How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

Hi Danielle & Raz,

big fluffy dogs don't mean you get away without good manners.

you're missing the point. Just say "no or not right now" not " have you clean hands?"

You wouldn't ask the judge if they have clean hands when he gives you the ribbon now would you ?

What about the hygiene thing?? How do I kno that you, your child has not been patting a dog that has Kennel Cough???

Aside from that, my dog is my property an I have every right to dictate when, how and why you touch the beast. My dog is not public property?????

I am normally more than happy to oblige but I have the right to refuse.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Danielle & Raz,

you're missing the point. Just say "no or not right now" not " have you clean hands?"

You wouldn't ask the judge if they have clean hands when he gives you the ribbon now would you ?

What about the hygiene thing?? How do I kno that you, your child has not been patting a dog that has Kennel Cough???

Aside from that, my dog is my property an I have every right to dictate when, how and why you touch the beast. My dog is not public property?????

Oh for goodness sakes!

Asking if someone has clean hands is not bad manners... most people who don't show dogs or realise the work that goes into a show coat wouldn't necessarily think that they need to have clean hands before patting a dog before (or after!) going into the ring. I wouldn't hesitate to ask someone if they have clean hands if they had asked to pat my dogs if it looked like they might be dirty (ie: if they were eating something)... I even have baby wipes/handwash that they could use if they really wanted to pat the dog... after all, we all get dirty... doesn't mean they have to pat my dog.

As for children being more important than dogs.. that argument is getting boring... this is the wrong forum to get everyone to agree on that statement.

Having had a small child make one of my animal's coats impossibly sticky with toffee coated hands I would not hesitate to do a hand inspection if I felt it necessary. It wasn't at a show, but it was completely disgusting and it took a long time to clean that sticky, sugary mess out of my sugar-intolerant animal's fur.

And I would rather give them a reason for being turned down for a pat...not just a 'no'. I would rather give them a solid reason and not let them make up their own through speculation- 'That animal is savage', 'that owner is unfriendly' etc.

Having had a small child make one of my animal's coats impossibly sticky with toffee coated hands I would not hesitate to do a hand inspection if I felt it necessary. It wasn't at a show, but it was completely disgusting and it took a long time to clean that sticky, sugary mess out of my sugar-intolerant animal's fur.

And I would rather give them a reason for being turned down for a pat...not just a 'no'. I would rather give them a solid reason and not let them make up their own through speculation- 'That animal is savage', 'that owner is unfriendly' etc.

:laugh: :D :rofl::eek:

Hi Danielle & Raz,

Um, I think you'll find your dogs are more at risk of getting Kennel Cough from the judge's hands after he/she's gone over all the other dogs.

No one is saying you have to let people pat your dogs, good grief :laugh:

Hi Danielle & Raz,

Um, I think you'll find your dogs are more at risk of getting Kennel Cough from the judge's hands after he/she's gone over all the other dogs.

No one is saying you have to let people pat your dogs, good grief ;)

And that is why you mouth your own dog!!!

By peoples attitudes here, we DO have to let every one pet our dogs otherwise we are snobs, rude, nasty, our dogs are vicious etc.

If I went upto your child and ruffled their hair after I'd been doing the weeding without washing it in-between would you appreciate it?

There is also the risk that if a child has been eating the dog might get overexcited and take a nibbe of their fingers, my dogs will and they are not nasty but my older bitch can grab rather than suck the finger which could frighten a child. Some parents also go off their nut if a dog licks their kid (have had it happen before), if the kid has clean hands it's less likely to be appealing to the dog!

, it's the mentality of the majority of the people who have commented - the disrespect and tactlessness they happily would display to another adult or a child, the clear fact that a lot of them are child haters and will always take a dogs side over an innocent childs - even to the point of laying the blame on the child for their dogs horrendously aggressive behaviour.

What a load of crap. Not only do you assume that your child is more important to a pet owner than they're own animal, you're now branding us as kid haters. Unbelievable. Open your eyes. Your posts are really getting a tad hysterical. Are you implying that Sheridan hates children just because she was asking a question about keeping the peace between her neighbours, and her blind and old dog? Deary me. Sheridan's dog is more important to her than your child is to her. Get over it. It doesnt make her a kid hater.

, it's the mentality of the majority of the people who have commented - the disrespect and tactlessness they happily would display to another adult or a child, the clear fact that a lot of them are child haters and will always take a dogs side over an innocent childs - even to the point of laying the blame on the child for their dogs horrendously aggressive behaviour.

What a load of crap. Not only do you assume that your child is more important to a pet owner than they're own animal, you're now branding us as kid haters. Unbelievable. Open your eyes. Your posts are really getting a tad hysterical. Are you implying that Sheridan hates children just because she was asking a question about keeping the peace between her neighbours, and her blind and old dog? Deary me. Sheridan's dog is more important to her than your child is to her. Get over it. It doesnt make her a kid hater.

I agree Raz.

Bloody hell.. talk about generalisations.

So because my dogs are more important to me than random children I must hate them... god forbid I have children of my own.. what might I do to them then, since I clearly hate children so much ;)

Ruger, I think for the safety of everyone involved, I'd agree with you that you are better off avoiding showing.

ok guys, point taken, not many of you like my views or share them so can we leave it at that now - I get the point - I'm a rude, aggressive person apparently. If you can just think of me as the person who loves their kids more than life that'd be great. No more posts for me.

