Herding Talk Thread

Ok, I think I'm confused :confused:

So HS you don't have to stay within the line of witches hats and do all voice control?

My pup finally turned 6 months last week, so entered in a HIT (with moved ups allowed on the day) in 2 weeks :D She did the HT 3 times yesterday but I struggled with the sheep. Being an ACD she works closer than the collies and as a result the sheep push up quicker and were kinda swamping me. :o Slowly (read snails pace) working on a bubble.

Can't wait to go for a road trip to Victoria and try cattle in the distant future. Have you guys tried cattle? I have been recommended a 3 day clinic in Tenterfield NSW called 'Low Stress Stock Handling' and it's on cattle.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you watched Ann working Jinnie and twist then you were most likely watching Advanced.

For started, after the outrun and lift oyu can basically walk anwhere but into the fenceline obstacles. There would have been 3 markers down the centre of the course (assuming we are talking A course with all of this of course), you set the dog at the centre marker and you can walk along the centre line to the fmarker closest to the sheep, you then send your dog to pick up the stock and bring them to you and you start walking up and around the furthest cone and then to the obstacles. In intermediate you have some handler and restrictions and in advanced you stand at the C marker cone for the majority.

Hope that clarifies. the ANKC herding rules can be downloaded from the ANKC webpage. They can be a bit confusing at times but do explain the course and different levels fairly well.

Ann did do a demo of a started A with Jinnie. I didn't see the beginning so she may have stood at the B cone to send her dog rather than on the A cone closer to the sheep. She may also have done an advanced demo but I didn't see as I was instructing in another arena.

In started A in a minimum sized arena the B cone (where the dog is left) is just over 15 metres from where the sheep are set and the A cone where te handler can stand only a few metres from the sheep so the cast is not that bad if your dog arcs round its sheep. The ANKC rules are designed most of the time to allow for the difficulty of each level to progress nicely and to allow the hanler to trial at a lower level but still work some of the harder elements of the higher levels. The exception is started B which does not allow you to do any driving.

Thanks guys. It was a bit of a buzz.

Sherlot - we had 7 in started A today which was fantastic for here plus 1 in intermedaiet and 5 on started B (only 2 were also on A course) so it was quite pleasing.

Piper managed her B course pass on sheep today so was 3 from 3 for the weekend. Unfortunately she is extremely lame tomight so I am not sure we will try B sheep again. It was fun though, I enjoyed it.

I hope Piper is OK an congratulations on her first pass.

I love B course even if Cole didn't manage the shed at his last 3 trials (bl**dy flighty glued together merinos lol).

inevitable,

I wouldn't worry about all that stuff yet anyway.. if your dog is not up to trialling stage.. keep entering PT.. its a good way to get used to the stress, and you can practise controlling your dog in a "trial like" setting.. I do that with my bitch who is a pain in the ass..

an advanced run is tricky to all competitors.. especially if your sheep or ducks aren't compliant!

on the point of cows, we are not touching them yet in perth, but one of our committee members might be getting some soon!! look out!!

I enjoyed watching Ann when she came to Vic for our state trial a couple of years ago.

Mmmm B course. Poppy is much more confident going and getting sheep from a long distance now so she might be ready to do a B course. The fetch was the only thing that was an issue last time I tried. She didn't want to go so far from Mummy.

She does sometimes forget that I need the sheep though and goes into a little trance and drives the sheep where ever she feels like it :rofl: Normally through the obstacles as I think she has learnt the A course layout :rofl: So would need to check that she will bring me the sheep and not go off free styling.

the good thing about the space on Stephs farm is practising the outrun at gradual size increases is a matter of you walking further..

luckily for me, Training the outrun was easy.. the problem I had was if I was to far away sooty lost his power... and didn't lift the sheep, so we practised a few power exercises and now he does it well, so a 300m B course outrun wouldn't be to hard for him..

I just need to work on driving... hopefully next year he'll be driving well and I can do my intermediate runs.. and hes not even 3 yet!

