Medium Dog Breeds

Alfie02

Hi :p

I love researching breeds on the net and get asked by a few of my friends and family about different dogs and what dog breed do I think would suit their needs.

I am usually pretty good at matching dogs with their lifestyles and preferences..but one thing has me a bit stumped. A lot of the time people are asking for medium sized dog breeds (border collie size) that are not known for being ultra energetic.....so medium dog breeds that are medium energy levels (in general of course).

So my question is what medium sized dog breeds are considered 'medium' energy?

Thanks!

PS. I know that I can look this up on the net, but I find that personal experience is much more reliable than random information on the net :laugh:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lappies (in general) don't have the same energy requirements as a border collie :laugh:

They are happy with a half hour - hour walk each day, and its not the end of the world if you miss a day. Mind you, if you want to be a dedicated exercise freak, there will be a Lappie out there that will be more than happy to tag along! LOL

i would say avoid working breeds - border collies, kelpies etc...

i like the collies rough and smooth but i wouldnt consider a rough a medium breed

on the otherside of the spectrum.... giant dogs tend to has low energy levels and alot of toy or small breeds have VERY high energy levels - so i dont think size has anything to do with energy requirements... its the breed and its purpose and lines which determine the energy requirements of a dog IMHO :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, very helpful. Most of the medium dog breeds that are more 'common' seem to be mostly working breeds I have found, so its good to know of some breeds that may not be as common and more medium energy :laugh:

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, very helpful. Most of the medium dog breeds that are more 'common' seem to be mostly working breeds I have found, so its good to know of some breeds that may not be as common and more medium energy :laugh:

Lappies are a working breed :p but - in general - they are pretty laid back compared to most.

bearnappingred.jpg

would a cocker be too small?

I would definately say my two are medium energy. Also great with kids :laugh:

Needs to be ok with grooming though!

Wouldn't actually agree with this. In my experience, Cockers have always been on the higher end of the energy scale and not always reliable with children.

I would say a greyhound could be suitable for some homes. They're not always a large breed of dog. Aren't high energy (most are sprinters not stayers and are content with short, sharp bursts of exercise) and are generally terrific with kids.

Also loving the greyhound suggestion, I think they are just beautiful doggies :p and yes about the cockers, I have met some lovely cockers but then have heard some not so good rumors about them :laugh: , but personally I adore them and think they look so divine!

I've had both American Cockers and English Cockers and NEITHER would fit the sedate bill IMO. They're too busy and curious to be low or medium energy in my experience.

On the other hand, my GAP greyhound can be so laid back, you'd swear he was slipping into a coma! :laugh:

They're not ALL tall and "big" dogs. They fit into a surprisingly small area when they wish to. And most seem to be happy with a few good exercise "spurts" per week. And best of all, they'll do it on their own...you don't have to hold their paws! :p

Our two Field Spaniels are pretty laid back. Once I hurt my back and was off work for a week and hubby was away and the dogs were unbelievable - they just lay around with me the whole time when I thought surely they would be going stir crazy.

I would definately say my two are medium energy. Also great with kids :laugh:

Wouldn't actually agree with this. In my experience, Cockers have always been on the higher end of the energy scale and not always reliable with children.

Ellz - i was just speaking about my experience with my two. I compare them to our friends dogs eg. boxer & border collies, and then my OH's mums maltese, and i would definately place our cockers in the middle of the two spectrums.

I would definately say my two are medium energy. Also great with kids :p

Ellz - i was just speaking about my experience with my two. I compare them to our friends dogs eg. boxer & border collies, and then my OH's mums maltese, and i would definately place our cockers in the middle of the two spectrums.

Fair enough.

My experience probably spans a little longer than yours and with a wider variety of dogs.....

My current American Cockers are laid back compared to the English Cockers I have known and loved and they still give my Kelpie a run for her money! :laugh:

Staffordshire Bull Terrier medium size, I'd class mine as medium energy level but I know some have a higher energy level.

Yep, even my laid back Woger can be incredibly full on. But naturally couldn't recommend a better breed with children/families! :laugh:

Staffordshire Bull Terrier medium size, I'd class mine as medium energy level but I know some have a higher energy level.

Yep, even my laid back Woger can be incredibly full on. But naturally couldn't recommend a better breed with children/families! :)

I always meet people who look at Banjo and say that breed is high energy/needs a lot of exercise but I'm like no not really but that could be just him ;) . I think if you ask me in a years time it might be a different story with my new pup, he's already more full on than I remember Banjo being as a pup :laugh: :p .