Names For A Show Dog

EmiLeigh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your breeders have asked you to think of something, they will choose the name.

They asked us to choose a name. Hence my asking. We are keeping the kennel name. We just need to choose the next bit.

Most pedigree dogs have a name based on something from their parents registered or pet names if the breeder doesn't just choose a theme for the whole litter. So hard for anyone to make a suggestion without knowing who the parents are.

I have heard some very complicated, unusual names at times. Some breeders go for the unusual or different and some go for simple and easy.

I once had a Welsh Mountain Pony who we called 'Hobo' but his registered name was '(prefix) Pin Dragon Arthur'

The breeders of my Dobe went with a simple letter theme. He is from the 'c' litter so his registered name is '(prefix) Condor', all his littermates have names starting with the letter 'C'. I would have been happy with that name but we had already picked out 'Acheron' as the name for our next Dobe.

I think you should go with whatever theme you like. You are very lucky to be able to pick a registered name for your baby! :D

Unless your breeders have asked you to think of something, they will choose the name.

They asked us to choose a name. Hence my asking. We are keeping the kennel name. We just need to choose the next bit.

:D You HAVE to keep the kennel name....otherwise known as the Kennel Prefix. I'd be asking what the parents' names are or if the breeder has a particular theme in mind.

Remember that whatever you choose, it will become a permanent part of your dogs' registration and once registered, cannot be changed without some difficulty IF at all.

You can choose a name up to 30 characters long, including spaces and breeders' kennel prefix. You aren't allowed to have common names, numerals or punctuation as part of the name.

Guest belgian.blue

I got to pick my Pointers reg name but he is limited only. There was no theme, just whatever I wanted him to be and Astro Boy was it :D

I'd pick something that you think would suit her in the show ring, something attention getting and different from the rest?

Sorry Parkeyre, each to their own and all that stuff...but honestly, that's a tad wanky IMO. :rofl:

After 24 years experience with registering show names, the LAST thing anybody wants to register their first ever show dog with is a name that could easily be proven wrong, and in some cases could be said to be somewhat of a jinx! :D

Far safer to stick with a theme or even take something from the parents' names, especially for a newbie. :)

I recently named my show puppy. I already had her call name picked out, so wanted to stick to that theme. So maybe pick something in relation to Lion King (if thats where Nala came from :D)

My puppy's name is 'Jovi' and her show name is Sherbrooke Living On A Prayer. Fit in well and I really love it :)

We just got our first show dog. Very exciting! She is a Dogue de Bordeaux.

We have never given a dog a pedrigree name before and were wanting some ideas.

We will be calling her Nala as her everyday name.

Thanks

:D

Given it's a Douge- Spit Happens, Sorry couldn't help myself I'v shown a couple and always end up covered in spit kisses.

Maybe name her Strawberry Kisses

Good Luck with your new girl

Cheers Lee