How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

I see Sheridan is talking about a situation that was quiet and peaceful and something has recently changed. She is asking here for advice and suggestions.

I am not sure how your garden is laid out Sheridan or your light requirements for the veggie patch (what is north facing etc) but I could suggest some fast growing screening trees. If that is a possibility I could research some for you...from the family of what is sometimes termed "Neighbours be Gone Trees"... :laugh:

Edited by LabTested

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruger, next door's kids are not more important to me than my dogs.

:laugh: A HUMAN BEING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DOG.

Thank you for your valuable contribution. :eek:

I see Sheridan is talking about a situation that was quiet and peaceful and something has recently changed. She is asking here for advice and suggestions.

I am not sure how your garden is laid out Sheridan or your light requirements for the veggie patch (what is north facing etc) but I could suggest some fast growing screening trees. If that is a possibility I could research some for you...from the family of what is sometimes termed "Neighbours be Gone Trees"... :o

Thanks, LabTested. That would be great.

Sheridan does need to do something about the situation, but IMO that would be to control her dogs. [/color][/size][/font]

Ruger, perhaps you could provide some suggestions on this point. It would be much more helpful than overusing the :laugh: symbol. Please bear in mind that I have a nearly 15-year-old dog who has dementia and fading eyesight. I will be interested in reading your thoughts. :eek:

When I set up my daughters tramp and swing I gave a lot of thought about where to place them so that they were not going to cause noise or privacy issues. It's part of being a considerate neighbor. I consider other people's rights to "quiet enjoyment" of their properties.

Having had some very noisy, intrusive and nasty neighbors in many of my 25 house moves, no way am I going to do anything to cause people distress. I know how horrid it is to have a migraine and suffer the loud tv and the drunken arguments coming from a neighbor's house or the teenage "drummer boy" thud his way through the wall of house. Having a new baby and having cars coming and going next door when World Cup Football is on and everyone tooting as they leave EVERY GODDAMN TIME!!! First night's sleep after moving day and being woken at 3am in the morning because someone decides that they want to listen to a Stevie Wonder album at a very loud volume. :eek:

Our current neighbors are all lovely and I have made sure we know all of them and they know us, because it's one thing to ignore how you are affecting strangers, another completely different story when you know your neighbor is having chemo for breast cancer. Relationships, however ephemeral, do make a difference most of the time, in how we deal with each other. It's not always easily done but early expressions of friendliness can bring about better community relations. Once you go down the really negative path it's not so easy to come back.

Having said that, I also think that sometimes doing your nut can be quite effective, especially with younger peoples who have yet to learn there is, in fact, someone else apart from them in existence :o

Is it the noise the dogs are reacting to? Or the sight of the kids?

Neighbours be gone AKA mop tops are good but they take a little while to grow - we have them for the same reason

If it is the sight of the kids bouncing up and down can you block access to that area so the dogs cant get there? I know you shouldnt have too, but it may help

Sheridan does need to do something about the situation, but IMO that would be to control her dogs. [/color][/size][/font]

Ruger, perhaps you could provide some suggestions on this point. It would be much more helpful than overusing the :eek: symbol. Please bear in mind that I have a nearly 15-year-old dog who has dementia and fading eyesight. I will be interested in reading your thoughts. :o

My first suggestion would be to actually meet your neighbours and introduce your dogs to the kids, let them get used to the kids playing, jumping on the trampoline and making noise and reassure them that the kids are not a threat by your postive reaction. It's called being neighbourly :)

Perhaps you didn't read the bit where I have a nearly 15-year-old dog with dementia and fading eyesight. It's called protecting my dog.

Is it the noise the dogs are reacting to? Or the sight of the kids?

Neighbours be gone AKA mop tops are good but they take a little while to grow - we have them for the same reason

If it is the sight of the kids bouncing up and down can you block access to that area so the dogs cant get there? I know you shouldnt have too, but it may help

It's the sight of them. They can see them from outside the back door.

Thanks, LabTested. That would be great.

I've got some notes somewhere (disorganised horticulture student here.. :eek: ) but for starters this mob list some of the good ones. http://treelogic.com.au/facts/2008/06/screening-trees/

You would need to consider evergreen or deciduous. Lillypilly might not be desirable with dogs due to the fruits, things like that.

A very popular one:

Pittosporum tenuifolium 'Screen Master' Fast growing plant, 4-5m

Edited by LabTested

Wow....interesting how this thread has gone...

I don't know how the set up of your home and property is, but if you have a suitable gate/fence protecting the front yard maybe the dog can go in there when the kids are out?

Otherwise it may be worth taking note of the ages of the kids and trying to work around times when they are not outside. For instance school aged children will likely not be on the trampoline between 8-3:30 Monday to Friday.

Other wise you could try counter conditioning your dog to the sight and noise of the children? make it a positive thing such as the children come out for a play-- your dog gets something they really like be it treats/ kong/ toy/ cuddles etc.

I see no issue with going and asking your neighbours nicely if they can move the trampoline to else where in the garden if they can.

Most people want to get on with their neighbours and if they know something bothers them they will change it.

With one of my neighbours we built a small platform so her grandkids could see my dogs and chat to me. But with another we have a very very nice high hedge.

Different neighbour, different relationship.

