The "savagery" Of The Siblings!

LizT

I know it's all part of their social development but is there a time when one should "break it up"??

I've noticed mum break it up a few times when they have all been out on the lawn but indoors they are penned and she can't get to them.

They are 7 weeks old and it's the most viciousness I think I will ever see Cavaliers display. It's very interesting.

I don't believe it's just 'play'. I think it's far more significant than that. Sometimes it's one on one. Sometimes two will gang up on one. At times one will be trying to sleep and another is mercilessly biting her ear and she lays there half asleep crying. It distressed my OH and my 10 year old daughter and I've often done some kind of distraction to intervene. It's not always dominated by any particular one or size pup either. The littlest is very fiesty and had one of the regular aggressors on her back yesterday by the throat, growling savagly.

My daughter asked "Why do they fight"? My OH said "Because they are family"! :)

And then at times they are all cuddled up licking each others faces and piled up in a 'puppy pile' sleeping. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths then.

So is there a 'limit' and should I/do I draw a line?

Little buggers aren't they. 2 of my girls have squabbled from week 3 but are getting ok now.

When mine start & a squeal is heard & its getting rough I clap my hands, which gets their attention, & say ah ah enough.

Usually works. Maybe start giving them a little time apart now in turns each.

I know it's all part of their social development but is there a time when one should "break it up"??

I've noticed mum break it up a few times when they have all been out on the lawn but indoors they are penned and she can't get to them.

They are 7 weeks old and it's the most viciousness I think I will ever see Cavaliers display. It's very interesting.

I don't believe it's just 'play'. I think it's far more significant than that. Sometimes it's one on one. Sometimes two will gang up on one. At times one will be trying to sleep and another is mercilessly biting her ear and she lays there half asleep crying. It distressed my OH and my 10 year old daughter and I've often done some kind of distraction to intervene. It's not always dominated by any particular one or size pup either. The littlest is very fiesty and had one of the regular aggressors on her back yesterday by the throat, growling savagly.

My daughter asked "Why do they fight"? My OH said "Because they are family"! :)

And then at times they are all cuddled up licking each others faces and piled up in a 'puppy pile' sleeping. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths then.

So is there a 'limit' and should I/do I draw a line?

I wouldn't worry too much even though it is upsetting to hear them act this way. We have had this happen with some of our Pug litters and other times we have never seen it. I think by this age they love some individual attention and separating them for short amounts of time does not harm them. They really are like a group of toddlers who start to hit and scream when they become overwhelmed with the crowd or can't get their own way.

Edited by Puglodge

You have not heard ANYTHING unless you've heard a litter of Stafford puppies "at it".

A few years ago, I had a litter of 5 and a friend who has been breeding Rough Collies for many, many years visited. We were trying to watch TV and the Piranhas woke up and started "playing". Poor Kerry was MOST concerned and kept asking "is that normal?" She'd never heard anything like it in her entire breeding career! :laugh:

It's all part of sorting out the order within the "pack" and yes, they can get pretty darned scary and very nasty on occasions. Most of the time it will fizzle out peacefully, occasionally there will be "tears" and THEN it will fizzle out.

It can be very interesting to watch though and can be a really valuable lesson for the hoomans in pack dynamics. You'll soon see who the bossy, dominant puppies are and these will be the puppies that need to be placed in homes where they can be appreciated. It's all part of learning how to interpret the temperaments of puppies within your lines and then being able to place them accordingly.

Totally agree, it's all part of learning experience. :o

My last litter we had one girl who was the fighter and i felt sorry for the other siblings as she was a energized bunny and never slepted attacking the pups who where trying to get a bit of shut eye. And boy could she bite, ears and tails were her forte. Always knew who started the fight and how it would end, she was the boss regardless that she was 2nd smallest in the litter .

Still today 5 months on she still is full of spirt, that live wire engerized bunny is still in her though. Thankfully placed in a pet home with owners who are home 24/7 and with older cavalier that keep her in lined and she isn't as vigerous in her play and learning better manners (slowly). The other pups are as plasid and docile natured as their mother.

