Ivy Chewing On My Things

lopolla

My white shep of 8 months chews on my things. i take the stuff off her and tell her no but it keeps happening, it's not all day everyday but enough to annoy me. im a little pissed this morning as i came out of the shower to find her chewing on my expensive orthotics for my feet, which she had managed to get out of the shoe. she is now on her bed and is not allowed to move. its raining outside, that is why she is inside, i dont normally leave her unattended in the house but there isnt much shelter outside.

she nicks things off the bench like paper towels and things, we do not leave food on the bench. I'm just getting rather sick of it and not sure what else to do about it. she also nicks my housemates shoes and has a nibble. i know shes still a puppy and will probably go through second round of teething soon but enough is enough!

also when left outside and wants to come in she jumps at the screen door. i have always ignored behavior like this and only let her in when she is calm and i am ready, however she doesn't stop. a friend suggested a spray bottle with water every time she does it, but i am never near the door when its happening and if i open the wooden door (with security still shut) she gets excited and doesn't do it.

seems to be one thing after the other with my girl lol.

any help would be great.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

im a little pissed this morning as i came out of the shower to find her chewing on my expensive orthotics for my feet, which she had managed to get out of the shoe

If you won't keep things away from her, then its your fault I'm afraid if she chews them.

I'd not be punishing the dog for my own mistake - she'd have absolutely no idea why she'd be in trouble.

Put anything away you don't want her to have. Baby gates are a great way of keeping dogs out of rooms you don't want them in (even compost bin panels work)

What chews do you offer her? There is no second round of teething - she's got all the teeth she's ever going to get. What you're probably dealing with is boredom and an appropriate channel for the chewing and putting things away or keeping her out of areas is the only way to go.

Sounds like a decent kennel outside might be a good investment to.

The chewing thing is really annoying I know, whippet puppies and even some adults are devils for it. I am afraid I dont have any good news for you though, other than it will be up to you to look around and think to yourself, what will she grab to chew. I suspect the answer will be almost anything, and it will be up to you to keep doors shut if you dont want her in there, and anything of value out of reach when she's around.

I used to look around and anything new, anything sticking out, anything that smells of you, anything you treasure keep out of her reach.

Just a few months ago Penny who is 11 now and hasn't chewed anything for years got a little toy of mine that is about 45 years old and much treasured. It was up on a bookshelf but for some reason she got up there and chewed it to bits. I couldn't bring myself to throw it away, but it's in peices now. :laugh:

It's going to mean a change on your part to deal with this stage but keeping things out of reach is the main way to handle with it. Yes try to discourage her too and give her things she's allowed to have, but she still wont be able to discern what is fair game and what is out of bounds.

Edited by Kirislin

Is she crate trained?

Maybe you could put her in there when you can't supervise her directly.

I would also start putting her in time outs for misbehaviour if you haven't already tried that.

If my puppy does something naughty i will just quietly and calmly put her in the laundary for 5 minutes or so (remove her form the "pack") and this seems enough punishment for her as she likes to be with us.

Here's my suggestion.

When you find her chewing something that she shouldn't, go get a newspaper, roll it it up and then start whacking yourself on the head until you stop leaving things laying around for her to chew. :laugh:

I don't normally advocate adversive techniques but this one does work. :love:

I am lucky to have never had a chewer...but can imagine what it would feel like :love:

What exercise/training does your pup get every day? What interactive toys does she have inside?

I agree that if things are within reach, and they get chewed.... the dog is not the only one who made a mistake. :laugh:

Baby gating is a great idea (we use old firescreens) keeps rooms reasonably protected :)

I have started crate training her some time ago and shes not too bad in the crate, but i have recently changed rooms and have no room now to put the crate, but i am going to be setting it up in the lounge/kitchen.

i already put pretty much everything away, before i leave a room i do think what could she chew! i also shut off the loungeroom and kitchen so she cant get in, so all she has is the hallway and my room.

a kennel is not something i can afford right now.

i am not blaming my dog entirely, however i am trying to work out a way to reduce the occurence. today it probably was my fault but i am doing what i can so that she doesnt have the options to chew. sometimes things slip by however. she has a few toys inside like a tug of war toy, things she likes to chew.

thanks for your suggestions

My dog is not a serious chewer, she is more of a "nibbler" but I can tell when this happens she is bored/frustrated.

When she begins to nibble on things, I take her outside and play with her for a bit in the garden, maybe do some training or go for a quick walk (10 mins or so). If when we have finished that, she continues to chew, she will go into her crate or the laundary. I usually put her in her crate with a kangaroo or rawhide type chew or one of her toys, as i understand she is a puppy and she is teething.

im a little pissed this morning as i came out of the shower to find her chewing on my expensive orthotics for my feet, which she had managed to get out of the shoe

If you won't keep things away from her, then its your fault I'm afraid if she chews them.

I'd not be punishing the dog for my own mistake - she'd have absolutely no idea why she'd be in trouble.

Put anything away you don't want her to have. Baby gates are a great way of keeping dogs out of rooms you don't want them in (even compost bin panels work)

What chews do you offer her? There is no second round of teething - she's got all the teeth she's ever going to get. What you're probably dealing with is boredom and an appropriate channel for the chewing and putting things away or keeping her out of areas is the only way to go.

Poodlefan is offering great advice. It is natural for dogs to chew particularly puppies, so what things are you leaving her to chew on that she is allowed to chew? You need to take ALL things away that you don't want her to chew - and I mean ALL but also leave her with things that she is allowed to chew so that she learns what is appropriate to chew and what is not.

My girl was a chewer so I know eactly how hard it can be! But if you don't give her outlets for this she she'll find her own stuff to chew on and that will generally be your stuff. I am at the point where my girl will still pull all the stuffing out of her toys and her bed (which looks exactly like my cushins on the couch) but she won't touch my couch or the cushins or my bed pillows etc. 99% of the time. I'm happy with that... her bed is hers and she can do with it as she likes, and I'm the poor sucker who keeps putting the stuffing back in :laugh:

Try "Freecycle" for a free kennel or the recycling places. A couple of yrs ago I picked up a barrel type kennel with a peak roof for only $10 still solid but too small for my adult rotties, but perfect for when we have pups. Or check the local papers for a second hand kennel.

I also got some "damaged" kennels a few months back for heavily reduced prices and they were only slightly cracked in one corner, when set up you would never know.

Poodlefan is offering great advice. It is natural for dogs to chew particularly puppies, so what things are you leaving her to chew on that she is allowed to chew? You need to take ALL things away that you don't want her to chew - and I mean ALL but also leave her with things that she is allowed to chew so that she learns what is appropriate to chew and what is not.

My girl was a chewer so I know eactly how hard it can be! But if you don't give her outlets for this she she'll find her own stuff to chew on and that will generally be your stuff. I am at the point where my girl will still pull all the stuffing out of her toys and her bed (which looks exactly like my cushins on the couch) but she won't touch my couch or the cushins or my bed pillows etc. 99% of the time. I'm happy with that... her bed is hers and she can do with it as she likes, and I'm the poor sucker who keeps putting the stuffing back in :)

as i said, she is not really left alone inside unsupervised, this morning was an exception due to the rain for 10 minutes while i had a shower lol. normally if i see her chewing i replace it with one of her toys and put the the other thing away, as i said. this morning after i caught her i made her sit on her bed as she KNOWS shoes are a no go and she managed to get my orthotics out of my shoe, and she knew she had done the wrong thing. after that i did 10 or 15 mins of some general training stuff before i had to leave, and she was superb! :party:

poodlefan did offer some advice yes, but i was not looking at being told whose fault it is.

so basically she has 'chew' toys such as tug o war thing and some sqeaky stuff etc outside - where she spends her time when i am not home. and inside she has her tug o war toy. she gets played with everyday, as often as i can, and every couple of days the neighbors dog comes over and they have a big exhausting play date. there hasn't been much walking lately due to me being rather busy with study - this is not an opening for judgement from anyone either, not everyone can walk their dog everyday, she still gets played with/exercise lol !!

she has her set things she is allowed to play with/destroy/chew on, and apart from that i don't let her use anything of my own. i have found some advice from a friend which i am going to try rather than blocking entrances, the lounge and kitchen already get shut off. and i put away what i can in my room.

i appreciate the advice i have been given. i will look into getting a kennel when i can, as was always my intention. thanks :party:

Unfortunately some dogs are just chewers and apart from crating there is not a lot you can do.

My 5yr old lab loves to chew. He has plenty of chew toys, gets plenty of exercise, has two other dogs to play with and I spend heaps of time with him. He just likes chewing!

I pretty much hide everything. Well, yesterday he chewed the electric blanket on the spare bed. I've lost phones, doonas, pillows, orthotics, sunglasses, books, blankets, outdoor chairs and more

Fortunately, I can't get too worked up about it. For all the love that he gives me he is worth it. :)

My girl was a chewer so I know eactly how hard it can be! But if you don't give her outlets for this she she'll find her own stuff to chew on and that will generally be your stuff. I am at the point where my girl will still pull all the stuffing out of her toys and her bed (which looks exactly like my cushins on the couch) but she won't touch my couch or the cushins or my bed pillows etc. 99% of the time. I'm happy with that... her bed is hers and she can do with it as she likes, and I'm the poor sucker who keeps putting the stuffing back in :)

as i said, she is not really left alone inside unsupervised, this morning was an exception due to the rain for 10 minutes while i had a shower lol. normally if i see her chewing i replace it with one of her toys and put the the other thing away, as i said. this morning after i caught her i made her sit on her bed as she KNOWS shoes are a no go and she managed to get my orthotics out of my shoe, and she knew she had done the wrong thing. after that i did 10 or 15 mins of some general training stuff before i had to leave, and she was superb! :party:

poodlefan did offer some advice yes, but i was not looking at being told whose fault it is.

