Ideas For Agility Games Needed

Musical chairs was popular at our club last year :D Dogs had to stay a certain distance from the chairs that handlers got in when the music stopped (behind a line? can't remember) and if your dog moved you had to go and put it back, and someone else could take your seat.

Egg and spoon race

relay race where you have to go around poles

we also did a speed circle agility relay race where the handler had to dress up as santa first :confused: the changeovers were interesting :)

Trying to think what we used to do at obedience christmas parties.

I know there was one game where you had to race with your dog about 20m put a sock on each of their feet, then walk them back to the starting line. If a sock fell off you had to stop, put it back on and then continue. I remember being disqualified for taking a liberal interpretation of the rule and tying the socks in knots to Charlie's feet LOL

Another one we used to play was blind trialling. So you were blindfolded but had to treat it like an obedience trial and follow the instructions of the judge. Doesn't really help the agility folk though (we had a seperate party for agility).

Lia if it was a PICSI I remember a musical chairs game there one year. You had the chairs in the middle and a ring of witches hats about 2m away from the chairs. While the music played you walked around the outside of the cones and when it stopped you had to put your dogs alongside a cone in either a sit/drop/stand whatever they called out and the dog had to remain in a stay while you found a chair. If the dog moved you were out.

One year we had a fancy dress parade.

We also did a restrained recall race my first year of obedience but I didn't enter as it wasn't a situation I wanted to put Cody into as he had fear aggression issues. It would really depend on the dogs there as to whether or not you did something like that, and I would limit the number of dogs in each heat.

Another thing people like is just to give there dogs a go at something different. Set out some jumps, tunnels etc and let the obedience people have a go. Maybe give a demonstration of dogs having races through weave poles etc. At agility xmas parties we used to get out the flyball gear just so people could have a go at something different (the club had the gear but didnt actually do flyball anymore).

I go to agility but we played O's and X's using dogs in a stay in the squares. Surprising how many dogs moved espically as new dogs were placed and some dogs would wander off. If your dog moved I think the space was free to the other team.

Played a memory game in agility where the course was laid out. The first dog did one obstacle. The second dog did that one plus added one. The next dog did those two and added one. Bit like memory with dogs!

We set up jumps in a circle and just had a race round them. And we also had a race where dogs were restrained until owner called them over a distance. The dogs were timed and fastest dog won.

have fun!

And we also had a race where dogs were restrained until owner called them over a distance. The dogs were timed and fastest dog won.

We do this at our wind up, as well as:

A course with just tunnels

36 or 48 weaves in a row timed

A relay, two teams at a time, have to go over two jumps then wrap a third and back again

There are the usual agility games eg

snooker and gamblers.

I fail at gamblers cos I can't get my dog to run the obstacles while I'm on this side of the tape and she's on the other side. We can currently do a tunnel and one jump after but no more.

There is an English game that involves a dog taking a judge assigned toy and dropping it as close as possible to a 100 pound note. The catch is that the owner has to keep their butt on a seat over there at the side, and if they lift their butt off the seat, they lose. And I think there is a time limit. It was described in detail on the dog star daily site.

Of course my team would be crap at that but it would show off the more advanced teams.

I think lead out would be a fun game for agility. We'd have a fair go at that. And the "go on" where the dog can jump four obstacles to the finish - with or without the owner.

Some great ideas here.

At demos, we'll have races just involving maybe jumps, tunnels and weavers.

At our club break up we set up a little challenge between the flyballers and agility people - I think the flyballers have a box and agility a tunnel at the end.

At the club I use to attend we did the regular kinda games like put a certain number of dog biscuits in a bowl of water (each dog had their own bowl) and first one to eat all their biscuits won except in my case, my dog was disqualified for getting the sh!ts and flipping the bowl over with his foot so that he could just eat them off the ground - now that is just intelligent to me - they were just jealous that their dogs didn't think of it :laugh:

Some great ideas here.

At demos, we'll have races just involving maybe jumps, tunnels and weavers.

At our club break up we set up a little challenge between the flyballers and agility people - I think the flyballers have a box and agility a tunnel at the end.

What about dogs that do both?

I know - just smart enough to need a handicap!:laugh:

Seriously - at our club we set up three different 'courses' of about 6 or 8 obstacles - basically out and back.

We have 3 dogs of 3 different experience levels running a the same time - fastest dog wins.

The other thing we do is set up the same course (it might be jump, jump, jump, tunnel in a U shap, then jump jump jump back) and run the same 3 dogs. Experienced dogs handlers are not allowed past the start line. Intermediate dogs handlers are allowed past the start line, but only on one side of the course, Novice dogs handlers can do whatever they like.

Both make for heaps of fun and are quite social with everyone standing around cheering for the various dogs. (littlies get the biggest cheers and everyone loves to see the advanced dogs making mistakes.)