Hip / Elbow X-rays

Allerzeit

I'm just curious on what people pay to have x-rays done :D Not scoring, just the x-rays themselves.

I've just had a quote from a vet for $450 - $500 for an adult male Rottweiler (around 50kg), and am interested in how that compares with others? It's been a 6 years since we had x-rays done and that cost $160, which I know was a brilliant price even back then.

I'm not necessarily looking for a cheaper price - this vet has confirmed that they are experienced in taking scoring x-rays, which is more important to me than cost, but I know that OH is so going to hit the roof when I tell him that it is going to cost $500 for the x-rays :rofl:

No, no - you're meant to be telling me that you paid the same as what it's going to cost us, so that I can tell OH that $500 is perfectly reasonable! :rofl:

Nah, seriously, thanks, guys - appreciate your input :)

Edited cause I missed a word :D

Edited by Allerzeit

Well I am about to have one of my Shepherds done (hips/elbows) and I was quoted nearly $500 which is disgusting......especially as I have found out from two friends who paid nowhere near that price. They paid (at two different Vets) $170 and the other $200 . So doG knows where my Vet gets $500 from.

I think its about time Vets were held accountable in what they charge . They seem to be a law unto themselves and charge whatever they like. IMO they need to be regulated.

I think you should shop around for a better price that the rip off price you were quoted by your own vet.

Hmmm, right - maybe I need to be doing some more asking around first....

Ok - anyone in Southern Tasmania, can you recommend a vet for doing x-rays?

I had two Vizslas done about two months ago at North Hobart Vet Hospital and they were just over $400 each that includes elbows and the scoring from Wyburn.

eta..they are very good :confused:

Edited by Bokezu

Two GSD's Hip/Elbow x-rayed 6 months ago at Monash Vet. clinic.

$245 each. These were digital x-rays.

The advantage of digital is that if positioning is not correct, it can be seen immediately on the computer screen, which allows for re-positioning in an instant, before another shot is taken. No need to wait for developing of older style x-rays, to check positioning.

The images are very clear and much better quality than the old machines.

Julie

Allerzeit, you will find that the price in Tasmania is a lot more than you would expect on the mainland.

Having said that many mainland Vets charge like wounded bulls. :love:

One of my bitches was scored down there nearly ten years ago and it was damn expensive then (about $400 back then with scoring), plus too the Vet had no idea about positioning costing the scoring to be considerably higher.

I know a Rott breeder down there who is going to have to pay about $400 each for the next set of plates they get. I would go to a Vet who does know what they are doing, ask the GSD people who they use down there, that would be the one I would be using for best positioning.

Good luck!

Oh just in case you don't know, Wyburns costs go from $100 to $120 for HD and ED as of the 1st of January 2011.

ETA: the last set I had done about 6 months ago cost me just under $200 plus scoring.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Sam - I was sort of expecting around the $500'ish mark, so I actually wasn't too shocked when told the price, but I was a bit dismayed to then see how high it was to the general feedback from other dog people, just wasn't expecting that.

In Wangaratta, when we first had hips done with a vet there - and this would have been 15 years ago - it was around $700 or $800 for two dogs (not including scoring), and the x-rays were poorly positioned. Then we cottoned on to Wandin Vet Clinic, who took great x-rays and only charged about $160, so of course we thought that was just brilliant and kept taking dogs down to Melbourne for x-rays, and I honestly believed that they were unusually in-expensive, but it sounds like that's not really the case.

I'm waiting to hear back if the price I was quoted included reading - but these guys are the vets that people keep recommending as being the best place to go to for x-rays, and I'm relying heavily on recommendation since we don't know any vets down here yet, so I think I will just have to suck it up!

We were seriously toying with the idea of taking Neo to Wandin in Feb when we come across for the champ show, but we just won't have the time to fit it in and also give him enough time to recover from the GA before leaving him in a cage unattended all night on the boat, so we've discarded that idea.

Allerzeit I paid $245 for Bandit hip/elbow x-rays earlier this year at Monash, even though they are pricey at lease you know the dogs are placed in the correct position. I would hate to see a dog xrayed incorrectly and given a high score because the person doing the x-raying didn't position the dog correctly. Speak to Michelle and see who she uses in Tassie, although I've not seen her here lately you may have to ask her on FB.

As Sam said Prof W has increased his fees slightly, am guessing the wine in Margaret River must have gone up a tad :cheer:

You know Neo can always stay here :champagne: I dont mind keeping errrr....looking after him for a while :(

Edited by TrinaJ

You know Neo can always stay here :cheer: I dont mind keeping errrr....looking after him for a while :champagne:

You would change your mind about that SOOOOO fast if you had him there :( Cute, but oh so naughty!

OK, just checked and the cost does include the reading fee, so while it's still expensive, it's better than I thought :cheer:

Thanks for all the input and feedback everyone!