First Time Breeder

Beckley85

I'm pretty sure you've just suffered the worst welcome to this website ever.

But WELCOME none the less :(

Good on you for sticking around and not taking everything to heart.

There is plenty of people here to point you in the right direction.

Have you heard of the MDBA? This would be the place to start IMO (and now I have a job I can FINALLY do their courses :) )

I think this course http://www.mdba.net.au/index.php?page=shop...t&Itemid=28 might be worth a look into :(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you've just suffered the worst welcome to this website ever.

Ummm nope!

But I am really glad you stuck around.

There are lots of people who do not breed and have pets only, obedience/agility/herding/dancing with dogs people, trainers, behaviouralists, vets and many many more. There is a wealth of information from everyone on most things.

Unfortunately, when my girl had her pups, the first one got stuck and she had to have a Caesar. It was all a bit harrowing. This time, I am going to have Progesterone test done a couple of days before she is due, and if all is well, I will just book her in for a Caesar during the day.

Another thing I learned this mating, was to have a Progestone test done on the bitch to make sure she is at the right part of her cycle to mate - something I didnt do last time. If they are mated when the level is at the right place, they can have more puppies, and in my case that would be better, as last time she had 5 big pups, instead of maybe 7-8 smaller ones, and they may not have got stuck. It also ensures she actually falls pregnant. I mated my girl this time on day 12, although bitches are not the same, so maybe get a test done on day 9 of her cycle, then 48 hours later, so it can be judged where she is heading. They are only about $50-$60, which is worth it, as you know exactly when she is ready, and are not wasting a mating.

Your bitch might not need a caesar next time, lots of bitches have normal births after having a caeser. Did they vet tell you your girl will need a caesar next time? Re the prog testing you need to start a bit earlier than 9 days as some bitches can be ready for mating then, each bitch is different and some are different every cycle. Bitches can be tricky. They also don't guarentee a succesful pregnancy, just makes the chances a lot more in your favour.

Maybe due to being new I wasn't aware that there are people known as trolls on here but as a newbie it was very daunting reading all the posts. But I am not one to just roll over and let other people take me out. And yes I am wanting to do it the right way to start with. Will be putting pics up over the next few days of my beautiful boxers..

Good on you for coming back on - most people DO mean well, and are happy to support people who want to breed & do the right thing.

As I said, there is a good deal of knowledge on this forum, if you want to know anything, you couldn't do better than ask Jed and/or Poodlefan :grouphug: I so wish I had access to their knowledge when I bred my 1st litter. I did have support & mentoring from the breeder of my bitch, but she is in NZ, so not always contactable. I have related the story of my disastrous 1st litter in the breeders forum. If I had access to DOL back then I'm sure things would have turned out a lot better.

:cry: Beckly85 - don't forget the puppy pictures when the time comes but, in the meantime, any pictures of your dogs are always welcome!

good to see you hung in here Beckly85 :-)

Do you have a mentor in your breed ? that would be my first port of call.

then joining the boxer club, joining your state's canine body and applying for your prefix.

Don't be in a rush, think of breeding like a long apprenticeship, a chance to learn more about your breed, lines that go well with eacher, what dogs are like around the country & overeas.

fifi

edited to add words !

Thank you Fifi, for your encouragement to potential breeders. We need all the advice and encouragement that is on offer.

My babies are now about to turn 3 and I still do not feel at all ready to attempt my first litter.

Perhaps in another 12 months I will feel that I am armed with enough knowledge and confidence to consider allowing a mating between my two wolfies. Even though I have had people remark to me (not wolfie people, thank goodness) that as they were both imported from UK and Ireland, with the associated expenses, we should at least make money out of them as soon as possible. :mad

Good luck to you becky ..your boxers are gorgeous.

Thank you Fifi, for your encouragement to potential breeders. We need all the advice and encouragement that is on offer.

My babies are now about to turn 3 and I still do not feel at all ready to attempt my first litter.

Perhaps in another 12 months I will feel that I am armed with enough knowledge and confidence to consider allowing a mating between my two wolfies. Even though I have had people remark to me (not wolfie people, thank goodness) that as they were both imported from UK and Ireland, with the associated expenses, we should at least make money out of them as soon as possible. :mad

Good luck to you becky ..your boxers are gorgeous.

This is not breeding for the "betterment of the breed". This is never a good enough reason to breed.

All that the bolded reads to me is "These dogs owe me X amount, love doesnt count".

Edited by Parkeyre

Unfortunately, when my girl had her pups, the first one got stuck and she had to have a Caesar. It was all a bit harrowing. This time, I am going to have Progesterone test done a couple of days before she is due, and if all is well, I will just book her in for a Caesar during the day.

Another thing I learned this mating, was to have a Progestone test done on the bitch to make sure she is at the right part of her cycle to mate - something I didnt do last time. If they are mated when the level is at the right place, they can have more puppies, and in my case that would be better, as last time she had 5 big pups, instead of maybe 7-8 smaller ones, and they may not have got stuck. It also ensures she actually falls pregnant. I mated my girl this time on day 12, although bitches are not the same, so maybe get a test done on day 9 of her cycle, then 48 hours later, so it can be judged where she is heading. They are only about $50-$60, which is worth it, as you know exactly when she is ready, and are not wasting a mating.

Your bitch might not need a caesar next time, lots of bitches have normal births after having a caeser. Did they vet tell you your girl will need a caesar next time? Re the prog testing you need to start a bit earlier than 9 days as some bitches can be ready for mating then, each bitch is different and some are different every cycle. Bitches can be tricky. They also don't guarentee a succesful pregnancy, just makes the chances a lot more in your favour.

Thanks for that Rebanne. The owner of the stud dog told me she was more than likely to need a Caesar this time. She has bred for a number of years, so I took her word for it. I will take her to the vet in a couple for weeks for a check up, and ask his opinion. You explained the prog testing better too. It was new to me and I was running off memory lol

Thank dog that you stuck out that baptism of fire ;) Your two babies are absolutely gorgeous. I started breeding with a mentor who very kindly gave me my first bitch and led me down the right paths. I have no been breeding for over 40 years, but I still an interest in the goings on in that rare-ified place. ;) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Had a scan on her last Monday, and they can only see 2 pups, so a Caesar again is looking very definite as the pups will be big, and I dont want to put her through having one stuck again. At least this time, I can get her done during the day and not as an emergency lol