1. 1. I use Facebook for

• Sharing pictures of my dogs
    • Networking with other dog show people esp internationally
    • Finding out show results
    • Keeping in touch with show friends
    • Finding out who is going to which show
    • Finding out who is judging where
    • Bragging
    • Personal announcements - eg explaining why I'm not at a show/quitting an office holder role/not able to fulfil an appointment etc
    • Breed/pedigree groups
    • Breed club/Show Club groups
    • Seeing photos of other people's dogs, esp those I might want to incorporate in my program
    • Other - explain in comments
    • I'm not on Facebook
  2. 2. I have seen FB used for

• Accurate bragging about results
    • Misleading bragging about results
    • Outright fibbing about results
    • Spamming photos of dogs and results prior to a show when the judge is on the friends list
    • Rumour spreading
    • Shutting down rumours
    • General politics
    • None of the above
    • I'm not on Facebook
  3. 3. I think Facebook is..

• A great tool for dog showing
    • Worse than the pointscores
    • People keep telling me to join and I probably will
    • Something to be avoided at all costs

Seen a few things on Facebook recently that confirmed my view that it should be treated as a completely unregulated environment when it comes to dog show stuff. By that I mean that OzShow and DOL are moderated, and the Pointscores are subject to various kinds of verification of results but on Facebook you can say anything you like, and delete any comment that doesn't support you.

I don't have anything against unregulated environments as long as I'm not the one paying their lawyers and media team - but they need to be handled with a more skeptical eye.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

I have only had positive stuff so far, have seen the odd 'off' comments, but only a few.

I think the personalities that are attracted to the serious character assassination IRL, will gravitate towards each other and I imagine venemous messaging would be a fixture.

Like cyber bullying by phone in schools, there will always be a pool of people who will use FB (& other portals) as an outlet for their devious little minds.

Private yahoo groups have been used in that manner for years, both with & without moderation.

I limit my 'friends' on FB to those who are a positive part of my life, weather it be in dogs or other facets. Not just to limit my exposure to bullying ect. But the trivia information overload !

fifi

I see it as no worse then anything that goes on IRL. As with anything, if you are after FACTS, then it is up to you to go to the source and check them for yourself. Show results are often available on other websites for checking up the results.

There are positives and negatives to all forms of social networking, be they online or IRL.

Many people seem to use FB as a place to advertise their dogs but I see this as being no different to advertising in magazines or newspapers. The difference is that you don't have to have a healthy advertising budget to afford it so it is available to everybody who cares to use it in that way.

I find it useful to keep in touch with show folk I know, to talk to others in my breeds of interest and to hear of show results, litters etc

I don't consider it any more or less reliable than any other form of social networking. You do end up with a bit of a feel for the character of people and I find that quite helpful. :thumbsup:

I find it useful to keep in touch with show folk I know, to talk to others in my breeds of interest and to hear of show results, litters etc

I don't consider it any more or less reliable than any other form of social networking. You do end up with a bit of a feel for the character of people and I find that quite helpful. :laugh:

:thumbsup::walkdog: Agree 100%

In regards to the bit I've bolded - love it cause I've seen someone show their true colors and it was utterly awesome that others saw what they're honestly like :rofl:

I don't consider it any more or less reliable than any other form of social networking. You do end up with a bit of a feel for the character of people and I find that quite helpful. :rofl:

:thumbsup::walkdog: Agree 100%

In regards to the bit I've bolded - love it cause I've seen someone show their true colors and it was utterly awesome that others saw what they're honestly like :eat:

It can be quite illuminating. :laugh:

I find it usefull as a means to keep in contact with showies overseas, see who's doing what and a great way to find dogs for future breeding programs (saves me all the effort of googling overseas breeders)

There are a few people who like to big note themselves a lot but you learn who they are pretty fast.

Person A goes on and on and on about how brilliant their dog is, it wins everything, itäs the best thing in the ring, it's a MBIG winning dog and it just got Jr in Group!

Person B quietly mentions to you that they were also at that show and person A had the only Jr there.

It happens all the time, in every type of media. On facebook you just get it more day to day.

In the end though, as a free media source I believe it does more good then harm.

Remember there is always a delete button :o

Edt to make a point more clearly, I was rambling a little......

Edited by Bjelkier

I think its a great networking tool.

The point about spamming with results and pictures to try and grab the attention of upcoming judges on your friends list is a foreign concept to me. But anyway, isn't this what happens in magazines that most of the judges get for free anyway?

I'm not complaining or praising either way - just agreeing with becks that you can't rely on it at face value. I think it's a great tool and I find it more useful than irritating.

I think its a great networking tool.

The point about spamming with results and pictures to try and grab the attention of upcoming judges on your friends list is a foreign concept to me. But anyway, isn't this what happens in magazines that most of the judges get for free anyway?

This is interesting, I'm still working out what I think about it. I think it's widely considered that emailing a judge with photos before an appointment is not on. I know people do it anyway, but I think there is general consensus that that is trying to influence the judge. Some judges I know also take themselves off breed email lists in the months prior to an appointment, some don't.

I agree with Ellz that FB makes advertising more available to people without money, and I think that equalising effect is great if you agree advertising has a role in the sport. However, while most people accept print advertising and don't accept the "direct marketing" of an email, I think the FB stuff sits somewhere in between the two. A friends list is not public like a magazine, but neither is it particularly private like an email - particularly not if like me you add anyone with a Saluki in their photo and anyone you recognise from the Oz dog show scene.

