X Breeding Dog?

A and G

HI All,

I just wanted to ask for your thoughts. I have just adopted a beautiful lab from the pound. She was just found roaming the streets and her microchip details were out of date so they could not contact the owners. She is 6 and was not desexed. The shelter vet seemed to think has had a few litters of puppies but was a bit vague. I was just curious if there is anyway you can tell roughly how many litters she may have had? She has quite saggy teats but i think they look saggier as she has been shaved for her desexing op. I wish she could talk so I could find out her past, but I guess this is what everyone wishes about shelter dogs! She is such a loving girl, I have already fallen head over heals for her! :laugh:

mmmmm just interested that all ( and hoping she was not from a BYB for her sake! :D)

I had a vet tell me that there is no way to tell if a dog has never been bred from.

which i found strange to say the least.

considering i remember reading in the news once that a lady had been found murdered and one of the comments made was that she had had children so that ruled out missing women and girls who had not.

soo? if thats applicalbe for a human why not a dog?

at the time had been accused of breeding from a bitch my mum had as a pet which hadnt been desexed.. so had asked the vet for a certificate stated she had never been bred from, n since the vet was desexing her at the time did think it was a reasonable request. she flatly refused saying there is no way a vet can tell. so how can a doctor say so about a woman??

No, no way of telling how many litters she may have had...

Can you tell if they have had any litters?

I was told that Honey may have had a litter- I assumed it was because her teats were droopy. No? :laugh:

Every bitch is so different, some bitches can raise a litter and their under-carriage will shrink back to what it was pre-puppies, other bitches never get their figure back!

My old girl at home (well, she's not old - she's 7 but she's my old girl) only ever had the one litter of puppies (one litter is the norm for my girls) she is now spayed but you would never know she'd raised a litter of 8...on the other hand the other old girl (also 7) never got her figure back and it's evident she raised a litter.

And adding to Aziah's comments, I know some bitches that have never been bred from but have saggy under-carriages. The other thing that people look out for when trying to determine if they have been bred from is the colour. I can also say that I have had bitches in with black teats, pink teats and teats that are totally discoloured compared to the skin around them and it still doesn;t confirm if they have had pups or how many litters they have had.

Like humans, they are all different.

Edited by ~Anne~

thanks everyone. Guess I am at a loss then and will never find out! Thats fine though she is safe and happy now and that's the most important thing! Here is a pick of her, sorry I am such a proud mum!

post-35275-1287460195_thumb.jpg

I had a vet tell me that there is no way to tell if a dog has never been bred from.

which i found strange to say the least.

considering i remember reading in the news once that a lady had been found murdered and one of the comments made was that she had had children so that ruled out missing women and girls who had not.

soo? if thats applicalbe for a human why not a dog?

at the time had been accused of breeding from a bitch my mum had as a pet which hadnt been desexed.. so had asked the vet for a certificate stated she had never been bred from, n since the vet was desexing her at the time did think it was a reasonable request. she flatly refused saying there is no way a vet can tell. so how can a doctor say so about a woman??

I think with humans they check at post mortem - they'd be looking at the pubic symphisis and also for evidence of an episiotomy. Not really things you can check (and write a legal certificate for) in a live dog!

A and G - Congratulations on adopting a beautiful girl, she can now live out her life being a spoilt pet with you :laugh:

And adding to Aziah's comments, I know some bitches that have never been bred from but have saggy under-carriages. The other thing that people look out for when trying to determine if they have been bred from is the colour. I can also say that I have had bitches in with black teats, pink teats and teats that are totally discoloured compared to the skin around them and it still doesn;t confirm if they have had pups or how many litters they have had.

Like humans, they are all different.

I would agree with this - I had a Bitch who had four (reasonably large) litters but you would never know to look at her - she used to "get her figure back" very quickly!

A vet friend of mine told me the only way to determine if a bitch had had puppies was an autopsy and they could tell by changes to the uterine wall etc that suggested pregnancy at some stage.....

well in the case of my mums dog she was desexing her so she had the entire uterus to examine and looked me in the face and said there was no way she could tell if the dog had never been mated???????

the dog was 6 as mum had taken ages to decide to get her done, it was only because she and her playmate began ummm practicing on each other, both girls incidently, mum decided it was embarrassing. so got them done. tried to explain to mum this is a dominance posturing, so dont go thinking its going to stop once desexed. ( although health wise was for the best as pymetra could have been on the horizon for both of em otherwise)

lol boy was she put out soon as the stitches were out they were back at it :rofl:

Edited by asal