My Husband Wants Me To Re-home Ollie

HugUrPup

He also said that loose fur can irritate the skin, but it's not an actual allergy unless we get hives from touching him, which we don't.

Incorrect. People can get asthma from pets without hives.

Allergy symptoms range from asthma, sore eyes, vomiting, swelling of mouth & face only, hyperactivety, aggression or hives

A blood test is a correct diagnosis to start with & may assist in the cause of your sons eczema/asthma even if it is not the dog.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't joined this thread until now, because it seems such a sad story.

But I have to agree with Christina. Over the years, I've had my dogs and countless ones coming and going, you'd think I'd be immune, but every so often, after and during a visit to the vets, I will get the coughs and sneezes and runny nose and eyes. This makes me think that some reactions (maybe most, I have no way of knowing) are specific dog related, or specific breed and really, once you start thinking about it, there are so many variables: shampoo, conditioner, doggy perfumes, etc etc.

I hope a solution other than rehoming Ollie can be found.

Anne, he does have a lions main.

Christina, the doctor didn't offer an allergy test, but I will go back next week and demand one.

There is a self service doggy wash in the Basin, so I will go there and try it out. If that doesn't do the trick I'll go into Lilydale :mad

Edited by puggerup

Anne, he does have a lions main.

Christina, the doctor didn't offer an allergy test, but I will go back next week and demand one.

There is a self service doggy wash in the Basin, so I will go there and try it out. If that doesn't do the trick I'll go into Lilydale :mad

so what did he talk about? Why didn't you ask for one?

The Dr would be noticing the increase in patients showing the same symptoms of seasonal allergy and would likely treat you the same. You should definitely go through proper allergy testing at a later stage just to confirm but it sounds like what he said. It's a bad time of year and it's the worst in 10 years. I am seeing so many of my workmates and family with allergies atm. It's crazy.

I would still have your son tested when you've got time, as the others have said. It's nice to rule it out. Some allergies will get worse and I suppose you'd want to know for absolute certainty he is not allergic to dog dander.

I bath/blow dry my long haired dog in molting season approx. fortnightly and not because he is dirty or stinky but it's just easier to blow out the coat and get the rest with the furminator! :rainbowbridge:

Unfortunately, if one is "generally allergic" as I am described, one is pretty well allergic to anything that blows in the door.

Most of the time, I've kept the animals outside - very near to us as we have a slab-on-ground house with shelter at the kitchen/family room door.

Now the boys are grown and Kaisie is getting "on", she's wiggled into the family room and now gets to sleep inside.

The bedrooms, however, are a strict no go zone for animals. I'm planning to look into an air purifier for the bedroom area. :rainbowbridge:

Hard floors all round - ducted vacuum and wet mop regularly.

But the pollen, grasses and, more likely, the fungii spores are still going to cause havoc - animals or no animals.

I still believe the Poodle was the best dog I've had allergy wise. Although I still used to get a bit of a raction to her saliva. But that can be largely avoided with some care. :rofl:

My son's eczema and lips have cleared up. I am pretty sure now it was from rolling in the grass when we went to Maroondah dam last weekend. He has been around the dogs a lot since then but his lips still cleared.

My asthma is still bad though. The doctor thinks it's still from the pneumonia though and that it can take 6 months to properly recover.

My son's eczema and lips have cleared up. I am pretty sure now it was from rolling in the grass when we went to Maroondah dam last weekend. He has been around the dogs a lot since then but his lips still cleared.

Ehh, I spent about 2 hours (walking only) in a park with seeding Rye grass about 2 foot high last week and I was miserable for the rest of the day and evening, and sneezed for about 2 days afterward as well.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

My asthma is still bad though. The doctor thinks it's still from the pneumonia though and that it can take 6 months to properly recover.

Um..yeh.

You've had a bit to deal with.

Even viruses can spark off the Asthma if there is already an underlying allergy issue.

So Pneumonia sure would not help.

My sympathies. I am allergic to dog hair also. It's nothing to be sneezed at (sorry - bad pun) - it can actually make your life really miserable.

I love (seriously - LOVE) lots of breeds. But I can only live with low-allergy breeds like my poodle x and my bichon. But there are lots of low allergy breeds - at different sizes and with different temperaments. So there is still some choice available - just a bit more limited.

I go into denial sometimes too. Maybe I can have a kelpie. Maybe I can have an Aussie Shepherd. Maybe I can have a Flat Coated Retriever, or a Welsh Springer. All breeds I absolutely love.

But then I come back down to earth when I spend a few hours around them. I really can't. I get itchy. And sneezy. And irritable. It's not good.

If you do need to rehome your dog, he will be fine. I have a poodle x I got from the pound and she loves me lots. It's not wrong to do to them, so long as you find them a good home.

Your health, and your family's health, are also important. While it is hard to hear, and even harder to accept, your husband makes an important point.