Person A goes on and on about how brilliant their dog is, it wins everything, it's a MBIG winning dog and it just got Jr in Group!

Person B quietly mentions to you that they were also at that show and person A had the only Jr there.

I got told early on never to qualify results by saying "only one there" but my own personal guideline is don't post it unless you beat someone to get it. I posted something recently where my boy was the only one entered in a particular property class, but I made that clear and whinged about the lack of competition :o

I agree with you that you have to just move on to the next post. Apart from anything else, if it looks small minded to point it out - some people go with "how many were entered?" to say the same thing, but that also looks a bit small minded.

I agree, but at least with facebook, you also have the option to take things privately or to chat if you really feel the need. You don't get that kind of instant "gratification" from the print media OR from a personal website for that matter.

For my part, I tend to use it as somewhere that I can catch most of my good friends together at one time and as a place where I can share photos of my world, including the people and animals in it.

Many times I have questioned if I should keep doing so, wondering if my world is boring to my "Friends" but recent feedback from unexpected sources has told me that others really enjoy sharing my world with me. Especially those from other parts of the world to whom anything new from Australia and particularly Tasmania is a real novelty.

It's amazing how many dog show folk, who in other situations probably wouldn't have a lot in common with me have expressed their delight in common interests or ways of life. THAT'S a good dog show networking thing I think! :o

Recently Portia won a 6 point BOB.

And this is what I put on FB, so I wasn't fooling anyone by saying she had a lot of competition. One person anyway said 'doesn't that mean she's the only one there?'. Still, the judge could have refused her.

:o I hear you. By nature I tend to downplay wins anyway. I'll have a teensy brag but usually put in how many were entered or how many I beat in a class or if there was only me for the Reserve or CC or whatever. I figure that if I don't, somebody else will and I'd rather it come from me than from somebody being a smartarse and trying to belittle me. doG knows I do that well enough for myself! :cry:

Person A goes on and on about how brilliant their dog is, it wins everything, it's a MBIG winning dog and it just got Jr in Group!

I got told early on never to qualify results by saying "only one there" but my own personal guideline is don't post it unless you beat someone to get it. I posted something recently where my boy was the only one entered in a particular property class, but I made that clear and whinged about the lack of competition :thumbsup:

I agree with you that you have to just move on to the next post. Apart from anything else, if it looks small minded to point it out - some people go with "how many were entered?" to say the same thing, but that also looks a bit small minded.

Sorry if I made it sound like I was complaining about people winning....

Offcause no one should feel bad about being able to win even with small comp, hell a wins a win.

My point simply was that on facebook you get it every day not just once or twice a month and those that do bignote themselves all the time, to the point of going over the top in some cases, do tend to rub some people up the wrong way and then you get the how many entered questions and such like.....

Edited by Bjelkier

I love it.

I live vicariously through the great photos and news posted by those in the Southern States.

Love to see who's winning and what's out there.

I can keep my boys breeder up to date with his wins and have bragged about my guys. I'm proud of them so usually brag everywhere hahahaha

I have seen the normal nasty comments or under the table comments that are really so obtuse an outsider wouldn't have a clue what is going on. The funniest thing I saw was someone who congratulates in one sentence and then in the very next is basically saying they only won because xyz wasn't there HAHA

Offcause no one should feel bad about being able to win even with small comp, hell a wins a win.

I didn't read it as a complaint, sorry if my reply came over that way.

I know the type of thing you mean, and I think there is a difference between a newbie proud of their first ribbon and an old hand who regularly spams everyone.

I didn't read it as a complaint, sorry if my reply came over that way.

I know the type of thing you mean, and I think there is a difference between a newbie proud of their first ribbon and an old hand who regularly spams everyone.

No no, it was me reading it wrong.

I smashed my head on the fridge the other day and Ive been reading and writing things incorrectly since :thumbsup:

And what you say is very true to the point I was trying to make :laugh:

I HAD facebook, until two days ago I deactivated my account. It is changing the way we communicate with people, especially when there is an issue - it seemed deleting a friend of facebook IS the way to end the friendship instead of the good ol pick up a phone or catch up and chat about whatever the issue is!

I originally signed up so I could keep in touch with friends and family, and so we could share photos.. It went on to add lots of show related people, locally, interstate and internationally.

It was good for seeing different things around the world. I have now spoken to many westie people all over the world and think its great!

I have used it to share brags/wins...

I have also seen people put up the wrong kind of information about wins, and other rubbish

I have also noted one particular judge that was coming to WA deleting WA people off their FB page, which I can see would of been a good idea... I wonder how many people have tried to add them again after their judging appt....

At the end of the day, most of the judges will do their own thing, who are we to say who they can and cant have on FB and that that is going to influence their opinion...

Guest CaptainCourageous

A while ago my sister wanted to share photos of her Tassie holiday with us, and sent out a link to a Facebook album.

Now I have 750ish friends from around the world.

It's 95% good.

It is a communication pathway that can be very useful.

It is a "clunky" application sometimes. It also changes now and again, which means it needs to be re-evaluated against what it is on the day.

The "PetPaws" app was fun!

CC