Bailey Has Dug Holes Everywhere

borderfan

My 6 month old border collie has been problem free ever since I got him until last night. This morning I woke up and went outside and he has dug 6 decent sized holes in the perfectly manicured lawn and pulled off 2 pairs of pants off the line and shredded them.

The clothes I can deal with later but lawn is a problem. I rent my house and I was told I could have a dog provided it did no damage to anything. The landlord had laid new beautiful turf a few weeks before we moved in and seeing as we have a large backyard it would have been quite expensive. I know that they will not be impressed (neither am I!) that there are all these holes in them now. They are the size of dinner plates or bigger and go past my ankle if I put my foot in.

So now I need to damage control it, the landlord is due for an inspection in about 4 weeks, whats the best way to fix the lawn in the meantime. Should I fill it with dirt and put grass seeds in to grow or is there a better way??

Also bailey has multiple toys and is walked twice a day so total about 1.5 hours plus at least that again playing and training in the yard. I'm just worried that the landlord was specific the dog didnt wreck the lawn and now he has and we may have to move :o

Re: Fixing the lawn. The best thing to do is fill the holes in with dirt and go to your local turf farm or Bunning's and get some rolls of turf, cut them to size and water every arvo. The patches should take in about 2 weeks. They will be soggy so you will have to try and keep your boy away from them for at least a week while they harden up. If your not sure what sort of grass it is take a photo or a sample with you.

Poor you. I sympathise. Elbie our kelpie border collie cross went through a phase where he liked digging the occasional hole. He doesn't like poo so putting poop in the holes he dug deterred him from digging again.

Too easy, maybe ...

Karma struck :o

Then we got Hoover our little Kelpie and he LOVES to dig. He's not bored, he just seemed to get intense enjoyment out of it and some of the holes he dug were pretty massive – could fit two of him in them. Poo in the hole was a mild deterrent but he'd just dig around or dig new holes.

A while back, I read a suggestion that at the time I thought was pretty funny but didn't think was workable (i.e. throw a bucket of water on the dogs) but when Hoover just kept digging, we decided we'd try it. We kept half a bucket of water near the back door and when we saw them digging, OH runs outside and throws the water – not on the dogs but near them. They're not actually scared of the water but it seems to make Hoover 'understand' that digging is a no no more than anything else we do does! Good luck with the lawn.

Edited by koalathebear

You know Ive been documenting our hole digging. Some of my Maremmas live in the house and mooch around most of their lives on the front porch area - by choice.

But their water bowls are out in the yard and not on the porch - the poor things have to walk about 30 metres when they want a drink.

But now and then they go nuts digging holes up close to the porch - They are like man traps about as round as a dinner plate but pretty deep.We go long periods with no digging then it starts again. Since its been raining more often and we are not in drought any more the hole digging has become more active. Drives me mad BUT just because Ive got nothing better to do I have kept a diary on all sorts of stuff most sane people wouldn't consider. I thought it may be just because the ground is now softer and easier to dig because its not so dry.

You know what I reckon ? I think they tell me what the weather is going to be like better than any weather man. You cant know what your dog is thinking but I reckon they are digging holes close to the porch just before it rains so they dont have to go as far to get a drink. These holes actually act like water bowls if I dont get to fill them in quickly enough before it rains - and so far it always rains just after they dig these holes! This morning I went out and there's a new hole about 2 feet from the porch just out away from the eaves where it will fill up nicely with water when it rains and the dog can stay under the shelter while it drinks.I documented that last time they dug a hole they did exactly that. Weather man says we will get rain today. So now Im on a mission - Im going to move that water bowl up onto the porch so the poor things dont have to get wet when they want a drink because I reckon that will stop em from digging - or at least stopping them from digging these holes close to the house.

Are they really that smart?

Steve I reckon your dogs might be that smart :o Aren't they often left out in the paddocks with the stock full time? Maybe the water thing is part of that? I imagine they also wouldn't want to travel far to look for water as one of their flock might get munched whilst they are away. Fascinating!

I think Border Collies however just enjoy digging. Every time I get a new pup I have at least 6 months of digging. Nothing to do with exercise etc as I have acres, they get trained everyday and I have 3 of them! I also work from home.

If the turf doesn't get fixed before the visit I would be inclined to own before they got there and promise new turf when you leave. The turf is likely to get tracks in it anyhow from Bailey running around.

Nup no holes like these that are close to the house BUT they are in small paddocks and there are water sources pretty close no matter where they are in the paddock.They woudl still have to walk some to get a drink but the sheep stay in the rain and so do they even though they have a shelter they could stay under. However, they have dug different sort of holes - more like shallow graves in the shade -Im guessing that's to keep cool. The bitch actually has a couple of week old lambs there with her now. No wonder no house work gets done around here. Ill add the paddock dogs digging to the digging diary now. :o

Guest RANDCMOORE31

I would get a roll of turf and fill in the gaps - as mentioned it will take quite quickly especially at this time of year - if you keep it moist. Can I also suggest covering the patches with chicken wire held down with tent pegs until the turf has taken - so they don't dig up the patches.

