Herding Talk Thread

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Janba :) I won't lie, our two were 50% of the dogs entered :laugh: - but I wasn't sure if either were going to pass on sheep so it was a happy surprise that the foxdog did :)

You own have 50% of the dogs entered and still not win HIT .

ANKC herding in WA is pretty small, I only know of 2-3 people that are up to the level of training driving. We have a lot of rural over here, so most ppl would be doing the working dog trials I'd imagine.

A lot of our ANKC herders also do 3 sheep trials,utility trials and yard dog trials. I am the only one of our advanced people who hasn't got my act together to do an official 3 sheep trial though I have done unofficial ones and had a go at unofficial yard dog trials, which I really enjoy despite not having a dog really suited to yard work.

A lot of our ANKC herders also do 3 sheep trials,utility trials and yard dog trials. I am the only one of our advanced people who hasn't got my act together to do an official 3 sheep trial though I have done unofficial ones and had a go at unofficial yard dog trials, which I really enjoy despite not having a dog really suited to yard work.

I'm not sure we even have any advanced dogs competing at the moment. We only had 1 intermediate run this morning & the rest were started or tests. I'm not aware of any crossover between ANKC & yard/ 3-sheep here either :shrug:

I'm not sure we even have any advanced dogs competing at the moment. We only had 1 intermediate run this morning & the rest were started or tests. I'm not aware of any crossover between ANKC & yard/ 3-sheep here either :shrug:

We do run the B course here in WA only myself and Steph are trained to run on it.. but hopefully more will be attempting the B course started towards teh end of 2012.

we dont have any dogs yet at advance level.. mostly started with a scattered few intermediate dogs.. we'll get there soon... I'm scared of the competition coming up behind me..

nice work today on ducks too weasels.. you'll get there with sheep :)

We had our first trial of the year today :) Our kelps got 3 passes out of 4 entries in started A, The foxdog got HIT on sheep & Weez got HIT on ducks (hooray for small trials! :laugh: ) Unfortunately Weez failed on sheep at the pen, but it was a good day all around and we got some experience. :thanks: to Sherlot for the feedback & encouragement :)

Yay, congrats :thumbsup:

I don't know how advanced WA is in B course trialing. In NSW you would get the ANKC interest - we have 5 people (counting our ACT ring in) trialing advanced B, the course most like an ISDS, and more starting to train the drive to move up out of started. I love the B course which is very sim ilar to an ISDS course at advanced level.

Must be something like that. I think in Q'land there was enough interest for a couple of Faansie Basson schools, lots from ANKC people. I was surprised not to have any ANKC interest in WA even from fence sitters. It's such a great opportunity to see/work with someone with his experience and record, considering the costs of getting people to Australia. I'm really grateful to the organisers.

Piper wrote:

Is there any info on these ISDS clinics anywhere? I was chatting with someone today who is interested as well. We think there would be 4 or 5 of us keen to go in SA.

Aw, that's a pity! The original schedule had SA instead of WA- I was hugely excited, was going to get a weekend away to attend, and it was being held right where my dad grew up so it would have been a nice visit back for me, beautiful area too. But they didn't fill the places so had to cancel :( , and so he's coming to WA instead. So now instead of the kid-free weekend away, I get to try to clean enough of the junk out of our house to fit people in, and try to find enough sheep/room to hold the clinic at our place :eek: You're welcome to come to WA!

There's a bit of info on Faansie's website:

here

• 2 weeks later...

There is no regular training down here right now :( Cass who ran training in the hills moved to tasmania a few months ago. We had a clinic 3 weeks ago and there is a come and try day in June. I am not on the herding dog club committee so not sure what else they have planned. I am fairly sure they were trying to get some training days planned.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going nuts, well nutser :laugh:, withdrawal symptoms are getting to me & don't think I can handle not trialing much longer. Itching to get Izzi out for her first intermediate run & try Delta, in HS, at a trial now she's more calm & controlled, she use to be WOOHOO lets do this. Did a cast with Delta last week, 150mtr, she did the distance easy would have gone 2km buuut she reverted back to her WOOHOO self. Izzi did our course while I stood at the centre post, would have got pinged for off line a lot but there aren't bridges & blind corners in trials so still very happy with her. Hell I'm glowing about all of them :thumbsup:. Now just need to start planning a trip back to the double K for some more lessons, thinking about the end of June, but not sure how bad the weather gets then. Me & a friend are getting together to train when she gets back, hanging out for that as well,:cry: times just dragging I'm going for a cino & chocolate to console myself :D.

RJ there have been a few things in the pipeline - hopefully Piper will see this and email you. Something came through re a sheep day and a duck day last night but with my youngster out of action I don't know the specifics.

Hi All,

I started a new thread on the main Dog Sports forum page, but I thought I would re-post this here....

The new Australian Canine Sports & Training Centre in Box Hill, NSW, has organized a FANTASTIC workshop for anyone who owns a herding breed. We will be hosting a 2 day hands-on clinic with Greg Prince, who is one of Australia's most experienced and titled sheepdog triallers. The clinic will be held on Saturday June 16th and Sunday June 17th, and there is a detailed info sheet attached to my original post on the main Dog Sports forum page.

No previous herding experience is necessary for either handler or dog, but if the dog shows even the slightest bit of instinct, they will excel in leaps and bounds over the 2 days. If you do not currently own a dog that would be suitable for the workshop, but you are still interested in attending this info-packed weekend, Greg Prince will be providing about 12 dogs at different levels of training that you can utilize.

So, if you are keen, or you have any further questions, please email David Graham ([email protected]).

Cheers,

Kelly

P.S. There are only 3 spots left!!!

Edited by DockDogs Sydney

Please let me know if there are any training events or get togethers where I can bring my coolie, he's keen to get back to training :laugh:

There are a couple of training days planned. PM me your email address and i will forward you the details.

There is no regular training down here right now :( Cass who ran training in the hills moved to tasmania a few months ago. We had a clinic 3 weeks ago and there is a come and try day in June. I am not on the herding dog club committee so not sure what else they have planned. I am fairly sure they were trying to get some training days planned.

I get jealous of you guys that have access to stock and can train your own dogs. There is no point really in entering tests or trials here - there will have been only one opportunity for a lesson at a come and try day (so a 10 minute lesson) between the last trial and the next one. No point. It is a pity.