Dylan's Tongue Is Cut

Ahhhhh Look I just did something so horribly stupid I cant believe I did it. I was getting Dylan used to the nail clipper things and accidentally squeezed the bloody thing without knowing he was going to lick it and cut through his tongue!!!!

I feel like the stupidest cruelest person alive. Poor little guy.

Anyway - all the vets are closed atm and I want to know if there's anything I can do to help him until tomorrow,

Do tongues heal?? Are there any natural remedies that will work on a tongue (tricky I know)

Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated.

Poor little dude! I cant believe I did that to him!

Edited by spottychick

Hi rysup. Thanks - I wasn't sure about whether it would heal! It's not bleeding a lot. And he seems perfectly fine - still looking for food etc. The vets were all closed for a public holiday and the only one who did answer said he'll need stitches but it will never heal properly and he'll have a split tongue forever.

Sorry - I'm babbling a little. I just feel terrible.

ETA Immediately after it happened I got him to lick a little pawpaw ointment (the dogs love that stuff so they were all in there wondering why Dylan got it all hahahaha) Probably didnt make a blind bit of difference but it made me feel sightly less evil

Edited by spottychick

worrying about nothing?

*nods*

not meaning to sound flippant :p Our workers often end up with bloody tongues from being thumped by sheep etc ..none have ever caused more than a very temporary bit of pain .

Edited by persephone

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the tongue is a place that bleeds like crazy if it is wounded ??? If Dylan's tongue isn't bleeding much, perhaps the wound isn't that deep?

Hey ..... perhaps Dylan will be able to start speaking human words when his tongue heals.

Oooohhh .... bet you'll regret that.

"I want my food now."

"Time for a walk."

"I want my food now."

"I'm bored."

"I need a belly rub."

"I want my food now."

:p

Yeah, if the bleeding has stopped, & the wound was a clean one, then I wouldn't worry about it myself. Just keep an eye on it for infection, but I reckon he'll be fine.

That reminds me of a really gory photo I saw of a poor labrador that got its tongue caught in a paper shredder (they did sew it back together successfully). Now that would be worth worrying about! :p

Yeah, if the bleeding has stopped, & the wound was a clean one, then I wouldn't worry about it myself. Just keep an eye on it for infection, but I reckon he'll be fine.

That reminds me of a really gory photo I saw of a poor labrador that got its tongue caught in a paper shredder (they did sew it back together successfully). Now that would be worth worrying about! :p

Ooohhhhhh that's nasty. THanks I feel a little better about our mishap now LOL

worrying about nothing?

*nods*

not meaning to sound flippant :p Our workers often end up with bloody tongues from being thumped by sheep etc ..none have ever caused more than a very temporary bit of pain .

Yeah - you can be flippant :p - it's the vet I spoke to (or vet nurse) that scared me. I'd rather feel reassured.

I have had dogs bite their tongues before. One of them sprayed blood all through the car when I was driving home - I didn't even know what had happened till I pulled up at my door and noticed my car looked like a crime scene. RFLMAO

He was fine.

I guess I just felt more responsible because I had sort of deliberately sliced into the poor fellas tongue!!! And it looks nasty - well what i can see of it LOL).

Edited by spottychick

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the tongue is a place that bleeds like crazy if it is wounded ??? If Dylan's tongue isn't bleeding much, perhaps the wound isn't that deep?

Hey ..... perhaps Dylan will be able to start speaking human words when his tongue heals.

Oooohhh .... bet you'll regret that.

"I want my food now."

"Time for a walk."

"I want my food now."

"I'm bored."

"I need a belly rub."

"I want my food now."

:p

:p :rofl:

IF there's any way to do that he'd probably figure it out. hahahahaha

It did bleed a bit for a while - not a blood bath like my other dogs tongue was - but enough for me to be concerned and it looks a bit like it's got a piece hanging off. Hard to tell because I can't get a close look at it with wriggle bottom boy's artful dodges, without grabbing his tongue which I don't want to do.

The frozen chicken seems to have resolved that tho.

I also just gave him some colloidal silver and a drink of cold yoghurt/water. He seems fine I just want to get a proper look at that tongue when he settles a bit.

If it's not bleeding much it can't be that bad! Groomers dread tongue cuts. I've had a few lick the darn scissors over the years . An old groomers trick for cut tongues is fine white sugar ! ice / icey cold water is good, but the sugar trick if all else fails.

It'll be interesting to hear what to do for things like that.

I actually just got my own finger in the dog nail clippers the other day, was cleaning them and absentmindedly closed them on it. Wasn't too deep but sure hurt a lot.

Hope his tongue heals fast!

Oh what a naughty spottychick. :mad:mad:mad . From what you tell us about Dylan, I have no doubt that next time he sees the clippers he will grab them and make them bite you :laugh: ;)

Poor boy, poor you :o:) . Yes it is dreadful when we unintentionally do something to our babies and I could tell you a dozen times not to beat yourself up, but you will. ;) ;)

Myrtie lies on a bed underneath the study table, and I have lost count of the times I have given her a kick :(:(