Maybe also consider getting a ridgy didge - okay to dig - sandpit in a clam shell or something - so there's somewhere that's okay to dig.

Nup no holes like these that are close to the house BUT they are in small paddocks and there are water sources pretty close no matter where they are in the paddock.They woudl still have to walk some to get a drink but the sheep stay in the rain and so do they even though they have a shelter they could stay under. However, they have dug different sort of holes - more like shallow graves in the shade -Im guessing that's to keep cool. The bitch actually has a couple of week old lambs there with her now. No wonder no house work gets done around here. Ill add the paddock dogs digging to the digging diary now. :o

I've got one border collie currently laying in her 'shallow grave' hole :(

I would get a roll of turf and fill in the gaps - as mentioned it will take quite quickly especially at this time of year - if you keep it moist. Can I also suggest covering the patches with chicken wire held down with tent pegs until the turf has taken - so they don't dig up the patches.

Maybe also consider getting a ridgy didge - okay to dig - sandpit in a clam shell or something - so there's somewhere that's okay to dig.

Yep Thats what I would do too.

ok so i put poop in a couple of the bigger holes then took the kids to school, came home and wow look a new hole! he looks so proud of himself! grrrrrrr. anyway will go to bunnings tomorrow and get some dirt and lawn roll and try patching it up. I may section him off the part of the lawn down the back that is around the corner so you cant see it unless you go round there as the landlord never seems to walk around that part just looks out the back door. And that is currently where all the holes are!

There seems no pattern to his digging, they are just in total random spots all over the yard, and the hard part is i havent actually caught him doing it, i just find the holes and then you can see him thinking "uh oh i probably shouldnt have done that"

As a landlord as well as a tenant, I would be really surprised if the landlord can chuck you out. I had just repainted the house and a bunch of ferals moved in (with excellent references of course!) and they demolished the place. Not much we could do. I specified that all damage to the garden had to be repaired at end of lease, guess who is repairing the lawn?,

Anyway, as a tenant, I had the same problem with my no dig dogs digging........arggh

Skedaddle from Bunnings in the pest aisle all over the lawn is what I used, it's citronella based put a bit extra in the holes, and I wouldn't usually cover te holes with dirt (of course you may need to with teh inspection coming!)

Calm down, the lawn will grow back faster than you think, and any little holes at inspection time, tell them you've been digging out weeds!

I did find with my border collies that putting poo etc in the hole just made them dig elsewhere. I tend to have a 'sacrifice' area and the digging stays in that spot. Once they reach about 1yo I can usually safely fill in the hole.

Can you keep him indoors or in a run at night?

You now have an adolescent dog!

You have a working breed adolescent dog, who will benefit from lots of direction and mental exercise .....

Adolescent dogs have much more physical ability and mental smarts than baby pups...so ...they need LOTS to occupy their senses.

Digging holes for fun is just SOOOO rewarding.Tactile- damp soil , scentwise...all sorts of deliciousness.... there is also the feel of coolness.. the good vibes from physical exertion, and the use of their 'hunting' instincts ...chasing crickets/worms/bugs

It's all good! From a doggie point of view .

What does Bailey's routine consist of?

How long are his daily obedience sessions/walks?Distance-wise. Is he on a controlled walk.. or a 'wander around,sniffing' walk?

How much inside time does he have?

how much family time does he get?

How much play with other dogs does he have ?

What chewing does he do?

You may well want to get him a digging pit!

Clam shell, or a pile of sand, or a built one . At least 60 cm deep ... bury treats/toys, and praise him for digging there.

Our dogs are all on sand.

They dig sleeping holes.

they dig cooling off holes in damp/wet soil.

They didg dens for whelping.

They dig to bury bones.

they dig just to explore .

They love it!

Edited by persephone

As a side note...digging is fun!

I'm not surprised that your pooch has discovered it...and I'll bet $500 he'll keep doing it until he's bored of it, or finds something else even more fun to do. (Or...as some have suggested, he's figured out that digging = not-fun squirt of water, or whatever...but this is harder for you as you haven't been able to catch him doing it).

Good luck getting a digging clam or making an area where he is allowed to be all doggy like... If you're upkeeping the rest of the house as best you can, on time with rent etc etc, a reasonable landlord/property manager will understand that when it comes to moving out time, a resonable tenant will do everything they can to 'fix' things (read: the grass..which grows mind you! And is at the back so passerbys can't see it) to ensure getting their bond back.

I would fill the holes, put some turf in, cover them with mesh so he can't dig them and buy him a sandpit, Bunnings had a heap when I was in there the otherday. Put lots of fun things in it like bones, treats etc so he digs in it and get a reward. Can you keep him in one section of the yard where there is less he can destroy??? If he is getting lots of walks and mental stimulation he may be doing it just because it is fun. Many kongs stuffed with something, treat balls, toys (and rotate them so he has different ones each day).

I think if you do the best you can to repair his holes and the rest of the property is looked after then your landlord may not be really happy but I am sure will cope. Anyone that has a dog realises dogs are dogs and sometimes they dig holes. If you allowed him to turn it into a moonscape that would be different.