Rspca Accountability

Steve

Steve just wondering before I print was it the Vic one that you needed to change to number each signature?

I am going to try not sure how much use I will be but even a 100 extra would help right?

We went looking for the numbering thing but decided not to worry about it yet. If thats what's needed we will simply number them when they come in.

I hope there are 100,000 and I have to bring ina team to number them :rofl: .

Yes you're right even one is good.

When presenting it to friends, perhaps phrase it like this:

"Even the police have a body to oversee all the amazing work they do and to make sure that everything is done by the book... this is what we are asking for in regards to the RSPCA. We think they do some incredible work but without anyone keeping watch over them, there can be individuals within the organisation who will take advantage of it, as with everything in life."

I haven't printed out a copy because I'm not physically in contact with enough people to sign but this is definitely how I'd be presenting it to people if I was asking for signatures.

Ashanali that's the plan. Dog people will no doubt get covered but what about the average pet person or even someone who doesn't own dogs anymore? So that's what I'm looking at in my circle of Lion's club contacts etc as they're people who are less likely to be exposed to it.

Thanks Steve. I'll print and get cracking.

I've read the Animal Care & Protection Act Qld (2001) with its description of the responsibility chain for RSPCA Inspectors to the chief executive of the relevant government dpt. And with its setting out of subsequent review & appeals processes, both internal & external. With the addition of appeals via the external body QCAT (Qld Civil & Administrative Tribunal) set up by legislation in 2009.

I'm satisfied with this Qld situation, so won't be signing the petition.

I've read the Animal Care & Protection Act Qld (2001) with its description of the responsibility chain for RSPCA Inspectors to the chief executive of the relevant government dpt. And with its setting out of subsequent review & appeals processes, both internal & external. With the addition of appeals via the external body QCAT (Qld Civil & Administrative Tribunal) set up by legislation in 2009.

I'm satisfied with this Qld situation, so won't be signing the petition.

mita do you have links that i can look at? maybe QLD could be used as a model?

Google Animal Care & Protection Act Qld (2001). Pull up the PDF file & read it. You'll find an Index to guide you.

The QCAT Act that is mentioned as one source of external appeal, can also be located by just googling Civil & Administrative Tribunal Qld.

There used to be a plain English version of this legislated appeal process on the (then) Dpt of Primary Industries Qld website.

IMO all legislation that affects people should be available somewhere in a plain English version. We need to be able to understand the laws that affect us.

JB, I don't know about Qld being a model. Every state has to go back & look at what its basic animal cruelty law says. Appeals/reviews need to be built into that. And it also depends on what other external appeal bodies already are in a particular state.

The addition of the QCAT body in Qld is new. Time & use will tell.

Edited by mita

Google Animal Care & Protection Act Qld (2001). Pull up the PDF file & read it. You'll find an Index to guide you.

The QCAT Act that is mentioned as one source of external appeal, can also be located by just googling Civil & Administrative Tribunal Qld.

There used to be a plain English version of this legislated appeal process on the (then) Dpt of Primary Industries Qld website.

IMO all legislation that affects people should be available somewhere in a plain English version. We need to be able to understand the laws that affect us.

JB, I don't know about Qld being a model. Every state has to go back & look at what its basic animal cruelty law says. Appeals/reviews need to be built into that. And it also depends on what other external appeal bodies already are in a particular state.

The addition of the QCAT body in Qld is new. Time & use will tell.

txs mita good point about the model, do you know if has anyone used the qld appeals process yet?

QCAT - Says it handles complaints with Animal care

Under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 decisions about registration, using an animal for scientific purposes, disclosure exemption applications and giving an animal welfare direction.

Thats not quite what we mean.

QCAT - Says it handles complaints with Animal care

Under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 decisions about registration, using an animal for scientific purposes, disclosure exemption applications and giving an animal welfare direction.

Thats not quite what we mean.

yes i think the rspca can still enter properties without a warrant and can euthanise animals prior to the court process being finalised and their is no appeal against the process and no external watchdog who hears administrative appeals.

mita do you know whether this is correct?

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

If you go here and read this submission - its pertaining to NSW but the issues relating to prosecutions are relavant

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parl...A25774B0025EC3A

and that is why i WILL sign the petition

is it this one your referring to?

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parl...on%20No%202.pdf

best piece of writing you could wish for isnt it. AND he cant be accused of being a stupid hysterical either.

That's is very interesting asal, thanks for posting it. I note too that it comes from exactly the right place, someone who knows and has experience and has worked with both the RSPCA and the force. There is a problem and it is a very serious one because it involves the basic rights of every person in the country.

That's is very interesting asal, thanks for posting it. I note too that it comes from exactly the right place, someone who knows and has experience and has worked with both the RSPCA and the force. There is a problem and it is a very serious one because it involves the basic rights of every person in the country.

YES :(:) :)

If you go here and read this submission - its pertaining to NSW but the issues relating to prosecutions are relavant

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parl...A25774B0025EC3A

and that is why i WILL sign the petition

is it this one your referring to?

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/Prod/parl...on%20No%202.pdf

best piece of writing you could wish for isnt it. AND he cant be accused of being a stupid hysterical either.

Yep thats it. there are some good ones there too - response from Steve Coleman on their accountability and another on their procedures. Its takes a while to work through them all but there is some good info there.