Vet Or Wait It Out?

GoldenGirl85

I just got home from agility, put the dogs in the yard, came inside and got their dinner ready and went back out to them, they were loose for about 5 mins. When I came back out with the food Tess was all frothy at the mouth, thinking maybe she got a cane toad I brought her inside and started rubbing her gums with a wet towel, she wouldnt let me open her mouth and was biting down quite hard if I tried to feel for anything.

Now she is fully alert (she was never out of it), she is drooling a little but is no longer frothing, she is letting me open her mouth, and I cant see anything in there but she wont let me have a good look, she is opening and closing her mouth a lot which is making me think maybe she got an ant bite in her mouth or something along those lines

What makes you decide when they need to go to the vet straight away (meaning emergency centre at this time of the night) or wait and see how they go?

We were always told to hose their mouth out if the dogs got a toad (my old family dog caught dozens of them!). If she is alert and happy, I'd keep an eye on her but if she changes at all, I'd go straight to the vet. How far away from the vet are you?

Could it be a snake bite?

I dont think so, she is fine now...looking for her dinner actually

Im reluctant to feel her, she is holding her stomach tight as though its aching but otherwise she is her old self

Edited by GoldenGirl85

We were always told to hose their mouth out if the dogs got a toad (my old family dog caught dozens of them!). If she is alert and happy, I'd keep an eye on her but if she changes at all, I'd go straight to the vet. How far away from the vet are you?

Im about a 5-10 minute drive, depends on the traffic lights

Ive spoken to a couple of different vets about cane toads who have said to rub their gums with a wet towel as hosing their mouth can make them swallow the poison

Can you call the Vet at all to see what they say?

No, unfortunately I dont have mobile service here and there is no landline

I really think she is fine, Im keeping her inside and watching her, this is more about what makes you decide what to do if its you in the situation, how 'bad' do they have to be before you decide its worthy of vet treatment

Jaquilee I was going to rush her down when she was frothing but that stopped very quickly

I really think she is fine, Im keeping her inside and watching her, this is more about what makes you decide what to do if its you in the situation, how 'bad' do they have to be before you decide its worthy of vet treatment

Jaquilee I was going to rush her down when she was frothing but that stopped very quickly

I hope shes ok :) *healthy vibes being sent your way*

NO, not a symptom of snake bite at all.

At the end of the day only YOU can make the decision if you need to go to the vet or not.

Everyone else (as good intensions as they have, bless) are only speculating.

Only YOU can see your dog and can determine how uncomfortable she is and how worried you are.

I am sure you will make the right decision, and the vet isn't far away, so that's a bonus.

I hope she's well this morning for you :)

I hope everything is ok.

To answer your Question about how bad does it have to be, I have taken our dogs to the vet on all occassions when something was out of the ordinary, once Buster was out of site for about a minute came back when called went to jump onto a low window ledge to bark at a bird and fell off, i sensed something was wrong.

I said to my husband i think he's been bitten by a snake, no sooner had i said it that he sat in his funny little sit without letting his bum touch the ground and i said we are going to the vet asap because he wouldn't normally sit if birds were flying around.

As we were 25 minutes away from the vet at that stage i thought well if i get there and he's ok all i've wasted is petrol.

He had been bitten by a snake and judging by his symptons the vet said a Brown.

I think sometimes i may overreact, but i have only every wasted one trip to the Vet, when Buster caught a Brown and we didn't see any signs but took him just in case, he hadn't been bitten but it made for an interesting New Years eve. :)

And yes Buster is the one who goes the most, between snakes and grass seeds the Vet loves us ( Thank god we don't have Cade Toads here YET! )

At the end of the day only YOU can make the decision if you need to go to the vet or not.

Only YOU can see your dog and can determine how uncomfortable she is and how worried you are.

I am sure you will make the right decision, and the vet isn't far away, so that's a bonus.

I hope she's well this morning for you :)

I mentioned snake bite as Buster had frothy clear/yellow foam around his mouth when i found him after his last brown bite, it would have been sick, i was concerned that GoldenGirl85 hadn't seen if she had been sick.

Tess is fine, Im the one who had to call in sick this morning I was getting horrible dizzy spells, even lying down...still not feeling great but Im better after a load of sleep

When my moron (heeler X) gets a toad he foams for a while, then drools and does the 'chewing' thing where he just opens and closes his mouth. But he gets hosed until he pukes.

wow...maybe she did lick a toad, is he reluctant to let you open his mouth too?

I hope she's well this morning for you :laugh:

I mentioned snake bite as Buster had frothy clear/yellow foam around his mouth when i found him after his last brown bite, it would have been sick, i was concerned that GoldenGirl85 hadn't seen if she had been sick.

There are a lot of snakes in the area so its very possible she had come across one, it was a very good idea to mention it, my main concern was toads so I hadnt even thought of snakes

Tess is fine, Im the one who had to call in sick this morning I was getting horrible dizzy spells, even lying down...still not feeling great but Im better after a load of sleep
When my moron (heeler X) gets a toad he foams for a while, then drools and does the 'chewing' thing where he just opens and closes his mouth. But he gets hosed until he pukes.

He hates us opening his mouth at the best of times, so it takes two of us after he's got a toad. This is a dog who hunts them out purely to lick or chomp them. Once he's got his 'hit' he's done with it and it hops off. He can be out of sight for the time it takes to put a bag of rubbish in a wheely bin and when you look he's drooling and spaced out. Addict.

He hates us opening his mouth at the best of times, so it takes two of us after he's got a toad. This is a dog who hunts them out purely to lick or chomp them. Once he's got his 'hit' he's done with it and it hops off. He can be out of sight for the time it takes to put a bag of rubbish in a wheely bin and when you look he's drooling and spaced out. Addict.

Wow, sounds just like Tess last night...hope she doesnt develop addiction lmao

I always hose Kaisie's mouth if she's been toading.

She's sort of trained to stand and let me do it now.

The trick is to hose across or slighltly forward towards the front of the mouth, so that one is not forcing water back down the throat.

When we get our act together and the hose at the right speed, I hose and she spits it out as we go. We make a good team. :thumbsup:

It does tend to serve as aversion therapy as she doesn't like me doing it.