How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

Mini started barking today when she was outside. I was inside so I went to see what it was she was annoyed about and before I got to the back door I heard a child imitating the barking. My back fence neighbours have placed their kids trampoline just over my back fence so when the bounce they can see into my yard and of course, the dogs can see them. Grumpy has spent the day prowling the back fence and I've heard the kids say, 'Oooh, doggy!' I can't afford to increase the fence height by putting an extension there (even if they agreed to it) and while I have plans to block off the back of the yard so I can have some vege patches there, I also can't afford to put in another fence to do that right now and I really don't like people looking into my yard even if they are just kids, particularly since the dogs have caught the kids attention. I don't know if there's anywhere else they could put the trampoline but I would like to ask them if they can. How best to put it and what reason should I give?

Edited by Sheridan

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess it depends on what your relationship is like with your neighbours. If it was me I would mention the dogs barking has started since the trampoline was put near the fence and ask if they would be able to move it elsewhere in their yard or if not possible ask that the children ignore your dogs when jumping and see if that helps.

Knock on their door say hi and explain the situation

That the dogs are getting upset by seeing the kids jumping and barking at them and you were wondering if they could move the tramp away from the fence so that when the kids jump the dogs cant see tehm

Had the same thing with my neighbours last year, kids bouncing and looking right in my lounge windows, dogs could also see them through the fence and going barking crazy. I went round and spoke to them (they are lovely) and they moved the trampoline to the end of the yard and now it's obscured by a shed so my dogs don't bark and the kids don't see in.

They were very apologetic and understanding thank God.

:laugh:I feel sorry for the kids who can't even have fun in there own back yard without the neighbour complaining it's upsetting their dogs!

Off subject a bit, but when I went to my first dog show not that long ago, my son asked if he could pat a ladies dog, lady asked if he had clean hands :eek: , then he simply walked past a cage with a dalmation inside and said "hello doggy" and the thing flew at him and barked and carried on, owner comes rushing over making excuses for her dogs aggressive behavior and making my son feel like he did something wrong :o

Leave the poor kids alone!

i dont think so. they are ruining the peace and enjoyment of their neighbours which is really selfish.

it is not necessary the trampoline can be moved to a more appropriate place.

We had some little ones move in next door earlier this year. They scream!!!! Really loudly too, can't understand how the parents can stand to hear it. Anyway, this of course set the dogs off. Thankfully we were home on holidays and the dogs have learnt to ignore the kids. They have a trampoline as well and it was near the fence but they moved it, don't know why.

Maybe your dogs will become accustomed to the noise after a while? You could have sympathetic neighbours or you could be opening yourself up to a whole lot of nastiness. It has only been one day, give it time.

Guest bigdogg

Im sure you will work something out..

A bit of chicken wire and a few steel pickets would be a very small investment to help in the situation.

We had some little ones move in next door earlier this year. They scream!!!! Really loudly too, can't understand how the parents can stand to hear it. Anyway, this of course set the dogs off. Thankfully we were home on holidays and the dogs have learnt to ignore the kids. They have a trampoline as well and it was near the fence but they moved it, don't know why.

Maybe your dogs will become accustomed to the noise after a while? You could have sympathetic neighbours or you could be opening yourself up to a whole lot of nastiness. It has only been one day, give it time.

It isn't the noise, it's the appearance of the kids above the fence.

Why should they have to move their trampoline - they have the right to use their backyard however they want.

It is your dogs that have the issue with the trampoline so if you want them to stop barking, you fix their behaviour or block off access to that area.

You'd get a very short answer from me if I was the neighbour who's door you were knocking on.

:laugh:I feel sorry for the kids who can't even have fun in there own back yard without the neighbour complaining it's upsetting their dogs!

Off subject a bit, but when I went to my first dog show not that long ago, my son asked if he could pat a ladies dog, lady asked if he had clean hands :eek: , then he simply walked past a cage with a dalmation inside and said "hello doggy" and the thing flew at him and barked and carried on, owner comes rushing over making excuses for her dogs aggressive behavior and making my son feel like he did something wrong :o

Leave the poor kids alone!

Ah Ruger - I'll bet the dog your son wanted to pat was light coloured. Exhibitor spends about 6 hours tarting up the dog, and a child puts a dirty handmark right in the middle of the dog ... too late to get it out before judging. Some exhibitors are happier about pats than others too, and you probably struck the wrong one. Dalmation in it's crate would have been protecting its territory - probably ok out of the crate. I never walk too close to crates at shows, because a lot of the dogs do fly up to the front (and frighten the daylights out of me). Also, some of the competitors may not be too experienced, and haven't learned how to stop the dogs doing it.

One of the nicest memories I have of showing my 2 cockers is of after the judging, little kids came along and wanted to pat them - kids and pups had a wonderful romp for 1/2 an hour, coz I was gossiping, and the cockers lived kids. Don't despair, lots of exhibitors love kids and after judging, he will probably find heaps of dogs to pat.

Well, I hope so :eek:

And Sheridan needs to do something to avoid future problems. Good luck, Sheridan.

It isn't the noise, it's the appearance of the kids above the fence.

Same principle I would have thought. Most kids grow out of trampolines pretty quick. But if you have no other choice you will have to approach them in a calm manner and explain what is happening and hope for the best. :laugh: