How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

Just ask them nicely if they would mind moving it... explain that it is making your dogs bark.

They are not actually doing anything wrong though so if they refuse I doubt you'll be able to force them to do anything.

The kids do have a right to play in their own backyard after all...

If they were coming over or leaning on the fence or teasing the dogs then you would have grounds to complain.

However, i think in this situation a friednly request would be the best way to go about it.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was me, my first thought would be to redirect the dogs with training; use treats to encourage them to associate kids jumping on the trampoline with lying on their bedds and getting treats for being good dogs.

I believe that even your dog with dementia could manage this as its a fairly simple form of learning. although you know him better than me.

I don't really see that the kids are doing anything wrong - maybe you could just ask them to please ignore the dogs; and explain that this will help to prevent the dogs from barking.

OMG... I think I'm developing a twitch...

In my opinion, you are entitled to quiet enjoyment of your property. Someone elses kids are not more important to you than your dogs, but approaching neighbours requires tact and understanding, which no doubt you have.

I have had my fair share of issues with neighbours and it works itself out one way or another... I tolerate the neighbours kids throwing stuff over the fence, and they tolerate getting their balls back in small pieces.

Although I admit I have called the police on the neighbours kids when they have been setting off fireworks in the backyard and I had a very distressed dog.

As for the comments about shows... if I had kids coming up to my dog in her crate without permission I would be looking around for the parents and wondering why on earth they weren't controlling their children, particularly given that I am controlling my dog by having her secured. Dogs are living, breathing, sentient creatures... they aren't a piece of equipment that you can turn on and off and parents have an equal if not greater responsibility to teach their children how to function in society as effective adults.... they do this by learning the rules of society, like it's not polite to look into other people's properties or invace people's personal space.

"Hi, I'm your next door neighbour. I just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello and ask if you have a minute to talk about a small issue?"

"Oh hi, sure, what's the problem?"

"It's not a big problem, I'd like to work something out with your help so we can all enjoy the neighbourhood. I love that your kids are getting outside and enjoying the fresh air (unlike lots of other kids nowadays) and I don't want them to stop, but there's a small issue with the placement of the trampoline. When the kids heads appear over the top of the fence as they jump, my old dog with dementia is getting confused and barking. I don't want anyone (particularly you) getting upset about the barking and putting in a complaint, so I'm wondering about the possibility of moving the trampoline slightly so the dogs can't see your kids when they're jumping. If it's hard to put the trampoline in another area, I'd like to try and work on another solution to make us both happy."

There are only two possible responses as this point> Sure, we can move the trampoline OR >no, there's nowhere else it can go.

If they move it, problem solved, if they can't then you work on another solution.

First step first though... talk to your neighbour!! Most people are reasonable if you're polite. (I have a neighbour who hates my dogs but we still keep it polite to work together for a solution that keeps us both happy).

It doesn't matter if your dogs are more important to you than kids or vice versa!!!

The kids in this situation aren't doing anything wrong! They are playing in their own backyard.

Honestly, I am sure if the neighbours are reasonable people they will be happy to move the trampoline- who wants to listen to yapping dogs anyway??? The situation as it is, probably isn't ideal for either party involved.

i think being poilite etc gets you a long way in the world. im someone that if you knock on my door and talk to me nice i would try if possible to help you do it the wrong way or your a pain i would tell in no terms to nick off.

they might have no where eles to put it, if they are on a slop maybe thats the only flat enough bit?

but i agree with others that its there back yard and they can do as they please and they have every right to jump on there tramp.

I also agree give them a few weeks not even and i bet they are hardly ever on it. its fun for the first 5 mins then they will get bored :eek: all kids do

but i would not expect them to move it. so i would be trying on my side. maybe if you are home adn they are out lock the dog in the house. i doubt they will stay on a tramp for very long at all.

i also think its getting sad that kids are not allowed to play with out problems no wonder there is a obesity issue :o

"Hi, I'm your next door neighbour. I just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello and ask if you have a minute to talk about a small issue?"

"It's not a big problem, I'd like to work something out with your help so we can all enjoy the neighbourhood. I love that your kids are getting outside and enjoying the fresh air (unlike lots of other kids nowadays) and I don't want them to stop, but there's a small issue with the placement of the trampoline. When the kids heads appear over the top of the fence as they jump, my old dog with dementia is getting confused and barking. I don't want anyone (particularly you) getting upset about the barking and putting in a complaint, so I'm wondering about the possibility of moving the trampoline slightly so the dogs can't see your kids when they're jumping. If it's hard to put the trampoline in another area, I'd like to try and work on another solution to make us both happy."

There are only two possible responses as this point> Sure, we can move the trampoline OR >no, there's nowhere else it can go.

If they move it, problem solved, if they can't then you work on another solution.

First step first though... talk to your neighbour!! Most people are reasonable if you're polite. (I have a neighbour who hates my dogs but we still keep it polite to work together for a solution that keeps us both happy).

ahha the sweet voice of reason......

yep it is time to pleasantly start to build a good relationship with your neighbours... if people are given the opportunity to understand why you are making a siggestion ( ie elderly dog with dementia) they are usually more than happy to help out.. they may be muttering to themselves about the foolish thoughtless p[erson next door who allows her dog to bark incessantly whenever their children are harmlessly enjoying themselves outside.

go for it .. it is a community building step and a good one

helen

who still beleives in commjon sense even tho it is onthe endangered list

:eek::o:)

I could only hazard a guess as to what my bedlington terriers would be doing if the neighbours had a trampoline next door and the kids were bouncing up and down.

