*sigh*

Tapferhund

I don't agree with running dogs down in a vehicle, basic welfare principles shouldn't go out the window just because someone is desperate to remove the perceived threat. I've seen many animal chases where the pursuants are clearly making things worse as they know nothing about their subject nor the best way to approach and contain it. If police are to be relied upon in these situations they obviously need further training in this area.

It's obvious that the current laws are not enforced adequately to get the message across to the people who own these dogs but there also exists an onus on the authorities to conduct their jobs in a humane fashion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely, and animal welfare aside, what about human welfare ? We have police driving like maniacs on busy roads, swerving and cutting through public parks trying to run a dog over ? What if a pedestrian had been hit or he caused an accident ? We already have a kid thats been attacked by two dogs, not sure we need someone dead aswell.

Absolutely, and animal welfare aside, what about human welfare ? We have police driving like maniacs on busy roads, swerving and cutting through public parks trying to run a dog over ? What if a pedestrian had been hit or he caused an accident ? We already have a kid thats been attacked by two dogs, not sure we need someone dead aswell.

I thought that too. Still the biggest jaw drop was when the dog was chased into a toddler! the kid nearly fell over and luckily the dog didnt snap at what it hit, since it actually wasnt looking where it was going, cause it would have been a bite to the face.

Some what a rediculously handled event. I hope the people involved were spoken to about public saftey.

This coming from someone who was attacked by a large dog when i was young and just last week a pregnant friend was seriously attacked by dogs in the street. No need to panic. Better to deal with it in a reasonable manner.

:confused: :D ;)

I haven't read the whole thread. But I have to ask you: have you ever been set upon by three very large dogs? I am getting quite dismayed by all the dog bite threads in which people show very little sympathy for the people who are attached.

To start with the guy wasn't set upon by "three" large dogs , he was bitten by ONE of the three large dogs (his words on the news)

Try to imagine what it would be like to be an innocent bystander suddenly being set upon by three very large dogs. I wonder whether you'd be calling it laughable then when people/police came to your aid and then pursued the dogs by whatever means possible.

Oh paleeez ! Innocent (?) bystander??? You don't know that and neither do I. For all we know the dog approached him and he kicked it in the head causing it to retaliate.?? Which is probably what did happen ...but did anyone ask him or question him over it?? Dogs do not wander the streets looking for "innocent bystanders" to attack. They also don't bite for NO reason. There is always a reason !!! What annoys me are folk like yourself who never think,"what happened that caused the dog to bite in the first place?' It's always the 'poor innocent bystander' mentality instead!

More than two years after the incident, I still have the scars from being bitten THROUGH A FLEECY by an SWF. I hate to think what I'd look like if I'd had a few puncture wounds from dog/s the size of a Ridgeback.

*Shock horror* Don't tell me..........another "innocent" bystander ???? :D

Little old ladies, like anyone else, tend to choose dogs that are the most suitable for their capabilities and lifestyle. How likely is a little old lady to choose a large breed which requires alot of exercise and could cause injury if is not taught to heal properly ?

Common sense, there is no conspiracy.

It's also, I think, a matter of the laws being so damn restrictive that only people who are prepared to break the laws still want the dogs. I'd certainly consider owning a well bred pittie, they're awesome dogs, except that I couldn't work it or compete with it since by law I would have to muzzle it at all times in public... so I (and people like me) don't keep APBTs. The government are making pitbull owners into criminals or irresponsible morons by default, simply by making APBT less appealing to responsible owners.

:confused:

Oh paleeez ! Innocent (?) bystander??? You don't know that and neither do I. For all we know the dog approached him and he kicked it in the head causing it to retaliate.?? Which is probably what did happen ...but did anyone ask him or question him over it?? Dogs do not wander the streets looking for "innocent bystanders" to attack. They also don't bite for NO reason. There is always a reason !!! What annoys me are folk like yourself who never think,"what happened that caused the dog to bite in the first place?' It's always the 'poor innocent bystander' mentality instead!

My mother and I were set upon by two GSD's when I was seven and were both severely bitten. At no point did we do anything to provoke the attack - we just had the misfortune to be walking past the yard they broke out of.