Arguing with Sheridan is something that happens to everyone sooner or later. :) Don't let it put you off, it doesn't mean anything. ;)

:) Thanks, it's not having a difference of opinion that has completely repulsed me from this forum and the show scene, it's the mentality of the majority of the people who have commented - the disrespect and tactlessness they happily would display to another adult or a child, the clear fact that a lot of them are child haters and will always take a dogs side over an innocent childs - even to the point of laying the blame on the child for their dogs horrendously aggressive behaviour. (no wonder dogs get a bad rep when the owner just makes excuses for it)

It's no wonder so many people are against purebred dogs, if I didn't know better I'd feel exactly the same way after how my family was treated at our first show (my husband also got daggers shot at him for patting a dog who had jumped up on him) and by the comments that have been made here.

I'd much rather just have my happy 'pet' dogs than bother trying to show them, especially when people have pointed out that it is so stressful for them that it apparently drives them to aggressive behaviour.

I believe in keeping the peace with neighbours etc by being obliging and doing what we can to make it better for them, for sure, but I would never ever place a greater value on my dog than a human being and it's this point that has made me 'overreact', and take these comments 'personally', using the terrible, forbidden CAPITAL LETTERS ;) .

I think it is absolutely outrageous to ask a child if they have clean hands before patting a dog !! I know all about the stress of sticky coats from people patting my dogs having been to a lot of Royals :)

Either say to all people, who ask to pat the dog, " Of course" and then do a quick clean up as soon as they've gone or less stressful, just say "OK, but you'll have to wait until after they've finished being in the ring".

Any people who put dogs higher than children are making future problems.

AGREED ;) oh, sorry, there go the capital letters again! :eek:

Hi Danielle & Raz,

:D

Hi Danielle & Raz,

No one is saying you have to let people pat your dogs, good grief :eek:

Definitely! ;)

I expected my son to be told that he couldn't pat the dog because it was "working", so to speak, but not to be rudely asked if his hands were clean!

Sheridan, I'm glad your neighbours were so obliging and it is working out without dramas, I appreciate that you were only asking for suggestions to fix the situation - I guess I just have a bee in my bonnet when I perceive people to be picking on innocent children. ;)

what hysterical rubbish. anyway, i can hate as many kids as i like, last i looked it wasnt against the law.

i really dont like rude nasty dirty handed kids who seek out clean innocent dogs. :p

eta...maybe i should hate the parents who brought them up so badly..:o

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I agree Raz.

Bloody hell.. talk about generalisations.

So because my dogs are more important to me than random children I must hate them... god forbid I have children of my own.. what might I do to them then, since I clearly hate children so much :eek:

Ruger, I think for the safety of everyone involved, I'd agree with you that you are better off avoiding showing.

Amazing, isnt it. I have well over 40 nieces and nephews - and that's just on my side of the family. I didnt get to be the fave auntie by hating children, but in my immediate world, my dogs come first, and they certainly have wayyyyy higher priority than some stranger's kid, clean hands or not.

;) :D ;) We're all kid haters. How funny.

But what is rude about asking if someone has clean hands or not before allowing them to touch your dog?? Was it the question or the manner in which it was asked that was so distressing for you?

I know, anyone who is so drastically offended by being asked if they have clean hands before patting someone's nice, clean, preened show dog isn't going to cope very well in life.

God forbid... someone might honk in traffic (may they be struck down by lightening)!

god forbid that children's parents stop them from thinking they are so important that everyone must cater to their every need no matter how much it imposes on other adults

Yep. That's the frightening bit, isnt it.

Imagine if Grumpy got really grumpy and broke through the fence and bit one of those kids. All hell would break loose. Sheridan was actually asking how to deal with the situation so that it was unlikely to occur. Far out some of the carry on in this forum is quite entertaining.

god forbid that children's parents stop them from thinking they are so important that everyone must cater to their every need no matter how much it imposes on other adults

Imagine if Grumpy got really grumpy and broke through the fence and bit one of those kids. All hell would break loose. Sheridan was actually asking how to deal with the situation so that it was unlikely to occur. Far out some of the carry on in this forum is quite entertaining.

I agree Raz, I think I might run back to OT.. it's safer in there!

As for kids growing up thinking they are the centre of the universe... it isn't healthy, it isn't reality and it does nothing to help them grow into fully functional and successful adults. That to me is the crux of the kids vs dogs argument... yes you can train the dogs, and you are training a dog that is a dog and will always be a dog.... or (or indeed AND) you can teach the child, who will learn a lesson that will contribute to their ongoing development into adulthood. Even for someone who thinks that any given child is more important than any given dog should see the investment in educating the child rather than focussing solely on training the dog.

As for kids growing up thinking they are the centre of the universe... it isn't healthy, it isn't reality and it does nothing to help them grow into fully functional and successful adults. That to me is the crux of the kids vs dogs argument... yes you can train the dogs, and you are training a dog that is a dog and will always be a dog.... or (or indeed AND) you can teach the child, who will learn a lesson that will contribute to their ongoing development into adulthood. Even for someone who thinks that any given child is more important than any given dog should see the investment in educating the child rather than focussing solely on training the dog.

totally agree, children need to know how to operate in the world otherwise they will be in for a shock once they get into the workplace.

I know. I dont think anyone in OT would try to insult us by calling us kid haters

;) :D ;) Little tearies. What dreadful people we are for caring about our dogs and ask if some snot nosed kid's hands were clean before pawing our dogs before we take them into the show ring.

I've never had to ask a brat if it's hands were clean before grabbing one of my dogs because most parents are actually sensible, but I am enjoying this thread.

I know. I dont think anyone in OT would try to insult us by calling us kid haters

;) :D ;) Little tearies. What dreadful people we are for caring about our dogs and ask if some snot nosed kid's hands were clean before pawing our dogs before we take them into the show ring.

I've never had to ask a brat if it's hands were clean before grabbing one of my dogs because most parents are actually sensible, but I am enjoying this thread.

I mean.... imagine people on a dog forum caring about dogs... bet that came as a shock!