Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Superminty and Jules (or any other vic herding people?) how did you go in the Vic State Champs? I hear 1 of the rotties did super super well.

Not trialling here either, but I went along on Sat to watch.

Yes, one of our rotties did exceptionally well, pretty much scooped the pool! He and his handler have come a long way and have only been in the sport for about a year. He is a lovely worker! The rotties are really taking off down here in herding, some lovely working dogs going around.

Entries were a bit down this year, perhaps due to recent clinics with our overseas clinicians means people are holding back on entering trials until their dogs are really ready - well, that's my excuse anyway :laugh: Maybe next year...although I said that last year too...

Edited by superminty

wow, thats impressive a rottie performing so well!!! we need to organise a national herding comp..

Why is it impressive that it was a Rottie? They are a herding breed after all. Sorry but it has been one of my pet peeves that everyone is "OMG a rotti herding". A non herding breed would be an OMG moment. All the Rotties have been nice workers that I have seen.

Sherlot I have been to comps and have pretty much had the only border collie there! Lots of variety of dogs in Victoria doing herding.

wow, thats impressive a rottie performing so well!!! we need to organise a national herding comp..

Why is it impressive that it was a Rottie? They are a herding breed after all. Sorry but it has been one of my pet peeves that everyone is "OMG a rotti herding". A non herding breed would be an OMG moment. All the Rotties have been nice workers that I have seen.

Sherlot I have been to comps and have pretty much had the only border collie there! Lots of variety of dogs in Victoria doing herding.

its impressive as hardly anyone trains them to be herding champs...

and I'm the only one in wa with border collies

I used to be the only one trialling with a kelpie before the kelpie people got wind of ANKC herding :laugh:

Rotties are traditionally a herding breed but it is pretty unusual to see Rotts trialling as they haven't been in the herding game that long, in Vic at least. Weren't they only recently accepted onto the list of acceptable breeds? I've been trialling for around 5 years and this year is the first to have Rotties trialling that I know of.

I think people's perception is that Rotties are predominantly being a guarding breed, so they will do a double take when you mention them doing herding. Most dog people I talk to who aren't into herding (and even some who are) are pretty surprised they are such good workers and so gentle (usually) on their stock. Much more than a lot of BCs and kelpies going around!.

Edited coz I can't spell

Edited by superminty

Shae and I are in our first proper trial on Sunday, the Australian Shepherd RTB one at KCC Park. This is our first step towards a title.....she's doing one run in HT and one in PT just to give her extra time with the sheep. Only one judge, so if she gets a pass in either, we'll be back under another judge as soon as we can to get that first title under her belt.

its impressive as hardly anyone trains them to be herding champs...

and I'm the only one in wa with border collies

We have a few lovely working rotties here in NSW.

The rottie in Vic was the State Herding Champion and won the award from Started A, with some lovely rounds from what I heard, not the ANKC title of herding champion.

Shae and I are in our first proper trial on Sunday, the Australian Shepherd RTB one at KCC Park. This is our first step towards a title.....she's doing one run in HT and one in PT just to give her extra time with the sheep. Only one judge, so if she gets a pass in either, we'll be back under another judge as soon as we can to get that first title under her belt.

Lovely judge you will have too. Sue has an Aussie.

Good luck.

Lovely judge you will have too. Sue has an Aussie.

Good luck.

Yes, she's the president (or something) of the NSW Australian Shepherd Club.

Heheheh, that's my excuse too s.minty and I'm sticking to it.

I'm toying with attempting Bronte's first HSA at the end of August, but I after the clinic with Lynn I now have a much much better handle on what I'm after and how to get it. Now I better recognise when she's really trying and when she's stuffing around, so now if I don't think I can trust her to give it a really good crack I might not even enter that.

Oh the frustration of seeking unattainable perfection.

I'm toying with attempting Bronte's first HSA at the end of August, but I after the clinic with Lynn I now have a much much better handle on what I'm after and how to get it. Now I better recognise when she's really trying and when she's stuffing around, so now if I don't think I can trust her to give it a really good crack I might not even enter that.

I have visions of me failing runs because I said "No, stop" too many times coz he wouldn't get his eyes out when casting! :laugh:

Going to have a go casting in the B course paddock shortly before deciding whether to enter B course sheep at the VHA trial in September. I figure I don't need solid sides for that coz it's all fetching so I won't be stuffing up my training. Only issue is whether he can find the sheep in the big paddock! Might decide the cows next door look like more fun :o

I have visions of me failing runs because I said "No, stop" too many times coz he wouldn't get his eyes out when casting! :laugh:

Going to have a go casting in the B course paddock shortly before deciding whether to enter B course sheep at the VHA trial in September. I figure I don't need solid sides for that coz it's all fetching so I won't be stuffing up my training. Only issue is whether he can find the sheep in the big paddock! Might decide the cows next door look like more fun :o

Classic :rofl: I know, what am I going to do if she doesn't offer a clear yield, I can hardly turn to the judge and say, 'no sorry we have to start again she can do better than that and I won't let her get away with anything less'. It'll be killing me inside.

Are there any training days coming up in SA? I have a coolie who has worked on a dairy farm and has the basics but needs more education, which I do too.

they have just started up a herding club in SA. message piper in the forums for more information about herding in SA

Sorry, it's been a mad couple of weeks here with 9 puppies heading off to new homes so I haven't been online much. We have some training happening tomorrow but not sure if there are still any spots available.

The club has formed but we don't yet have any regular training days as we haven't sorted insurance out yet. Basically the constitution is done, incorporation is done, an interim committee has been decided upon. We are now in the process of opening a bank account and gaining affiliation with DogsSA. It is not a quick process but hopefully we will be in full swing next year.

Most definitely :) I dont think the official membership form is ready yet. We are aiming to allow for direct deposit of membership fees given that the club will be spread all over the state so I think they will be given out once we have account details.

Phew, what a long day!

Had my dog entered in the HT, and my semi new dog entered in HIT.

Tess, my young dog did her 2nd HT pass calmly in 55sec :D

Got move ups with both dogs, so the older bitch, with only her 4th exposure to sheep got a HT pass as well, and the younger bitch got her first PT pass (in 4min 20 sec). I know it's not a speed contest, but I'm so happy as she keeps good control of her sheep, so time isn't wasted.

4 tests for 4 passes. I'm liking this sport! I don't feel I'm pushing the 7 month old, as she just does it so easily, even with a novice handler in me :o

How did everyone else go this weekend?