Whatever the reason was, it had nothing to do with us. I find your comments ignorant and offensive.

Tapferhund, I didn't see any PitBull in these dogs so please dont make judgements such as that and also not all Bull breed owners are bogans and bad owners dont buy into the media hype with such generalisations smile.gif

Robby, apart from the dogs looking very pit bullish, it was said on the news (radio) that they looked very PB'ish. The dogs were larger and imo looked PB X Ridgeback.

...and I am sorry but the greater majority of people who have these dogs ARE bogans such as the owner of those dogs. Most are men and are between the age of 18 and 30 and their dogs are some sort of 'status' symbol for these mens shortcomings (LOL)

Only the other day , while out the front of my place, two very large very muscley American Bulldogs appeared in my driveway. Initially I thought they were roaming until I saw their owners . The owners, a man and a woman, were built like the dogs......both were body builders and looked like "Arnie" in his hey day of competition. Both looked as rough as bags and tough with arms sticking out while they walked along. He had nothing on but shorts .He was very obviously wanting to show of his muscles as well as his tough muscley dogs...who were both off lead and with no collars.

Its sights like these that makes people like me make judgements and generalizations.

When you see these sort of bogans all the time with dogs like Pitties or AmBulldogs.....how can you not !!????????

I dont own a Pit Bull however one of my dogs is a Bull Arabx and is often misidentified as an Am Staff or Pit Bull type. I can assure you I am not a bogan, I am a middle aged funeral director, I dress more like a nanna than a body builder yet I love Bull breeds and am happy to admit it :cry:

My mother and I were set upon by two GSD's when I was seven and were both severely bitten. At no point did we do anything to provoke the attack - we just had the misfortune to be walking past the yard they broke out of.

Whatever the reason was, it had nothing to do with us. I find your comments ignorant and offensive.

I am very sorry that you were attacked , its just dreadful ...but you did do something to provoke the attack. Before you judge my comments as offensive just re read the highlighted section of your comments.

To the dogs.....you were very near or too close to their territory .........and to dogs ...they don't see that just the other side of the fence is a "no go zone" and that they are only allowed to protect 'their' side of the fence.

As bad as any attacks are .....like I said....there is always a reason. You just gotta look for it.

Actually I look at that sentence and think the dogs most likely were kept in that yard all their lives never getting out. The world outside they perimetre is therefore beyond scary where everything is a threat and because they are non doggy saavy dogs they show wrong un-natural behaviour and launch into an attack without being provoked or giving sufficient warning.

Therefore it wasnt the people that did that it was the owners that set the dogs up to fail. Being close to the yard has nothing to do with it. Those kinds of dogs have no sense of how to act or about territory.

Looking at the owner or should I say ''possessor'' of these dogs and also the aquaintances you could assume that these dogs are subjected to all sorts of idiotic behaviour,the victim could have been similar to one of their tormenters.

Theres also the fact that they were running loose over a period of time where they were seeing a bigger area as their territory to guard,so IF the bystanders who stated they had been loose frequently HAD reported them why weren't they impounded previously, it seems like no authorities knew of them beforehand.

I can agree withe police chasing them up to a point because if they had got away this moron would not have come forward and the dogs could have attacked someone else with worse results.

Its not a case of them not being tracked down........but a case of the way it was done....by sheer terrorising and cruelty. As to the dogs biting children.....one had its chance when it brushed past a small child . The dog was at its heoght of terror and did it bite? NO!!!!! And I for one am sick to death of fearful people jumping on the band wagon of "But what if it had been a child?"

I would also like to know what happened to the two puppies that big brave policeman captured when at the dogs house? He had one under each arm as he stormed past the camera ..with conquest written all over his face.

The pups did nothing and were at home when ONE of the three roaming dogs bite a guy.......and yet ALL dogs, including pups, have suffered inhumanly for it.

I too am so over dog attacks and the fools who own these dogs...but I am also over the knee jerk OVER REACTION by the authorities and media !!

Can I just say - I was at my local dog park recently, and I have two german shepherds and one woman tried to hit my dog for chasing her jack russell - the jack russell was absolutely loving it - but she thought it was 'terrified' and tried to hit my dog...

now... if my dog had bit her I would've cheered him on.