Hi guys,

First post in this thread so forgive me if this has already been asked and answered previously (couldn't find anything in the thread with a quick glance)

Who takes dogs on to train to herd? I have a beautiful smokey kelpie (she's not a fawn - don't start me on that arguement lol - my fawn is a different colour to her!) who really needs education (she really wants to work) but I don't have the knowledge or the time atm to train her. I got her from Kurri Kurri pound 2 years ago and she knows the basics. She is a typical active kelpie (AKA Energiser Bunny on Speed!) but is now learning to settle. I have recently taught her to 'heel' (Still working on refining it a bit) and she knows the basics (sit, stay - bit of a challange a times as she gets distracted at times, come) We haven't mastered drop - no matter what I have tried, she will not do it :banghead: (probably I'm the problem here!)

I only have about a dozen cows and she has assisted me (more like hindered!) when I was droving the cattle from the back paddock a few months ago (threeway faceoff between a steer, my horse and I and her ended up with her trodden on!). She did show initiative, which is why I'd like to get her trained properly.

I've been researching it myself, but as I currently work 7 days a week, and am away from her and home two of those days, I don't think I'm the right person, even if I had the knowledge :(

So if anyone wanted a challange or knew anyone (happy to pay, name a price lol!) please contact me via PM (I'll try to come back to this thread lol).

Thanks for reading my rambling :)

I personally would train her, I feel you too need to learn it together, herding is not like any other dog thing, its teamwork! and is your trainer going to bring your cows in at night..

I would if living in NSW train you to train her however!

I knew nothing when I started on my Sooty.. in fact I'd never been in the same paddock as a sheep and my own dog. so your one step up on me..

I dont know if one of the DogsNSW will take your offer on.. but I think it would be much better for you to take your dog to erskine park and train it yourself...

Hey ES,

To see if you might like herding, and getting to EP is too difficult can you take a weekend off work and go to a Robert & Jenny Cox clinic?

I recently took a 5 month old pup to one and it was great. There is one on the last weekend in July if your interested. All different breeds go, two gorgeous Corgis at the last one, and they tell me they have even had Poodles there.

Not as good as weekly training, but you will learn what commands you need, and what to practice on at home. Hey, at least you have animals at home to practice on...... (jealous!)

Edited by Inevitablue

Inevitablue - If I could get time off I definitely would - unfortunetly my weekend work I'm the only person available :(

My cows don't really need the push (they all have names and come when called lol)

Sherlot - If I had the time etc to train her myself, I definitely would - I'd love to do it with her, but I feel with my schedule all over the place indefinitely (at least for the next few months). I was thinking about rehoming her somewhere who has the time to spend with her, but I was talked out of it by some people who know us well.

Well we took the guys to do some sheep work yesterday, beautiful day for sheep herding and a beautiful day for photography :). I got to see both of Links pups work (Rush & Cruize) and their dad, plus Whip had a good go as well. It is times like this that i feel a very proud breeder :).

Rush

5875941451_f7033af45b.jpg

5875942283_1f30e1e2d3.jpg

Cruize

5876501344_b9d0c1fc87.jpg

5875940289_c1189935fe.jpg

Whip

5875942639_f2c18ab202.jpg

5876503906_733c0ec4f6.jpg

Ryans Sean (Rush & Cruizes Sire)

5875943583_f42391bd4f.jpg

5875938381_2c072b1456.jpg

5876499484_4271a209bc.jpg

Lovely pics. ETA - did you take them? I especially like the last three - very nicely set up.

Also some lovely examples of "eyes on" with some of those flanks in the yard - anyone who did Lynn Leach or Trudy Viklund's clinics here in Vic will know what I am talking about :laugh:

Edited by superminty

Lovely pics. ETA - did you take them? I especially like the last three - very nicely set up.

Also some lovely examples of "eyes on" with some of those flanks in the yard - anyone who did Lynn Leach or Trudy Viklund's clinics here in Vic will know what I am talking about :laugh:

Hi Superminty yes these are my photos :) i cant help myself when i see dogs work i try to capture 'something different' I particulary like the last 2 as does Seans Owner :).

Good luck everyone at the Working Dog Club trial & tests tomorrow at Erskine Park :D

Soooo excited, finally my girl is old enough to do a test.

I will be the one with the little blue cattle dog, and the OH in tow with the camera :laugh:

A little brag from me today - Cole got his HIT from advanced A so now only needs 1 more first place to get his herding championship.

Wait until you see the photos we got today! The Facebook link should make it onto the Yahoo group in next 24hrs. Congrats for today. I'm on such high :)

HIC and a HT pass for the little blue fuzz girl.