventies and decided after their last dog died not to get another one). I have known Barbara Cooper from the WKC all my life and can second the poster who said that she would be easy to talk to and very helpful :laugh:

There is a nurse that works at http://www.woofpurnay.com.au/index.php mostly in the dog pool section who has the most stunning black male, quiet, lovely manners, smarty pants. She did some flyball with him.

I don't know the lines sorry, I think they may have been Vic breeders. But if you wanted to make a random phone call, the desk staff would put you on to her I'm sure. :p

There is a nurse that works at http://www.woofpurnay.com.au/index.php mostly in the dog pool section who has the most stunning black male, quiet, lovely manners, smarty pants. She did some flyball with him.

I don't know the lines sorry, I think they may have been Vic breeders. But if you wanted to make a random phone call, the desk staff would put you on to her I'm sure. :coffee:

Ask for Onyx's owner. I have a vague recollection that he came from NSW. He is the bottom pic in the first post of this thread.

I don't know the lines sorry, I think they may have been Vic breeders. But if you wanted to make a random phone call, the desk staff would put you on to her I'm sure. :laugh:

Ask for Onyx's owner. I have a vague recollection that he came from NSW. He is the bottom pic in the first post of this thread.

Yes, Onyx, I want to steal him. :rofl: