Medium Dog Breeds

Alfie02

Beagles - again it depends on the individual. But ours is happiest sleeping!!

Or it could just be that Jessi seems low energy compared to the 2 BC girls?

I was wondering about some of the other smaller gun dogs - Field, clumber, welsh springer?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Staffordshire Bull Terrier medium size, I'd class mine as medium energy level but I know some have a higher energy level.

Yup. Most of the staffords I've met can be pretty full on when they're playing, but are happy to chill out & lie about the house when they're not.

:laugh:

That's what I meant just couldn't explain myself better :laugh::laugh:

LOL. OT, but I've spend the day sitting down studying, and the malinois has been pacing, whining and fussing at me that we're not doing anything. It's days like this I really miss my stafford... he really knew how to chill out!

Beagles - again it depends on the individual. But ours is happiest sleeping!!

Or it could just be that Jessi seems low energy compared to the 2 BC girls?

I was wondering about some of the other smaller gun dogs - Field, clumber, welsh springer?

I don't know about the others but I'd say welsh springers definitely need a reasonably amount of exercise or they are likely to get up to mischief. We had them growing up and dad had one now, he has three off leash walks a day and could take more.

I'd think anything with a working background you would want to steer clear of if you were looking for medium energy, then again there are always exceptions within a breed.

Thank you for all the great suggestions everyone, some good breeds to do some research on so I can have some more knowledge about them before suggesting them to friends as suitable breeds :eek:

Had a look at a picture of some cardigan corgi puppies on the net...and you are right SmoothieGirl and Alyosha, very cute :rofl: !

Edited by Alfie02

Just my opinion. But I think the Cardigan Corgi is at the smaller end of the medium dog range. And I think they're one of the hidden treasures of the dog world. Sensible dogs that are all-round moderate. Our family had one when we were children.

At the bigger end of the medium range is the Smooth Collie. Another one of the hidden treasures.

In both cases, of course, I'm talking about purebreds from good registered breeders.

LOVE Cardigan Corgis, they are just about the cutest puppies ever too :rofl: all ears and button eyes and noses.

My cardi girl is definitely medium energy - but she does get plenty of mental stimulation - she's at training 3-4 times a week, between obedience, dances with dogs, and agility. But she definitely isn't painful if she misses a walk for a day or two. But they are a smart, herding dog, and do need a reasonable amount of stimulation. Kids love my girl - she's just the right size, being not too scary, but big enough to be a 'dog'. They definitely classify as a medium dog, even if they do have short legs, they are long and solid.