Best State For Showing Dogs?

shazlm64

I'm fairly new to DOL so not sure if this has been looked at before. But have been thinking if I was to move which State would have the best show scene? Not just in terms of number of shows and size of entries, but access to experienced local, interstate and international judges, show facilities and training and how welcome are newcomers. What do you think?

In WA I have been blown away by our wonderful canine centre, nearly all the shows are held there which is within 40 mins drive for me. The undercover area is fantastic during winter especially for those of us with long coated breeds. The grounds are beautiful, smooth lawns and great shade around the perimeter and lots of parking. Not as many shows as I would like to see but people tell me that the entries ( ave. 450-700's) have really dropped in recent years. There are not shows every weekend and I do not think there is ever a choice as in other states. If you don't live in Perth you would have many long hours of travel. Most shows I have been to this year have had interstate judges, with international judges being appointed to the bigger events. As for welcoming newcomers in my opinion it's been great. Have met some really lovely people from a variety of rings and have found lots of support from people both within my breed and out. Well, thats just my opinion as a newbie, would love to hear from others.

I'd have to argue for the ACT or surrounding areas of NSW.

Close enough to Eskine Park to day run for events, heaps of aggie shows within day range and plenty of two to three day shows if you want to stay away PLUS all the local shows.

I average two show weekends a month and I could do more quite easily if I chose to.

The Newcastle area of NSW also seems to have a fair bit locally or close by.

For facilities, I'm told that WA blows the socks off the competition.

But for sheer numbers of shows, I'd have to say NSW. You can travel in any of 5 or 6 directions on any one weekend and find a show of some kind.

Yep

I love our facilities.

Last year I travelled to Vic for shows, and I enjoyed the shows there, I went for the Westie show, and they also had 2 x Terrier shows on the same weekend (and there were also alot of single breed shows too). They had a great number of entries, and good selection of judges.

I have heard NSW is great for variety of shows...

It really depends if you are travelling for All Breeds or Single Breed/Group shows.

haven't shown else where but i love our wa grounds and have met and made some lovely friends in both my breed and other rings and sure if i was ever stuck i would have a handler no worrie. People seem to be willing to step in and help out and offer advice. great grounds too :p

I just had someone from WA say to me on Saturday night, that our VIC facilities are better the WA ones.

Not having seen the WA ones i have no idea.

VIC would have to have the largest entries at shows on average.

I like the varriety of shows here in NSW. From where I live I could hit a show in any direction most weekends, and our local shows are great.

I'm not sure about facilities, as I havent ventured out of NSW yet. I do love some of our country shows thou, such an awesome weekend away.

I just had someone from WA say to me on Saturday night, that our VIC facilities are better the WA ones.

VIC would have to have the largest entries at shows on average.

We have an undercover area, which can get a little crammed at the larger shows, but still suffices. We also have a large outdoor arena for shows and another large arena which is utilised for ob/agility

I liked the fact that the Vic undercover area is enclosed, so actually protects you from the weather. I also liked their offlead excercise yards.

Its a much for a muchness.

We have new off lead area now, it's around half the size of the biggest one.

Can't wait until they get lights on the front showing area.

The smaller showing/training area has lights, but a bigger area with lights would be better.

Disagree if you're talking show facilities at KCC and WA Canine. The Vic grounds are more extensive, but the WA facilities are in better condition - at least from what I recall when I was there a couple of years ago. Haven't been to Bulla so can't comment there, maybe they mean Bulla as I understand it has artificial turf rather than concrete?

I was totally impressed with the WA dog show/training/obedience etc world.....I've not seen anything like it in my travels and I've been to a lot of places! To see all the clubs working in conjunction with each other for certain events is awesome!

You are very fortunate over there to have this facility and group of people!

After reading these replies I'm quite keen to show in some of the other states, especially Vic if its facilities can match us here in WA. What about Tasmania it's so beautiful down there. Any Tasmanians out there who would like to comment on their show scene?

Tasmania is nice to visit but we don't have great dog show facilities.

Our Hobart base is at the showgrounds which we are leasing from the RAS. We have good ring facilities outdoors with one permanent ring and room for two other outside rings. We have benching facilities that are functional but very spartan. There are canteen facilities but due to health regulations, these are only able to be used for basic canteen provisions so most clubs now engage separate food caravans to provide catering. We also have an indoor area that is completely enclosed and large enough for 3 rings for inclement weather.

That's pretty much it.

Other shows are held down south at council grounds at Pontville (shared by horse people). There are nice permanent rings set up with parking on three sides and room for gazebos and tents. There was a canteen/office area which was burned to the ground. Work is commencing soon on a replacement. There is a large shed nearby that is occasionally used during inclement weather but it isn't big enough for an entire show.

Huon Showgrounds is another nice venue.....or it is now but not so sure what it will be like when the beautiful shady trees are removed. There are three lovely, landscaped permanent rings as well as a small canteen and secretary's office there but no provision for inclement weather.

I've not shown at Campbelltown yet, but it is just a showgrounds at this point in time, no actual dog show facilities as such.

Churchill Park in Launceston is part of a sporting complex.

Haven't been to Devonport for a long time, there was never much there by way of dog show facilities.

Ulverstone is another I haven't been to. flatchat can probably fill more in here, Ulverstone is I believe her club! There used to be a shed for benching in as well as the sheep pens that were well utilised as kind of separate "apartments" and quite useful for people with small children.

Burnie has a couple of permanent rings and a large shed for benching. I do remember one show some years ago when the weather was particularly bad and the benches were pushed aside and one small ring was operating inside the shed. That was fun.....NOT!!!!

Oh and Longford Showground has a shed and room for a few rings.

So pretty much not a lot of dog facilities for show purposes.

But if you want to talk about scenery.....well.....that's an entirely different thing altogether and we would rival just about any other place in Australia for beauty! :rofl:

WA facilities by a mile and NSW for the variety and centralness to Vic and QLD. WA and Tas and to a lesser extent SA, if someone in your breed has a dog or dogs that dominate there is no escaping - 1 show on any given weekend. Whereas in NSW and Vic you can go show elsewhere if you choose, some enter both options and see who is entered - we saw in NSW someone turn up look who was there and get in there car and go to the other show !! lol

Best grounds in Tassie - IMO Ulverstone once the toilets get a revamp and love the after Royal Show at New Norfolk.

Justine

Edited by Staffordz