Herding Talk Thread

It was the first trial of the year in SA today - A course ducks, tomorrow is sheep. Piper and Jazz were both entered for 1 run each (was a double trial but I was the other judge) and well you could tell they hadn't been on ducks since last August/September.

Piper was in advance and did a so-so cast and fetch, perfect through the y, perfect through the Z, a really lovely approach to the hold exam pen and after there it all fell apart. 1 duck that didnt want to cooperate and 1 duck that actually charged out of the pen and grabbed her by the throat!! We got 4 of them down to start the cross drive but Piper was stressing about the 1 that had laid down (was way too heavy and not fit enough) so didn't listen to the stop and kindly took the 4 back to 1 and it just got messier from there so ew NQd at the cross drive. Ah well.

Jazz, well what do I say about Little Ms Perfect - oh she isn't anymore!! LOL. We find out in a few days if Jazz is pregnant and gee I hope she is because if today's attempt was not hormone related :thumbsup:! She did a better outrun, lift and fetch than Piper, screwed around a bit getting them to the Y and then lost the plot. She is always so nice and wide and today we got a warning for a feather plucking attempt!! After the Y she decided to go and either lay in the shade or try and dive in. Then she would do a slow, half hearted attempt to cover and go and lay back down. I would invite her to work, she would dive in. Argh!! She was exhausted after her run and collapsed in her trolley for a big sleep - also unlike her while herding is on. So by the time she has pups, weans the litter and we get some training in - there goes this years trial season. Ah well. And if the ultrasound shows no pregnancy - well then I have NO idea what was up today, lol.

Jakemon - to enter an instinct certificate you need to first be a member of the controlling body (DogsNSW for you) and have the dog registered with them. Then you need to look in the calendar of events and find an upcoming test and the schedule for it (if Janba sees this she can probably tell you when there is 1) and send an entry in on an official entry form then rock up on the day. If it is like here, there is no herding specific entry form so you just write herding instinct across where the special class section is or something like that. Dogs need to be 6 months old, be able to demonstrate a controlled pause and recall (done on a long line) and show sustained interest in the stock (that is they are interested more than they are not while in there). You have 10 minutes to do it in but most dogs do not need anywhere near this long.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My little girl Rommy had her first attempt at herding yesterday in SA - with sheep.

She passed her basic instinct test. We paid for two entries, so we got to do it twice. She looked pretty funny. Looking at the video that a friend took - she likes to herd in a clockwise direction.

Piper - were you the second judge yesterday afternoon? Thanks for all your help.

my boy passed 2 of his HSA runs on sunday.... has one more for his HSA title, my wee girl passed her HT. was a fun weekend in perth.. hope to see more people get involved in the herding scene. have a few that are just starting to move through there tests!

Well done on passing with Rommy jr_inoz I decided I was totally buggered and it was to warm to be hanging around for much longer so I headed off. Not Piper but yep she would have been the second judge that was judging you yesterday.

I took my two girls herding yesterday. We had an awesome day. Dusty had seen sheep at 4 months of age, she is now 3 and hasn't seem them since. Shae is 5 and as far as I know, has never seen sheep in her life (she is a rescue dog and from the history I know of, she wouldn't have been taken to any kind of dog activity).

Dusty appears to still have the instinct she showed at 4 months of age, but lacks confidence and when paired with a handler who hasn't got a clue (me!) it's all a bit confusing for her. She had two turns in the pen, the first one was more successful because we just let her natural instinct kick in. The second time we were trying to guide her and in true Dusty fashion, she just lost all her confidence and floundered around and wanted constant reassurance. Poor Dusty is a mummy's girl and a bit of a princess. I think she will be fine with a softly, softly approach but it will take time and patience.

Shae, on the other hand, realised this is what she was born to do and went from strength to strength. She watched, listened, picked up on cues, disregarded my incompetent dithering around and simply got on with the job of moving sheep. She was calm, watchful and sensible. She was amazing, and I am now all inspired to keep going with her, get her HIT and then go on to trial with her.

And we were all so exhausted we were in bed by 8pm last night, and now it's just gone 4 am and we're all wide awake! LOL!

he he Gayle....herding is totally adictive. If you can keep going with Dusty you will learn heaps....you learn so much more training a dog that isn't easy.

For those in SA who would like to give herding a try there is a come and try day on 1st May. Piper have you put up details?

My little girl Rommy had her first attempt at herding yesterday in SA - with sheep.

She passed her basic instinct test. We paid for two entries, so we got to do it twice. She looked pretty funny. Looking at the video that a friend took - she likes to herd in a clockwise direction.

Piper - were you the second judge yesterday afternoon? Thanks for all your help.

Yep, that was me. Ok now i have put a face to a name :confused:

Your little girl is most definitely keen and they all usually have a preferred direction. Will we see you out next Sunday? I hope so as I think we can get her going nicely, she was already trying to fetch me to me in the few minutes of her instinct test.

he he Gayle....herding is totally adictive. If you can keep going with Dusty you will learn heaps....you learn so much more training a dog that isn't easy.

For those in SA who would like to give herding a try there is a come and try day on 1st May. Piper have you put up details?

Not on here no, so here they are :confused:

Come and Try day at Dogs SA PArk, Kilburn. Sunday May 1 from 9am.

There will be a chance to find out if you and your dog are interested in this thing called herding or for beginners that have had a litle exposure to have a short training session. Cost is $5 per dog.

Then for those who do not yet have their Instinct Certificate and had dogs that were interested, there will be an Instinct Test in the afternoon, $15 per entry. Entries taken on the day up until 12pm. Test to commence 1pm.

We will definitely have sheep, and I am fairly sure there will be ducks as well.

Further to that there will be a training day at a property near Gawler (those that did the Double K Clinic, it is at the same location) on May 28. We will be having run throughs of B course as well as training for all levels. June will see the first B course trial in SA (and I am SPEWING, Jazz will have pups and miss out. We have waited years for B course and Piper is now too old and Jazz will have pups, typical!!) The cost of the training day needs to be confirmed with committee but I would expect about $10 per dog and a couple of goes each.

ETA: To confirm a spot for either day, please email me at [email protected]

Edited by piper

Yep, that was me. Ok now i have put a face to a name :laugh:

Your little girl is most definitely keen and they all usually have a preferred direction. Will we see you out next Sunday? I hope so as I think we can get her going nicely, she was already trying to fetch me to me in the few minutes of her instinct test.

I would like to come out on Sunday - will know more after the weekend - I may be showing someone's bitch for them on the Sunday, and that would make it difficult to do both. Would like to try Rommy on ducks too. Will there be an instinct test on ducks? Do you have a rough idea about what time?

Rommy is such a telly head - it was nice to see her definitely focused on something! Would be interesting to see how she goes though - when she gets distracted, she doesn't listen to much else. Always interesting in the show ring - never know what she'll do when I take her in the ring.

Hey Gayle - lots of fun isn't it? Glad to hear Shae was such a star! It is so very cool seeing them do well in what they were originally bred to do.

I would like to come out on Sunday - will know more after the weekend - I may be showing someone's bitch for them on the Sunday, and that would make it difficult to do both. Would like to try Rommy on ducks too. Will there be an instinct test on ducks? Do you have a rough idea about what time?

Rommy is such a telly head - it was nice to see her definitely focused on something! Would be interesting to see how she goes though - when she gets distracted, she doesn't listen to much else. Always interesting in the show ring - never know what she'll do when I take her in the ring.

They only have to pass the test levels on 1 stock type, so if they get IC on sheep that is it, they can go in for HT or PT after that on any stock type. But you are still welcome to have a try on ducks :D

Instinct test is to start at 1pm, without knowing how many people are there it is impossible to know how long things will take.

Not on here no, so here they are :)

Come and Try day at Dogs SA PArk, Kilburn. Sunday May 1 from 9am.

There will be a chance to find out if you and your dog are interested in this thing called herding or for beginners that have had a litle exposure to have a short training session. Cost is $5 per dog.

Then for those who do not yet have their Instinct Certificate and had dogs that were interested, there will be an Instinct Test in the afternoon, $15 per entry. Entries taken on the day up until 12pm. Test to commence 1pm.

We will definitely have sheep, and I am fairly sure there will be ducks as well.

Further to that there will be a training day at a property near Gawler (those that did the Double K Clinic, it is at the same location) on May 28. We will be having run throughs of B course as well as training for all levels. June will see the first B course trial in SA (and I am SPEWING, Jazz will have pups and miss out. We have waited years for B course and Piper is now too old and Jazz will have pups, typical!!) The cost of the training day needs to be confirmed with committee but I would expect about $10 per dog and a couple of goes each.

ETA: To confirm a spot for either day, please email me at [email protected]

Dammit, got a agility games trial on May 1st, otherwise would've come and had a look! I'll get into herding one day :D

They only have to pass the test levels on 1 stock type, so if they get IC on sheep that is it, they can go in for HT or PT after that on any stock type. But you are still welcome to have a try on ducks :cheer:

Instinct test is to start at 1pm, without knowing how many people are there it is impossible to know how long things will take.

Might bring Rommy out then. May be able to fit it in.

Well 2 of Links pups got to see sheep for the first time yesterday, both pups showed some beautiful style with Cruz turning straight on, this pup is going to be awsome if he continues very much like his dad Sean. Also got to watch Sean strut his stuff :eek:. Some photos of the little guys an their dad working, both pups are only 4.5 mths old and for me it was a real emotional moment to see them work, i am very very pleased with this breeding.

Whip also got to see sheep yesterday too, he did some lovely stuff but was a little hesitant at how he was was supposed to go about working them, i suspect with more exposure this little boy will start to show some lovely style he already has lovely square flanks.

Rush (Ohutu Link x Ryans Sean)

5653698684_3b51da84f8.jpg

Cruz (Ohutu Link x Ryans Sean)

5653702440_ba432cd173.jpg

Whip (Cole Laird of the Nite of Ohutu x Ulara the Oracle)

5653132469_fd88477ef8.jpg

Sean (Ryans Sean)

5653706720_6b4faafd1f.jpg

5653134709_dbba8ecae3.jpg

5653689810_f30840dd94.jpg

5653118363_35bec636e8.jpg

5653691470_e513727107.jpg

Edited by Tailwag

She definitely showed up Varda, though he couldn't have cared less. :thumbsup:

Oh and I'm so sorry Ness, I didn't realise who you were until I was packing up to go home and Tobster said about you holding Halo and that's when the penny dropped!

:thumbsup: WA I probably should have introduced myself ;) . Just as well you returned to collect her though I was making secret plans to dognap her LOL. Edited by ness

She definitely showed up Varda, though he couldn't have cared less. :thumbsup:

Varda cracked me up - he had 20 or 30 amazing seconds when the switch went on in his brain. His eyes showed it so clearly and I thought here we go he is on now and I was ready to really start working with him. Then it went off again.

Don't give in - some dogs take a few goes for that to become sustained interest. Also the smells in there today were apparently awesome - lots of dogs doing heaps of sniffing and boys trying to out pee each other. The fence near the pens stunk when we were packing up.