Names For A Show Dog

EmiLeigh

I got to pick all of my dogs show names.

The breeder had named our first boy Benson and it really suited him so we kept it, but one look at him and the name Darktown Strutter jumped into my mind and stuck. So when we were asked what we'd like his registered name to be I offered up that suggestion and I still love it. It suits him as much as his everyday name does.

My next pup was a girl and when the breeder asked what we wanted to register her as, we tossed around a few ideas but didn't really have any themes to stick to, or words the breeder wanted in there. So we decided we'd go for an Australian-American theme as that is what our household is. Her everyday name is Dusty, after Slim Dusty....I think he is an Australian legend and I loved the name. She is registered as Tahoe Rose.....for Lake Tahoe which is one of my American husbands favourite places...and Rose is for her dam who was Amber Rose.

Puppy number three came from the same breeder as girl puppy and once again we got to name him, but this time we had a theme we needed to stick to. Puppy's sire was named Twister and was killed tragically when the litter was two weeks old so to honour him, the entire litter were to be registered with Twist in their names.

Immediately we settled on Twist of Fate, because had it not been for a certain chain of events, this beautiful little guy would be someone elses. His everyday name is Isaak because we just liked it, and three of us tossed around various names til we all tried that one out and decided it fit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boy is Kiss Chasey (it was a kiss theme, originally he was Kiss N Tell but I didn't really like it (this was at 4 weeks before they were registered) and mum came up with the alternative. It suits him :D

My foundation bitch is Magic Moments, her litter was a magic theme (dam is Twistof Magic), I'm not keen on her name even after 3 and a half years but it certainly fits given her success. I could have named her but didn't settle on a name I liked in time lol so left it upto the breeder.

My first homebred puppy is Raise Thebar which can work both ways ;) if she fails at life it is a kick up my bum to breed a better puppy, if she continues her puppyhood success, then she has 'raised the bar'. Her siblings are (all pets): You Really Got Me (call name Lola after the Kinks song- she got a kink in her tail after her mum squashed it! Which disappeared after a few months lol), Looking Glass Lass (call name Alice), Callahan (call name Harry, as in Dirty Harry), Indiana Jones (call name Indi- he belongs to a young boy who was SO IMPRESSED that his 'official' name is after his hero), and Lite My Fire (call name Scout). All but the last were named by their new families, the registrations went in before Scout was sold so her owner didn't get to chose. I just liked it, and she was a fiesty little girl!!!

Honestly, I couldn't be bothered with a theme and as most of the litter was sold before the regos went in, it was no trouble to ask what the families wanted the dogs registered as. Most pet owners probably don't care but it was something I enjoyed having a say in so I wanted to give my buyers the same opportunity. Having said that I may do a theme next litter.

Sorry, I'm no help with naming your pup lol. But Nala is a gorgeous name :o ooh if it is from The Lion King, what about Hakuna Matata??

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Love all the names you have picked out for your dogs too.

I really like the idea someone had above for Hakuna Matata..

Then it inspired me to come up with Lion King themes:

Hakuna Matata

Can you feel the love (or even just Feel the Love - feel the love tonight is too long)

Circle of life

Nala's Pride

Nala's gift (nala means gift in swahili)

Perfect Harmony (from the chorus of 'Can you feel the love tonight')

Lion Sleeps Tonight

What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Honestly, I couldn't be bothered with a theme and as most of the litter was sold before the regos went in, it was no trouble to ask what the families wanted the dogs registered as. Most pet owners probably don't care but it was something I enjoyed having a say in so I wanted to give my buyers the same opportunity. Having said that I may do a theme next litter.

I never got to have any input into Ruby's registered name :laugh: Breeder didn't ask me and I didn't think to ask her, but I am sure had I asked she would have let me, as she had no theme she stuck to. I was just a pet buyer who didn't really have an understanding of the names until after she came home, so the breeder did it for me. I hope my next pup the breeder will let me have some input into the name, that is an enjoyable part of getting a new puppy! :cheer: Especially when my dog's registered names actually get used as we compete in dog sports :laugh:

Sorry to the OP, I have no suggestions :thumbsup:

Edited by RubyStar

I never got to have any input into Ruby's registered name :laugh: Breeder didn't ask me and I didn't think to ask her, but I am sure had I asked she would have let me, as she had no theme she stuck to. I was just a pet buyer who didn't really have an understanding of the names until after she came home, so the breeder did it for me. I hope my next pup the breeder will let me have some input into the name, that is an enjoyable part of getting a new puppy! :cheer: Especially when my dog's registered names actually get used as we compete in dog sports :laugh:

Sorry to the OP, I have no suggestions :thumbsup:

Certainly doesn't hurt to ask! :laugh:

Even if I do go with a theme next time I will offer the buyers (of the pups sold before I register them of course) the chance to pick something in that theme. However if someone had their heart set on s specific name I wouldn't have any problems with that either.

Prefix Sahara Sweetheart

Prefix Th Lions Share

Prefix African Queen

I chose a few of my dogs pedigree names.

Fatal Attraction was one of a few his breeder had already picked for the litter.

I always wanted a show dog called Fatal Attraction so it seemed like fate to me.

I picked my bitches name. Her breeder wanted a dream theme and as luck would have it my favourite song is called Ever Dream so that became her name.

My other dogs name was picked by his breeder, she went with a Y theme, Yngvie Dexterson (Dexter is his fathers pet name, hence Dexter son)

I'm hoping I can pick the name for my next bitch.

I've narrowed it down to :

White Night Fantasy

Hardrock Hallelujah

Suspiria Snow White

Race The Light

I like to name my dogs after songs or bands.

Prefix Sahara Sweetheart

Prefix Th Lions Share

Prefix African Queen

Fatal Attraction was one of a few his breeder had already picked for the litter.

I always wanted a show dog called Fatal Attraction so it seemed like fate to me.

I picked my bitches name. Her breeder wanted a dream theme and as luck would have it my favourite song is called Ever Dream so that became her name.

My other dogs name was picked by his breeder, she went with a Y theme, Yngvie Dexterson (Dexter is his fathers pet name, hence Dexter son)

White Night Fantasy

Hardrock Hallelujah

Suspiria Snow White

Race The Light

Eurovision? :mad (But I do love Eurovision, just not that particluar song! :) )

Prefix Sahara Sweetheart

Prefix Th Lions Share

Prefix African Queen

White Night Fantasy

Hardrock Hallelujah

Suspiria Snow White

Race The Light

Eurovision? :mad (But I do love Eurovision, just not that particluar song! :laugh: )

:)

Yeah maybe a bit of a Eurovision fan :shrug:

But I really love the band Lordi, they have some awesome songs

Prefix Sahara Sweetheart

Prefix Th Lions Share

Prefix African Queen

White Night Fantasy

Hardrock Hallelujah

Suspiria Snow White

Race The Light

Maybe we will follow your footsteps and name ours after our fav songs.

Can't seem to convince my partner of Hakuna Matata, though personally I think it is perfect and would have LOVED a Lion King theme. :rofl:

'our' song when we first got together was One Wish by some RnB singer that was remixed. It was a terrible song, but the lyrics meant something to us.

So maybe we could call her

(prefix) If I Could Have One Wish (this, including the prefix and spaces would make it exactly 30 characters!)

or

(prefix) One Wish

thoughts? :rainbowbridge:

Maybe we will follow your footsteps and name ours after our fav songs.

Can't seem to convince my partner of Hakuna Matata, though personally I think it is perfect and would have LOVED a Lion King theme. :rofl:

'our' song when we first got together was One Wish by some RnB singer that was remixed. It was a terrible song, but the lyrics meant something to us.

So maybe we could call her

(prefix) If I Could Have One Wish (this, including the prefix and spaces would make it exactly 30 characters!)

or

(prefix) One Wish

thoughts? :rainbowbridge:

Very hard to give a definitive answer without knowing the prefix. By that I mean, when I say it with one of my prefixes, it sounds ok, but when I say it with the other, it sounds terrible. Don't forget to pay attention to how it actually SOUNDS rolling off your tongue, not just how it looks on paper.

From the ANKC rules and regulations. http://www.ankc.org.au/Regulations-1.aspx

Use of words in the name of a dog:

6.1.1 The following are not to be used in the name of a dog:

“imp”

hyphens

apostrophes

Roman Numerals

However, numbers written as a word are permissible provided it is clear that

it does not represent a numerical sequence. (Admin. 07/98) (Amended

05/02)

6.1.2 The registered prefix of a breeder must be attached to the name of every

animal bred by them and such prefix shall be deemed to be part of the name.

No name, including the prefix, shall exceed twenty-four (24) spaces to be

used as letters or spaces. This will be increased to thirty (30) spaces when

the ANKC Computer is modified to take thirty (30) spaces. (05/00) (10/06,

6.1.2) - (Implementation still pending)

6.1.3 No word that is in the nature of a known prefix and no prefix except the

breeder’s registered prefix may be used in a dog’s name. (10/07, 7.4)

Congratulation on your DDB, I have recently brought my own first show DDB puppy aswell and its my beautiful baby. I still have to get it to stop biting me and the kids, so she will be attending puppy school very soon *YEEPEE*, i can't really think of a prefix but i just recently chose mine as redblaze. Maybe you can choose:

1. Diamond Dogue

2. Ranger Dogue

3. Top Dogue

I know how it feels to choose a name, but i hope you will soon.

Cheers,

RedBlaze