Dogs On Utes

Lucy's mama

They are subject to the wind, rain, snow and heat if they are not caged properly with shelter.

Then there's the issue of them being tied on, or not tied on at all, I think it's dangerous even on a short tether and if you roll the ute they are buggered.

Strangers think it's ok to pat them and heaven forbid if your dog decides one day that's not on

They can be easily stolen.

They are easy targets for people who want to do something nasty to them

Easy to unclip and set free.

Ditto.

We don't exactly live in a 'city' our town has about 5000 people and one 'real' set of traffic lights - the rest are pedestrian operated only LOL.

Our two get around in the back of the ute when ever we need to take them somewhere, ie: down to the beach (not quite 10 minutes away) or to the vet (2 minutes across town). They don't come with us if we have 'other stuff' to do, ie: shopping or doctors or anything, if the trip isn't about them, they stay home.

They are always tethered short enough that they can't get to the side of the ute, they can peak through the gap in the head board for wind but that's it. They are both on harnesses not their collars. Most of the time they just sit together or lay down (they are lazy).

I do not agree at all with having dogs in the back of a parked, unattended vehicle. If the stop is for 2 minutes then fine but anything more the dog's shouldn't be left there, particularly when unshaded or exposed to rain etc. I get really frustrated by people who do not tether their dogs in at all as well.

BUT I get more cranky with people who allow their dogs 'into the car' with them and you see them sitting on the drivers lap with their head out the window, or on the front seat not harnessed in, really anywhere in the car not harnessed in, but particularly on the drivers lap. This poses a whole load of other issues.

If you dog is restrained and not left to sit in the elements and it is merely a mode of transport (ie: not left to sit there in parked vehicle) I see no issue.

If you were going to buy a ute but are worried about containment issues.. why not just buy a station wagon?? Much better option for safe dog transport if you ask me.

ETA: Although.. I certainly wouldn't reccomend leaving ANY dog unattended in a station wagon or a ute for that matter!

Edited by Skitch

If you were going to buy a ute but are worried about containment issues.. why not just buy a station wagon?? Much better option for safe dog transport if you ask me.

perhaps- but there are LOTS of things one can transport in a traytop or ute which can not fit into a stationwagon. :) Motorbikes/hay bales/furniture/building materials/large boxes........

perhaps- but there are LOTS of things one can transport in a traytop or ute which can not fit into a stationwagon. :) Motorbikes/hay bales/furniture/building materials/large boxes........

Very true.. it's the reason we have both a ute and a station wagon! The OP did state that they were going to buy a ute specifically to make it more convenient to transport their dog though. If the only reason you're buying a ute is to transport the dog.. a station wagon is a FAR better option in my books :cheer:.

But in either case.. I would never leave a dog on the back of a ute or in a station wagon unattended for any length of time. I know plenty of people do it but to me it's just not worth the risk!

Edited by Skitch

Well, two reasons - more convenient for the dog and for the pushies. This is the first time we have been uteless in 7 or 8 years and I do miss the convenience.

I myself am not worried about containment issues because I think I have it all worked out. I was just wondering if others are opposed to dogs on utes altogether or if they think it is o.k if the dog is contained and sheltered.

Edited by Lucy's mama

I don't see an issue with dogs travelling in

utes as long as they are appropriately tethered :rofl: my dogs regularly went in the back of the ute everywhere we went, they were secure and they loved it and would eagerly run and jump in the ute in anticipation of going somewhere :rofl:

Reasons I am not in favour of dogs on ute, that I have personally seen.

Dogs hung and killed

Dog not tehthered fall off and broken up or killed

Dogs badly broken and injured

Dogs tied too long and had their back end driven over while still tied on - and survived suprisingly!

Dogs suffering heat exhaustion

Dogs with burns to their feet.

Dogs jumping off while stationary and being hit by other vehicles

Dogs being stolen or biting at people and other dogs.

Dogs loosing eyes after being hit by a rock or bug??

I do not have a problem if they are adequately contained.

I would go sturdy cage/crate. Flooring to prevent the floor heating up say wood panelling maybe?

A roof over the top. If a canvas cover is used have it so you can roll up the sides to make sure you have cross ventilation. This helps to stop a build up of heat in summer. Sides that roll down are of course needed for winter.

Nice soft bedding for them to stand or lay on

Well, two reasons - more convenient for the dog and for the pushies. This is the first time we have been uteless in 7 or 8 years and I do miss the convenience.

I know a woman who has a crate on the back of her ute for her dog, she has a cover which is reflective silver coating on 5 of the sides to keep the crate sheltered & cool.

I have no issue with that at all, it's pretty comfy looking. I have a stationwagon with a crate in the back for my own dog which works OK, but I don't think it's any more comfy for my dog than her ute setup would be.

We only travel our dogs in a ute, that is all we have!! (we have two utes)

One of the utes, if they travel in are always tied in, and tied in properly (The right length and chain etc). They have to be, just stupidity if they are not. We have NEVER had a problem.

Our other ute, a hilux, is fitted out with our dog cages. We do sheep dog trialling so we have a lot of dogs, both kelpies and BC's.

Our ute has seven cages, each cage has its own water container. They are then covered with canvas. You would all be surprised at how COOL the canvas is. It has air vents and has really good air circulation. Our dogs travel really well. I do have some photos of our set up if you are interested, but I dont think it is really what you want. The whole back of our ute is cages. It works really well for us.

I wouldn't leave a dog in a ute at the beach or at the shops, I would worry about them in the heat, even if there was a canopy.

The only time either of my girls would be left in the car for a few minutes is if they came in the car at night (provided it wasn't a hot summers night), and I had to duck into a shop for a couple of minutes.