Don't get caught up in perfect world concepts......you want the dogs to not be disturbed.... go ask nicely. If they say no then get on with your life and you will find the issue passes. Kids get bored after a while.

I remember my most difficult neighbour had a son who was learning electric guitar...... he played badly. I took the view that I lived in the inner city and he would either get better at playing....or he would evertually move out. He never got better..... but he did move out three years later. It will pass.

Just ask them if its possible that they move it a little way away so that the dogs don't start barking.

And just be polite.....and nice. A smile always helps.

No front fence and I wouldn't put dogs in the front yard. I believe that some of them are younger than school age because I have heard them when I've been at home sick. Mini would probably be okay with training, though she is very reactive. Grumpy, no. Dementia, etc.

As long as the right tactics are used, you may be able to persuade the neighbour to move the trampoline.

That would involve communicating the idea that the problem is yours and not theirs, and that there would be a benefit to them in moving the trampoline.

I wouldn't do that. I would erect a temporary fence to block the view. A couple of hundred dollars is a wise investment for good neighbourly relations. :eek:

Just ask them if its possible that they move it a little way away so that the dogs don't start barking.

And just be polite.....and nice. A smile always helps.

The other thing you can do is approach the neighbours from the point of view that you are worried the dogs barking will annoy them.

Maybe just say ''I am concerned because my dogs seem to bark whenever your children are on the trampoline, I am looking at a way I can teach them to not bark, but in the mean time, I do apologise for the noise.'' :eek:

IMO Something to that effect is polite, kind of explains the problem ( dog barking) and the cause ( kids on trampoline). Also makes you look like a polite neighbour who is looking to keep the peace...and who knows..the neighbours may even suggest they move the trampoline them selves.

I had to do something recently, since I have moved to a new house, the fence here in Brisbane is a wooden fence and Brennan can see through into the neighbours yard when their Rottweiler is down in the yard and she barks. The other day I heard her barking went outside to bring her inside and saw the neighbour. I said hello, and apologised and said I was working with Brennan on it, and as it turns out my neighbours are really really nice, and did not have a problem :o .

This turned out really well for me because; A) I now know my neighbours and they are lovely, and B) The neighbours realise that I am working with my dog and I am keen to ensure my dog does not disturb the peace.

As long as the right tactics are used, you may be able to persuade the neighbour to move the trampoline.

That would involve communicating the idea that the problem is yours and not theirs, and that there would be a benefit to them in moving the trampoline.

I wouldn't do that. I would erect a temporary fence to block the view. A couple of hundred dollars is a wise investment for good neighbourly relations. :o

Yes, I would love to do this. Unfortunately, a couple of hundred dollars would take me weeks and weeks to save. :eek:

The other thing you can do is approach the neighbours from the point of view that you are worried the dogs barking will annoy them.

Maybe just say ''I am concerned because my dogs seem to bark whenever your children are on the trampoline, I am looking at a way I can teach them to not bark, but in the mean time, I do apologise for the noise.'' :)

IMO Something to that effect is polite, kind of explains the problem ( dog barking) and the cause ( kids on trampoline). Also makes you look like a polite neighbour who is looking to keep the peace...and who knows..the neighbours may even suggest they move the trampoline them selves.

I had to do something recently, since I have moved to a new house, the fence here in Brisbane is a wooden fence and Brennan can see through into the neighbours yard when their Rottweiler is down in the yard and she barks. The other day I heard her barking went outside to bring her inside and saw the neighbour. I said hello, and apologised and said I was working with Brennan on it, and as it turns out my neighbours are really really nice, and did not have a problem :laugh: .

This turned out really well for me because; A) I now know my neighbours and they are lovely, and B) The neighbours realise that I am working with my dog and I am keen to ensure my dog does not disturb the peace.

I'm on a slope, too, which is why they can see the kids from the back door.

I think just going openly and friendly to your neighbours is really viable and your right. They may help or not be helpful at all...it could go both ways but is worth trying. Then also, kids do get tired of things quickly, so they may not use the trampoline as long,they may not find it so novel to see next door's dogs, your dogs may get used to them doing that. I would probably try from my side to quieten dogs while it goes on, so they know that they are not allowed to bark away.

i agree. i love my kid but i dont care for other peoples kids

I'm with both of you. What makes somebody elses children more important than your OWN dogs? :eek: Not everybody likes kids - especially other peoples! And (dogs or no dogs) not everybody enjoys having their privacy invaded by someone elses kids looking over the fence all day.

I'd ask the neighbours to move the trampoline. Tell them your dog is very old, suffering from dementia and confused and upset by the kids. If that fails tell them you like to garden in the nick and dont feel it's in the kids best interests to be looking over your fence.

i agree. i love my kid but i dont care for other peoples kids

I'm with both of you. What makes somebody elses children more important than your OWN dogs? :eek: Not everybody likes kids - especially other peoples! And (dogs or no dogs) not everybody enjoys having their privacy invaded by someone elses kids looking over the fence all day.

I'd ask the neighbours to move the trampoline. Tell them your dog is very old, suffering from dementia and confused and upset by the kids. If that fails tell them you like to garden in the nick and dont feel it's in the kids best interests to be looking over your fence.

yep thats what i think. i dont want kids looking over the fence at me whenever they like. i want my privacy.