Leo especially would be going off his tree. And if I tried giving him treats to stop him it would not work. Once he get fixated that is it.

We have a laneway next to us and Leo waits at about 4pm for the people to start walking down and then attacks the fence. We do try to get him back inside when he does it and the training is going slowly but he is beginning to listen. Our word to him is 'come'. But this has taken years to get him to this stage.

I feel for you Sheridan and in your place I would be going and speaking to the neighbours. Gently if possible.

Why should they have to move their trampoline - they have the right to use their backyard however they want.

It is your dogs that have the issue with the trampoline so if you want them to stop barking, you fix their behaviour or block off access to that area.

You'd get a very short answer from me if I was the neighbour who's door you were knocking on.

:eek: Spot on Danios, 100% in agreement with you.

:oI feel sorry for the kids who can't even have fun in there own back yard without the neighbour complaining it's upsetting their dogs!

Off subject a bit, but when I went to my first dog show not that long ago, my son asked if he could pat a ladies dog, lady asked if he had clean hands :) , then he simply walked past a cage with a dalmation inside and said "hello doggy" and the thing flew at him and barked and carried on, owner comes rushing over making excuses for her dogs aggressive behavior and making my son feel like he did something wrong :laugh:

Leave the poor kids alone!

Ah Ruger - I'll bet the dog your son wanted to pat was light coloured. Exhibitor spends about 6 hours tarting up the dog, and a child puts a dirty handmark right in the middle of the dog ... too late to get it out before judging. Some exhibitors are happier about pats than others too, and you probably struck the wrong one. Dalmation in it's crate would have been protecting its territory - probably ok out of the crate. I never walk too close to crates at shows, because a lot of the dogs do fly up to the front (and frighten the daylights out of me). Also, some of the competitors may not be too experienced, and haven't learned how to stop the dogs doing it.

One of the nicest memories I have of showing my 2 cockers is of after the judging, little kids came along and wanted to pat them - kids and pups had a wonderful romp for 1/2 an hour, coz I was gossiping, and the cockers lived kids. Don't despair, lots of exhibitors love kids and after judging, he will probably find heaps of dogs to pat.

Well, I hope so :D

And Sheridan needs to do something to avoid future problems. Good luck, Sheridan.

I can appreciate the effort people go to to get their dogs ready for a show. It wasn't a light coloured dog though and it was on the ground in the dust and dirt anyway. But I have taught my son always to ask permission before touching anyones dog, and he is taught to respect our dogs at all times.

I can also appreciate a dog protecting it's territory, but not when a child is involved and not with the aggression this dog displayed - aggressive behavior is not to be tolerated, isn't that the rule?

I'm glad your dogs play and enjoy the company of children, as do mine, but I'm sure you can appreciate that this did not leave a good taste in my mouth when my son is bawling because a dog just flew at him and scared the living daylights out of him!

Sheridan does need to do something about the situation, but IMO that would be to control her dogs.

And I am sure your child will not walk so close to a tethered or caged dog again. We all have to take measures to prtect ourselves from an imperfect world.

Sheriden, I personally would deal with it from from my side of the fence. Fast growing screen trees, fence extentions, shadecoth, bringing the dogs inside, blocking off the area from the dogs are some options. They will possibly move the tramp around the yard anyway because of the grass underneath.

For all those people who think it's OK to have kids bouncing up and down on a trampoline (and sometimes their friends) for 8 hours a day and looking into their neighbours' windows at the same time, what about if their neighbours like some privacy in their own homes? Some of us might like to walk around without clothes on in our own homes - who wants their kids to see that??

:eek::o:)

:laugh: :D :D

:( ;) :dancingelephant:

You can talk to your neighbours and tell them that, although kids have every right to play in their own backyard, they can and do look into your yard which is inappropriate and you personally have a problem with it. You don't have to mention the dogs at all.

Some good suggestions, folks. Thanks.

One of the reasons that I forgot to mention last night is that in terms of barking (Grumpy only barks when he wants to tell me something but Mini is a pocket rocket when she gets going and bear in mind that school hols are coming up) because the lady next door does night shift. Obviously, her welfare is very important as well.

Dogmad, for me personally that is not OK but that is subjective and dependent on which side of the fence you live. I do have an issue that is not out of the relms of this discussion and I have taken to fixing the problem from my side of the fence. I would have loved it if fence extentions could have immediately fixed my problem and I would have begged or borrowed to get the extra money for them. Unfortunately my problem calls for some massive screen trees but they are coming along nicely.

If a neighbour came to me with a similar problem as Sheriden I would move the tramploine imediately, without hesitation.

If it was the other way around I personally would not ask as I know there are many people who would view the situation like Ruger.

And I don't see how inroducing a 12 year old dog with dementia to the children would solve anything.

If someone came up to me and said there was an issue, I would not have a problem in rectifying it if it could be solved to the satisfaction of both parties.

My next door neighbour has asked if her dogs continual barking is an issue, I have said yes they are noisy, but unfortunately they live on a corner block with a bike path outside their house which leads to the local school and shops. I dont expect her to keep her dogs quiet with that much excitement going on around them. If my dog barks, I then know to get up and there is a problem.

I can fully understand that grumpy neither has the patience, willpower or ability to change his behaviour and I dont think it is unreasonable for the neighbours to be told of an issue that has suddenly arisen due to the placement of the trampoline. In the end, the neighbours are going to be wondering what on earth is happening to the dogs if they are arking up.