I've had a few litters of Cav pups. Some litters play and co-operate, and a nice sort of hum comes from the pups. Other litters fight and squabble and someone is always pulling someone else around by the ear, or the tail, and the pullee is screaming the place down.

The house before this one was a genuine colonial, with a huge covered and screened verandah right near my bedroom. I remember one litter which kept me awake half the night bashing each other up and screaming.

I will pick up either basher or bashee if there is serious screaming. And I have noticed that there is an appreciable difference between litters. My first stud dog tended to throw more bashers than the next stud dog, but I am happy to tell you that they all grew into normal, well loved cavaliers.

You have not heard ANYTHING unless you've heard a litter of Stafford puppies "at it".

A few years ago, I had a litter of 5 and a friend who has been breeding Rough Collies for many, many years visited. We were trying to watch TV and the Piranhas woke up and started "playing". Poor Kerry was MOST concerned and kept asking "is that normal?" She'd never heard anything like it in her entire breeding career! :D

It's all part of sorting out the order within the "pack" and yes, they can get pretty darned scary and very nasty on occasions. Most of the time it will fizzle out peacefully, occasionally there will be "tears" and THEN it will fizzle out.

It can be very interesting to watch though and can be a really valuable lesson for the hoomans in pack dynamics. You'll soon see who the bossy, dominant puppies are and these will be the puppies that need to be placed in homes where they can be appreciated. It's all part of learning how to interpret the temperaments of puppies within your lines and then being able to place them accordingly.

:cheer::rofl: When it got 'really loud and rough" I said "Hey, you girls got some Staffy in you!" :eek:

I can only imagine what 'real' Staffys do! :rofl:

Wasn't us....we're angels! :eek:

post-864-1288566453_thumb.jpg

American Cocker puppy meets Staffordshire Bull Terrorists....they look harmless enough...all cute and quiet in their pen!

post-864-1288566361_thumb.jpg

OMG.....I've woken them up......they move......they chase!!

post-864-1288566311_thumb.jpg

Mummmmmmmyyyyy!! I don't wanna play any more.....they're mean!!!

post-864-1288566384_thumb.jpg

I yell "Oiii break it up". :love::) ;) :hug:

That's the only intervention I do. All learning.

:D :) That's exactly what OH does!!

hehe - all dogs understand the "Oiii" command from an early age! I have sometimes had one particular puppy in the litter who wants to dominate everyone. Usually I let it run it's course, but will intervene if the play gets tooo rough - especially if, as in the last litter, there is one puppy much smaller than the others & she's being picked on.

you get some real little savages!! I can't stand by and let them be really rough so pick the offender up and tell them to 'play nicely', then put them back down away from the target, only to watch them go straight back to where they left off!!!

IMG_1384.jpg

Edited by Bokezu

My first litter of whippets were very savage and those little milk teeth are like razors. I had just 2 fighting and I thought like some here, oh let them sort it out. After about 10 minutes they were still at it and I tried to stop them. I turned the hose on them full bore and they were oblivious to it, if anything I think it helped them by cooling them a bit. I eventually grabbed one and picked her up and the other was still hanging in mid air from her neck. I dropped them hoping to break the hold to no avail. Finally I grabbed each one by the skin on their backs and picked them both up. For a while they continued fighting, I dont think they realised they were dangling. Another time I had 2 gang up on one and gash her throat open. I could see her jugular vein pulsing. I have no doubt if I hadn't stopped them one could've been killed. I sold one of the pups and intended to keep the other 2 but at about 14 months I was forced to rehome one. They see each other now and are fine.

Wow, there are some tuff little buggers aren't there!

I have to say there are some breeds that I expect to see 'fighting' as often the adults will scrap a bit but I have found it surprising in Cavaliers as they seem to get on even with total strangers. The Cavaliers biggest problem is in thinking that every dog they meet is going to be friendly. Often they get hurt because they are not 'wary' enough of stranger dogs. But the bubbbas are 'wild things'. heheheheh

Edited by LizT