Pekingese

quesada

I'm no expert but do admire the breed from afar. I'd say a challenge with them would be keeping them cool - depending on where you live of course! And general soundness. They are gorgeous little dogs, so full of character and life. If I was looking for one personally I would be wary of too much coat, so much that it hinders movement and general lifestyle would be too much for me.

I've never owned a Peke but when I was a kid, some good friends had four of them. Yeh, she had one, and they bred it (pure bred) and when it came tome to sell the pups, she found resaons why everyone that came along would not be a good owner.

So she ended up with all four of them. :rofl:

They are small, cute, sniffly/snorting things that sneeze all over you all the time. :D

I loved visisting them, but not my choice of breed. :rofl:

Oh - I never noticed them having too much trouble with the heat - apart from a fair bit of panting going on, but they always did that.. No air con in those days.

But they were inside/shaded. I don't think full sun would have been a good idea.

Edited by noisymina

I too admired them from afar....and then I had to have one. :) Toby is 7 mths now, here are some baby pics. I love the brushing, but it is so hard keeping him clean with a house full of pug hair. Cos their bellies are practically on the ground it wears everything. But they are such characters....all he does is run flat out around the house and do skids on the floor boards. Our Pugs are in ya face, and Toby is in their face lol....he would run full on up to any dog and bark in their face.

We love him to bits.

post-1158-1289387015_thumb.jpg

Check out the DOL Breed page for Pekes - plenty of info there and then check out some of the breeders, their websites and info.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/community/pekingese.asp

Also check out the breeds sub forum section.

Fantastic little dogs, full of character and life but not big on the obedience side of things. When you think Peke, think single minded, determined little critters who march to their own drum! :) Very Oriental!

Enjoy!

Edited by ashaflynn

Hi I have a 4 year old pure bred fully reg male. He is my baby I keep him clipped short as he has a lot of probs with the heat (almost lost him to heat stroke) and no one ever told him he was supposed to be a lap dog so he runs around outside rolling in the mud lol. He has just had surgery for a ruptured sylivary gland. He believes he is as big and as brave as a Rotti and defends us just as well as one. There a great breed to have just make sure you get one from a breeder as they do have some probs.

Not very common - huge personality, and marvellous temperament. Very clever, not your typical obedience dog, and the ones I know are happy to be lap dogs, but they are doers too. Good with kids, but have a good sense of their own importance. Don't think heat is a huge problem, but not the dog to be locked outside in summer. Be aware that long coat + brachycephalic MAY equal problems on really hot days, and be prepared to work around it.

Ideal for someone who knows dogs, and can offer a lot of attention, and an inside home.

Good registered breeder only. I don't think Pekinese are particularly loved by puppy farms, but I have heard of a few, so be sure you buy from someone who understands how the standard comes together, and the breed generally. And maybe do as much reading as possible.

Definatly don't have owwners. I'm a slave, servant, cook, groomer, taxi driver, beautician and hey snort you pay attention to me or i'll snot ya. Even the rotti is well trained to my peke he is supreme being and no is allowed to forget it.

Definatly don't have owwners. I'm a slave, servant, cook, groomer, taxi driver, beautician and hey snort you pay attention to me or i'll snot ya. Even the rotti is well trained to my peke he is supreme being and no is allowed to forget it.

Your peke knows he was born to be an aristocrat.

By chance, I found this in a 2009 interview of the current Tibetan spiritual leader, Gonsar Rinpoche (selected by the Dalai Lama).

I was born into a Tibetan aristocratic family. Most of these families keep Tibetan Spaniels. Pekingese dogs are also popular with aristocrats. The dogs are treated as members of the family and often sleep in the bed of their owner; my dogs sleep in my bed with me.

He says that the Tibetan name for a Pekingese is 'Gya Khyi'.

Thanks all again...some great responses. I have Persian cats, so the grooming and special care during the hotter months is not new to me. Surprisingly my Persians are very active and chase each other through the house at high speed! :laugh:

The lady who taught me to groom dogs adopted one from the pound that was unfortunately mistreated when he was younger, he had a bit of brain damage and used to run around with his tongue hanging out. He was the best little dog and ruled the roost. Such a clown.

He also suffered from the heat and had to be clipped off in summer. They are definitely on my "to own one day" list. :laugh:

Pekes don't have owners, they have slaves. :laugh:

Mine has only recently allowed me to lead him in the front yard....I am hoping he will allow me this honour in the show ring next week....other wise he will get the accelades from the crowd again at how important he is, again. ♥

Hi there, I would love to read some info about Pekingese - temperament, any special care needs, etc.

Thanks in anticipation. :thumbsup:

Hi,

Many years ago we owned 4 pekes, not by design(found 2 seperately as strays, didn't realise the bitch wasn't desexed and kept the resultant 2 pups). Fantastic character, were a real family unit. As you can imagine, regular grooming and washing was essential- you need to do a bottom check every time they come inside, and if necessary wash off their trousers, particularly after loose bowel motions. As they aged, they found the Sydney humidity very hard to cope with, and struggled for breath at times. I loved them dearly but they are high maintenance -- my next dog was a GSP with no coat to manage! I trained 2 of the Pekes in obedience but they only have 2 paces, a rolling walk and a run, and I was forever being told by judges and instructors to make my dogs trot. They were clever and fast to learn but could be incredibly stubborn -- after I reprimanded the bitch for chewing a dumbell she refused to ever retrieve again. Now, with positive reward based training I am sure this would not be a problem. It's not unusual for them to live for 15 years, so a huge chunk of your life goes when they die, and since the last year or two can be very sad with heart problems etc, and still living with Sydney humidity, I don't think I could own a Peke again.

cheers

Fantastic little dogs, full of character and life but not big on the obedience side of things. When you think Peke, think single minded, determined little critters who march to their own drum! :) Very Oriental!

Enjoy!

I have to disagree about the obedience. I trained several pekes up to trialing standard when I was breeding them in the 80's-90's. They were very easy to train & eager to work. Sadly, divorce stopped me from trialing them but I think that they would have got their titles easily.

Several have got their obedience titles in Australia & I know of one in America that went through to UD.

The biggest problem I had was the inability of the older peke breeders in Victoria being unable to accept that they could be trained for anything but showing.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=43981

http://www.thepekingeseclubofamerica.com/p...t%20a%20toy.htm

Edited by raafy