so basically she has 'chew' toys such as tug o war thing and some sqeaky stuff etc outside - where she spends her time when i am not home. and inside she has her tug o war toy. she gets played with everyday, as often as i can, and every couple of days the neighbors dog comes over and they have a big exhausting play date. there hasn't been much walking lately due to me being rather busy with study - this is not an opening for judgement from anyone either, not everyone can walk their dog everyday, she still gets played with/exercise lol !!

she has her set things she is allowed to play with/destroy/chew on, and apart from that i don't let her use anything of my own. i have found some advice from a friend which i am going to try rather than blocking entrances, the lounge and kitchen already get shut off. and i put away what i can in my room.

i appreciate the advice i have been given. i will look into getting a kennel when i can, as was always my intention. thanks :party:

I'm not judging, just trying to offer you advice. I have seriously been where you are, twice in fact so actually know how to solve this problem and can help you if you want to take my advice.

Unfortunately you have a breed of dog that requires a walk every day or else its going to have pent up energy and nothing to do with it plus not having enough stimulation so hence the chewing probably out of boredom. Playing is one thing but taking in new sighs, sounds and smells provides excercise and mental stimulation. I know that you study has to take priority but you're better off walking the dog for 10 minutes in your study breaks instead of a play session.

Secondly, you need to provide chew toys that are more exciting than tug o war toys. These are interactive toys that they use to play with you. Things like kongs with stuffed food in them, treat balls they roll around to get the food out, pigs ears, bones and raw hide chews are more what I mean. Something with food involved to keep their interest.

Blocking entrances and managing the behaviour really isn't a bad thing. It is just setting her up for success so that she cannot get to the things you don't want her to chew on. If you want to stop the behaviour then managing it in the first place until she knows what is acceptable is a REALLY important step.

Finally, if she knew that your shoes and orthodics were a no go she wouldn't have chewed them. THey don't do things like that to spite us. I'm not having a go here at all but I just want to point out that this is communication from her to you that she doesn't yet understand what is expected of her yet.

I'm not judging, just trying to offer you advice. I have seriously been where you are, twice in fact so actually know how to solve this problem and can help you if you want to take my advice.

Unfortunately you have a breed of dog that requires a walk every day or else its going to have pent up energy and nothing to do with it plus not having enough stimulation so hence the chewing probably out of boredom. Playing is one thing but taking in new sighs, sounds and smells provides excercise and mental stimulation. I know that you study has to take priority but you're better off walking the dog for 10 minutes in your study breaks instead of a play session.

Secondly, you need to provide chew toys that are more exciting than tug o war toys. These are interactive toys that they use to play with you. Things like kongs with stuffed food in them, treat balls they roll around to get the food out, pigs ears, bones and raw hide chews are more what I mean. Something with food involved to keep their interest.

Blocking entrances and managing the behaviour really isn't a bad thing. It is just setting her up for success so that she cannot get to the things you don't want her to chew on. If you want to stop the behaviour then managing it in the first place until she knows what is acceptable is a REALLY important step.

Finally, if she knew that your shoes and orthodics were a no go she wouldn't have chewed them. THey don't do things like that to spite us. I'm not having a go here at all but I just want to point out that this is communication from her to you that she doesn't yet understand what is expected of her yet.

thanks, i do appreciate it. she doesnt play with her kong, ive tried putting different food stuffs inside but once the food is gone she doesnt give a rats about the kong ball lol. she ocassionaly gets pigs ears etc, ill just have to start giving her more, she just goes through them so quickly. she also gets a bone or a few every week, not huge ones, but the medium sized marrow bones. she LOVES her squeaky toys but i just can't handle them inside with the constant high pitched squeak haha! especially when studying it drives me bonkers!

i think with the shoes she is confused, i have just had a thought about it which might make a bit of sense. just had a housemate move out who let her chew on anything, i would always correct it if i saw it, but she did often let her inside when i wasnt home and let her do her own thing, chew on whatever she wanted, and this housemate didnt really adhere to the rules i had put down for my dog. i don't know why i didnt think of this already as why my ivy might be getting confused, im not saying this is the entire reason this is happening, but the housemate only moved out a week or so ago.

I agree- sounds like interactive toys would be fun for her :) rattleballs/treatballs- those toys which have plastic bottles inside- so they make a very satisfying 'crunch/crackle' when chomped ...( I recently bought some from Cheap as chips). all those sort of things will perhaps keep her attention longer? Our youngsters love those black hard plastic rough surface balls which make a weird 'laughing' noise when rolled!! (CaC again) :party: The noise drives us mad- but here, they fill up with sand and are silenced soon enough :laugh:

i did 10 or 15 mins of some general training stuff before i had to leave, and she was superb!

:party::laugh: