Herding Talk Thread

We haven't been able to start training again because of the wet. I am expecting Cole to take of where he left off last year :rofl: but who knows. This year except for the BC club point score and maybe the state titles I will only compete B course.

Piper, at the end of last year I started doing things like driving figure 8s round witches hats, driving the 3 sheep course etc and found Cole really improved in his listening to me because he didn't know what I wanted next. I also made sure I gave him a reason for working like penning at the end or driving to rotate stock. I also did this with his shed by penning the sheep I shed off and it really seemed to help his understanding that I wanted "these sheep" and he could ignore the others.

ETA I have not been in the A course except for trials since Aug last year and have been training in the open 3 sheep arena.

Edited by Janba

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Janba, I definitely get the giving them purpose. Once i had drilled inside flanks and she was giving me those I then set up a small race and have been getting her to drive the stock through those - she see,s to have accepted now that they are allowed away from me to go in there and now we are working on "and I dont want them back immediately" - she tends to panic as they come out of the panel and rush through to stop them and in turn brings them back to me. I was pleased on the weekend that I was able to get her to not do that several times. I know with Piper she always hated driving but understood it was ok in set circumstances - she was unfortunately quite pattern trained to A course and understood that once they headed to the Y that was ok. I am doing similar with Jazz (not that patterning the course though) n getting her to work towards understanding it is ok to take them somewhere.

I find even with dogs in the early stages of training (and handlers) giving them little jobs really increases their understanding and team work. We have had the sire of Jazz's pups out a few times, he had never worked (was exposed to sheep as a pup and showed good signs then but never trained or exposed since) until about November and after only a few sessions I had her getting him to put the sheep away and swap them over etc. And you could see a change in him once there were things to do. Reminds me I need to get someone else to do that same thing next time we are out...

I haven't posted my entries off yet.. so I hope they are still open... :confused:

if you try, you'll know what your doing wrong.. if you get a pass out of your 2 attempts or both attempts you'll almost have a title.. worth it I think.. if you completely suck on the first run, we can hold the second to a later trial in the year.. we are not about taking money..

I just checked and it closes on the 9th of April, so we've both still got some time! Now I just have to work out how to order a chequebook....

Thanks for the encouragement, I just spoke to Tom and he agreed so we'll enter both dogs under you and Steph and see what comes of it! :crossfingers: Weez was starting to understand the command for backing off last time we trained on sheep so maybe another session or so and I'll be able to walk around without sheep attached to my butt :o

Isn't it funny the different ideas - if the flanks are not great I would be more inclined to work sheep than ducks. I find ducks need much more precision work and there is far less margin of error before causing them to go off line or split than there is with sheep. I remember someone (and it might have been Steph?) saying to me that working ducks is like having power steering - a tiny movement is all that is needed for good effect so I would want the dog responding well to flank commands and staying off their stock. I definitely find sheep far more forgiving.

As Steph has no hesitation in telling me, it is entirely my fault that he is too close on sheep :laugh: He hasn't learnt the bad behaviour on ducks so he still keeps a really nice distance. He used to have good distance on sheep too, but because he has such good instincts and I am such a noob I have adjusted my handling to fit him rather than insisting he do it right, so we're back to some basics this year :o

• 4 weeks later...

i forgot about this thread - we had a herding clinic on Friday afternoon and if we had more training opportunities I think I could see myself becoming addicted. Although god knows what I am doing - thankfully the dog has some clue :rofl:. Handler needs work though.

i forgot about this thread - we had a herding clinic on Friday afternoon and if we had more training opportunities I think I could see myself becoming addicted. Although god knows what I am doing - thankfully the dog has some clue :rofl:. Handler needs work though.

Was at the clinic on Saturday - and yep - would like more training opportunities. It was a pity last year that Rommy wasn't able to train - now there aren't the opportunities here at all anymore. WOuld be a shame for the work on the weekend to go to waste. Especially as we are just starting out.

Great job on the organisation on the weekend HerdingSA

Is anyone else doing the upcoming Faansie Basson clinics?

I would love to but there isn't one to my knowledge in NSW.

It might be worth travelling for! I was going to fly to the SA one originally, and was actually really looking forward to a weeekend away, but now it's been moved to WA, so no kid-free jaunt for me :(

Fortunately we've had enough interest to get it up and going here, but no-one from the ANKC scene, which surprised me.

I don't know if we'll get ISDS-style trials up and running in WA again, but maybe I'll get to travel for those...

We did the Double K clinic on Sunday, I was sooo proud of my 2 :dancingelephant:, Izzi did some beautiful driving & casts, not all perfect of course :shrug: but life ain't perfect :laugh:. Delta is working much quieter than she was, needs to go wider in her casts but I'm working on that. Today a friend came here & did some more training, I only used Pebbles this time & :whee: she worked like a little beauty too, we both got some good work from our dogs :happydance:. Life's great when your herding, sorry still buzzing from Sunday :cheer:.

Is anyone else doing the upcoming Faansie Basson clinics?

I would love to but there isn't one to my knowledge in NSW.

It might be worth travelling for! I was going to fly to the SA one originally, and was actually really looking forward to a weeekend away, but now it's been moved to WA, so no kid-free jaunt for me :(

Fortunately we've had enough interest to get it up and going here, but no-one from the ANKC scene, which surprised me.

I don't know if we'll get ISDS-style trials up and running in WA again, but maybe I'll get to travel for those...

I don't know how advanced WA is in B course trialing. In NSW you would get the ANKC interest - we have 5 people (counting our ACT ring in) trialing advanced B, the course most like an ISDS, and more starting to train the drive to move up out of started. I love the B course which is very sim ilar to an ISDS course at advanced level.

I don't know how advanced WA is in B course trialing. In NSW you would get the ANKC interest - we have 5 people (counting our ACT ring in) trialing advanced B, the course most like an ISDS, and more starting to train the drive to move up out of started. I love the B course which is very sim ilar to an ISDS course at advanced level.

ANKC herding in WA is pretty small, I only know of 2-3 people that are up to the level of training driving. We have a lot of rural over here, so most ppl would be doing the working dog trials I'd imagine.

--

We had our first trial of the year today :) Our kelps got 3 passes out of 4 entries in started A, The foxdog got HIT on sheep & Weez got HIT on ducks (hooray for small trials! :laugh: ) Unfortunately Weez failed on sheep at the pen, but it was a good day all around and we got some experience. :thanks: to Sherlot for the feedback & encouragement :)

Edited by Weasels

We had our first trial of the year today :) Our kelps got 3 passes out of 4 entries in started A, The foxdog got HIT on sheep & Weez got HIT on ducks (hooray for small trials! :laugh: ) Unfortunately Weez failed on sheep at the pen, but it was a good day all around and we got some experience. :thanks: to Sherlot for the feedback & encouragement :)

If Weez is trialling Started A on sheep why did you do a HIT on ducks? Just curious.