I always like to know what a person has done to aggravate the dog that attacks them - granted, not all people do something... sometimes dogs just turn... but not all the time the 'victim' is innocent... maybe the dog was protecting itself? - and I'm not talking about this particular instance because I haven't seen the video and can't bring myself to watch it... but maybe we should ask what a person has done to piss a dog off -

as I was saying... that woman HIT my german shepherd - if he wasnt so placid and loving, he could've ripped her apart - and of course, he would've gotten put down...

she had absolutely no right to touch my dog.

so just ask - what provoked the dog?

Well just saw the news and the young guy bitten did have a few nasty bites on his legs. The dogs looked like PB's X Ridgebacks.

I did feel for the dogs though....running terrified from police and others. The police even tried to run down one of the dogs which is bloody cruel imo. The mongrel could have injured the dog and if it had got away could have suffered terribly or died in agony somewhere. Just awful.

My understanding ...ONE dog did the attacking and the others didn't and yet they were hunted and chased too to the point of being terrified. The police went to the owners house and shot two dogs and took two puppies away. The owner was that typical yobbo type that seems to always have tough bull breed type dogs. IMO he should have been the one to get shot...not his poor dogs. It is not their fault they were owned by a 'd*ckhead.

Anyway the whole situation is very sad with once again the poor dogs suffering the consequences.

How were the police expected to know which one of the three to target? ;)

Steve said it all, don't blame the police for doing their jobs. Blame the knob of an owner.

The owner of the dogs is definitely a knob but, as you said, how did the police know which dog to target??? Some cops do seem to have a heightened sense of self importance and trying to run over a dog is simply apalling, WTF??!! :vomit: :vomit:

Can I just say - I was at my local dog park recently, and I have two german shepherds and one woman tried to hit my dog for chasing her jack russell - the jack russell was absolutely loving it - but she thought it was 'terrified' and tried to hit my dog...

I always like to know what a person has done to aggravate the dog that attacks them - granted, not all people do something... sometimes dogs just turn... but not all the time the 'victim' is innocent... maybe the dog was protecting itself? - and I'm not talking about this particular instance because I haven't seen the video and can't bring myself to watch it... but maybe we should ask what a person has done to piss a dog off -

as I was saying... that woman HIT my german shepherd - if he wasnt so placid and loving, he could've ripped her apart - and of course, he would've gotten put down...

she had absolutely no right to touch my dog.so just ask - what provoked the dog?

Are you serious???

You'd have cheered your dog on for an aggressive response to a human? That's just plain frightening.

Did she hit your dog or try to hit it - you've said both in here.

No, dogs do not just "turn". The fact that people can't read canine body language and at times don't want to admit responsibility for triggering behaviour has led to the development of that myth.

She had every right not to have her dog chased by yours and to protect it if she felt the need. Next time if its obvious the owner isn't appreciating the "game" call your dog off. He won't get hit by anyone then. Had your dog chased one of my small dogs and you failed to control him, he'd have worn my boot. You what you consider to be "playful" probably looks a hell of a lot like a dog in prey drive to some dog owners.

Edited by poodlefan

Its not a case of them not being tracked down........but a case of the way it was done....by sheer terrorising and cruelty. As to the dogs biting children.....one had its chance when it brushed past a small child . The dog was at its heoght of terror and did it bite? NO!!!!! And I for one am sick to death of fearful people jumping on the band wagon of "But what if it had been a child?"

I would also like to know what happened to the two puppies that big brave policeman captured when at the dogs house? He had one under each arm as he stormed past the camera ..with conquest written all over his face.

The pups did nothing and were at home when ONE of the three roaming dogs bite a guy.......and yet ALL dogs, including pups, have suffered inhumanly for it.

I too am so over dog attacks and the fools who own these dogs...but I am also over the knee jerk OVER REACTION by the authorities and media !!

she had absolutely no right to touch my dog.

so just ask - what provoked the dog?

How do you knoww her JRT was not terrified??? It's her dog, she would know his reactions.. you don't.

If a pair of wolfhounds were chasing down one of your shepherds, how would you react???

I know what I'd do if 2 larger dogs were chasing one of my smaller ones.... ;) maybe you need some control over your dogs?