Everlasting Treats...

SpotTheDog

Gus likes to chew stuff.

He likes to chew stuff a lot.

I took delivery of an order today, for a second kong, a bag of 20 pigs ears and an everlasting treat ball plus everlasting treat rusks. These aren't cheap items. The ball, which comes with one rusk, plus a packet of two additional rusks, was near enough to fifty bucks.

It started well - Gus took to the everlasting treat ball, with rusk intact, like a dog to a chewy thing. Sat out in the grass very happily gnawing. I watched him on and off for the first half an hour, then left him to it. An hour after I gave him the ball, I went out to see how he was doing and he had turned his attention to chewing somthing else. I retrieved the everlasting ball to see what was up with it, and there was no rusk to be seen. I don't know if he's eaten it or lost it in the grass.

I put a second rusk into the ball this evening here in the living room and have been watching him go at it.

Yes, it occupies him. Problem is he opens his jaws like a boa constrictor and tries to fit the whole ball in there. He's popped the treat out of it three times and managed to make himself bleed (dribbling blood on my carpet) which is probably (hopefully) just a teething bleed (he's not bothered by it) and I can't see any further problems and there's nothing sharp on this chew toy.

The second time he popped the rusk out I realised it's probably a pretty high choking risk for him if he manages to pop it out. He chews at the rusk but I'm worried he'll just give it a few chews and then try to swallow. No more unattending chewing with this toy by the looks of it - that's a sodding expensive TREAT BALL LESSON. :rofl:

I bought the large ball and rusks for dogs over 40lbs - Gus weighed in at 20.1kgs on his six month birthday on 1st November.

:rofl: Any alternative suggestions for me? Gus has been raw fed including lots of RMBs to date, so his jaws are in tip-top gnawing condition.

LOL my Amstaffs do the same thing, they don't get any more rusks for their everlasting treat balls. All three have been 'popped' out and eaten. My boy doesn't like Kongs at all, no matter what I put in them, the girl does though.

I find the knotted raw hide bone things an awesome chewing toy, keeps the pooches occupied for ages. They're not cheap I buy ones that are about a foot long and they $5 ish each, but they keep them going for a good few days, it's great.

Also I find the days they have a chicken carcass they are less inclined to chew... not sure what the correlation there is.

I find the everlast fun balls are ACD proof but not bull terrier proof.

I have a rope through the middle of mine. My dog enjoys a bit of self flaggelation with it, and every now and again I put a bit of kibble or roast beef or whatever is going, into the middle. Wouldn't do a "rusk".

The best thing for slow treat dispensing is a purple squirrel dude. Expensive but so far, un killed. And that's one up on a red kong. I just load it up with kibble. And EH picks it up by the head and throws it round the room so it makes kibble deposits from its opposite end. Almost as good as a possum.

http://www.chinostreats.com.au/d161/squirrel-dude/

Note - link is to give you an idea what they look like - I've never shopped with that site.

Maybe smear some peanut butter or something on the ball instead, to keep him interested in it?

The white hide bones are a big favourite around here. I have small dogs so they are only about $1.50 per bone, and they last ages. I think it's been nearly 2 weeks since I bought 2 (for 2 dogs) and my puppy is just finishing the last of it as we speak.

I have a JRT who is a constant chewer/licker, he popped the treats out of the "everlasting treat" in about 5 minutes, chewed it up in 10 minutes then looked for more - no way, too expensive.

Now I smear peanut butter inside the Kong and it keeps him satisfied for about 15mins at a time - btw i buy the cheapest peanut butter just for the dogs.

I have a JRT who is a constant chewer/licker, he popped the treats out of the "everlasting treat" in about 5 minutes, chewed it up in 10 minutes then looked for more - no way, too expensive.

Now I smear peanut butter inside the Kong and it keeps him satisfied for about 15mins at a time - btw i buy the cheapest peanut butter just for the dogs.

Gus hates peanut butter. :thumbsup:

Even for puppy training classes, everyone else was hopping around bribing their dogs with a tub of peanut butter and I was sat there with a jar of kraft cheese spread - the stuff I won't even eat myself because I find plastic non-expiring dairy products kind of frightening...

About the only thing that keeps his attention for even a few minutes is raw mince - beef or lamb - packed into a large kong. He's even hit and miss with a bone - some days I can give him a meaty lamb bone and he'll look at me like 'wtf do you expect me to do with this?'

Might try rawhide bones or shark cartilege.

Wish suppliers would make up an 'experimental treat pack' for people like me! I'd happily order a mix-n-match pack with like, one rawhide bone, couple of pigs ears, a roo tail, a pig's trotter, shark cartilege, so on so forth so I could see which one the dog got good mileage out of and then order that item in bulk.

We like cow hooves, here. They last a long time. My boys are only moderate chewers, but a cow hoof will last them at least a week. We recently tried buffalo tail and that seems to keep them going for about a full day.

Wish suppliers would make up an 'experimental treat pack' for people like me! I'd happily order a mix-n-match pack with like, one rawhide bone, couple of pigs ears, a roo tail, a pig's trotter, shark cartilege, so on so forth so I could see which one the dog got good mileage out of and then order that item in bulk.

http://roochoos.com.au/products.html :thumbsup:

Pet treats Mixed Dog Treats Pack

The mixed treat pack contains a selection of our products designed to allow your pet to taste and try the different varieties of our product. Standard pack consists of 2 leg bones, 2 upper leg bones, 2 ribs, 100gr jerky, 2 flaps and 2 whole tails. Variations available – just email or phone and discuss your dogs needs. The mixed pack is an excellent way to give variety to your pets instead of just the same old every day fare.

I'm getting great feedback on the deer antlers.

http://www.whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.p...at&catId=40

Sway, I noticed the website has possum tails for sale - are these real? And if so, isn't the possum a protected species? (Just curious 'tis all.)

Yes they are real tails, they are also imported.

All possums are protected in Australia under the provisions of the Wildlife Act 1975

http://roochoos.com.au/products.html :laugh:

Pet treats Mixed Dog Treats Pack

The mixed treat pack contains a selection of our products designed to allow your pet to taste and try the different varieties of our product. Standard pack consists of 2 leg bones, 2 upper leg bones, 2 ribs, 100gr jerky, 2 flaps and 2 whole tails. Variations available – just email or phone and discuss your dogs needs. The mixed pack is an excellent way to give variety to your pets instead of just the same old every day fare.

:thumbsup:

I <3 this forum. :rasberry:

Bdazzled in the WA thread was getting sheep horns before the Agility Nationals and selling them as a fundraiser for the Nationals, they looked like they would keep most dogs chewing for a while. Perhaps inquire are your nearest knackery to see if you can procure any.