Car Barriers To Keep Dogs In Back

spottychick

I brought similar barriers ... and found them a complete waste of money. I just couldn't get it tight enough that it couldn't be pushed out of place.

I was looking at Walky Barrier which secures onto the .headrest

THanks, they look good Tilly. Fairly costly but still a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have extendable headrests on the back seats. My car is a bit old LOL So it doesnt have stuff like that. :)

ETA The "pushing out of place" is what I'm afraid of too.

Edited by spottychick

I have the second one that you listed, and it works well for my whippets and greyhound. I have used it for about 3 years and never had a problem.

Just make sure that it is fitted very firmly.

Trish

Darn it. I just measured the back of the car and it's only 80 cm high so it wouldnt fit the second one by the looks of things.

My friends labs all wear harnesses in the back which she attaches to a restraint point on the floor...very effective and if you do get in an accident will keep the dogs in the car rather than smashing through a window/barrier...

hmmmm just having a look at cargo barriers. They seem to require drilling holes in the car. Not real keen on that idea....

If you have a wagon it may be fitted out for a cargo barrier. Have a good look on the roof behind the rear seats and on the cargo floor.

What sort of wagon is it? Bear in mind that the latest wagons with side curtain airbags cannot have a metal barrier installed as it interferes with their deployment. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

hmmmm just having a look at cargo barriers. They seem to require drilling holes in the car. Not real keen on that idea....

If you have a wagon it may be fitted out for a cargo barrier. Have a good look on the roof behind the rear seats and on the cargo floor.

What sort of wagon is it? Bear in mind that the latest wagons with side curtain airbags cannot have a metal barrier installed as it interferes with their deployment. :clap:

It's a mitsubishi station wagon (magna) dating from somewhere in the 90s ;)

Pretty old but in good nick. I cant see anything that looks like cargo barrier fitouts or whatever - but maybe I dont know what to look for or am looking in the wrong place :)

What sort of wagon is it? Bear in mind that the latest wagons with side curtain airbags cannot have a metal barrier installed as it interferes with their deployment. :clap:

It's a mitsubishi station wagon (magna) dating from somewhere in the 90s ;)

Pretty old but in good nick. I cant see anything that looks like cargo barrier fitouts or whatever - but maybe I dont know what to look for or am looking in the wrong place :)

OK - it should have the fittings. Look up at the spots above the windows on the side of the car just behind the rear seat headrests. In the roof fabric can you see some round plastic "buttons"? The centre part comes out and the cargo barrier fits in there and into grooves in strips of metal on the cargo floor of the car.

I'm on my second Magna wagon and my parents are on their third. All had the fittings. Once you know how, it only takes a couple of minutes to put the barrier in or take it out. I do it all the time. ;)

Try a wreckers or Ebay for a second hand metal barrier for a Magna. Milford made good ones. Incidentally, Magnas have a second set of "buttons" behind the front seats and extender bars on the barrier allow it to be fitted behind them. Avoid the barriers with the perspex centre part - I think they restrict airflow too much and get covered in dog nose wipes anyway.

Edited by poodlefan