How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

Dear old Grumpy. :) xxxx

Ash's post was terrific :rofl: :D

I'm so lucky where I live, the whole street and eveen the street at the back of my place is very very friendly. we ALL!! make quite a lot of noise and have a lot of activity happening and have for many years.

My neighbours on one side have been away for 2 years while their house is being fixed up, they have now sold the place they were in and are moving back in before christmas, I was so pleased :rofl: :D as I had to travel to see them and was used to seeing them every day :birthday:

But, they have 4 kids, active, outdoorsly ones with motor bikes, a go cart, trampoline, swimming pool directly next to our pool....

I can just imagine the dogs goiing off as they are now acclimatised to no one being there...

we have already had the "talk' about this and how to deal with it, they also have 2 lovely cockers. Im positive there will be much yelling from both sides, me at the dogs... and them at the kids.. :eek: :D but we are on the same page which makes things very easy. :)

Re the learning music (guitar..) I feel the pain, mine did guitar, banjo, violin, piano and flute, I have a drum teacher who teaches from home across the road, and a band next door who practice in the garage on our side, if only they could play... :)

sheridan I really hope it all works out, i had a dog with those issues too. You certainly would not achieve anything by intro to the kids :) or 'training' :rofl:

Hopefully the neighbours have common sense and empathy, that's is what makes for great neighbours. good luck.xxx

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those people who think it's OK to have kids bouncing up and down on a trampoline (and sometimes their friends) for 8 hours a day and looking into their neighbours' windows at the same time, what about if their neighbours like some privacy in their own homes? Some of us might like to walk around without clothes on in our own homes - who wants their kids to see that??

I don't think the kids were doing it for 8 hrs a day though?

Aussielover - the neighbours kids next door to me were, it was like an all day thing with them popping up every 5 mins at the weekends. Maybe it was because it was new and novel or it was a party situation but either way, my loungeroom windows are only about 10 feet or less away from their fenceline and where the trampoline was placed originally. Not only was it intrusive but very very noisy with all the screaming.

Aussielover - the neighbours kids next door to me were, it was like an all day thing with them popping up every 5 mins at the weekends. Maybe it was because it was new and novel or it was a party situation but either way, my loungeroom windows are only about 10 feet or less away from their fenceline and where the trampoline was placed originally. Not only was it intrusive but very very noisy with all the screaming.

Oh, well if it goes on all day, it is certainly disrespectful of the parents not to care.

I don't tolerate screaming kids very well, so I probably would have had "words" with the kids LOL

My suggestion is based on my own experience with two very old dogs I have owned, one had dementia and other health problems, she could still adjust to new situations, it just took effort and patience.

My suggestion was offered as a possible way to help the situation, other people here have also suggested building a relationship with your neighbours - the kids are part of the family so getting to know them with your dogs couldn't hurt. I didn't even suggest letting the kids actually play with your dog or even touch it, just play near it to maybe help it adjust if you use positive reinforcement - another person also made a similar suggestion.

Seems to me that you are only happy with a solution that involves the trampoline being moved and not much being done on your part.

I hope you don't mind me removing the unreadable font and colour?

I think you need to give me credit for knowing my own dog. You, after all, don't know him at all.

As for the rest, I think you need to read a previous post of mine where I said 'Good suggestions.'

Edited by Sheridan

It's a bit of a worry when there are arguments on here about dogs and kids, no wonder there are neighbourhood disputes. :rofl:

And yes, Sheridan knows her dogs very well, and even I who does not, would not see any point in Grumpy meeting the kids. Grumpy is very special. xxxxx

empathy, respect, cooperation and consideration go a long way, find a middle ground. In 50 years I've never had a neighbour problem and I've moved a LOT, countries and states. I've been really blessed to have neighbours who also like to live in harmony and friendhip, but it's been a lot of give and take over the years.

Ashanali has printed a lovely 'possible conversation' :rofl:

Ruger, take a deep breath. dogs in crates often do that, it doesn't make it right and I'm sorry it happened, but turning it into a major issue does not help your child deal with it either.

Shows can be highly stressful for some 'showers' and maybe your child was the 100th to do that on the day, the lady coming over to make excuses does not appear to be turning the blame on your son but rather sounds embarrassed and explaining how her dog reacts. It's up to the parent to make sure their child feels OK about it and learns from it and does not interpret the experience in a negative way.

I hope you enjoy other shows in the future. They really are great fun! :rofl:

Edited by Monah

It's a bit of a worry when there are arguments on here about dogs and kids, no wonder there are neighbourhood disputes. :rofl:

And yes, Sheridan knows her dogs very well, and even I who does not, would not see any point in Grumpy meeting the kids. Grumpy is very special. xxxxx

Yes, his nickname is Grumpy for a reason ...

empathy, respect, cooperation and consideration go a long way, find a middle ground. In 50 years I've never had a neighbour problem and I've moved a LOT, countries and states. I've been really blessed to have neighbours who also like to live in harmony and friendhip, but it's been a lot of give and take over the years.

Ashanali has printed a lovely 'possible conversation' :rofl:

Yes, that was a very helpful post, as have the majority of others. :rofl:

I'll spell it out for you too, THERE WAS NO WHERE ELSE TO WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have quite an aggressive posting style.

This is not about comparing the importance of children and dogs.

Edited by corrie

- Actually the only reason why I decided to post again since last night was to defend my son and myself

Are you Sheridan's neighbour? :rofl:

(and yes, I'm being deliberately obtuse)

Ruger, absolutely no offence intended here but you have taken Sheridan's very simple appeal for help in how to approach a situation, very personally.

- Actually the only reason why I decided to post again since last night was to defend my son and myself

Are you Sheridan's neighbour? :rofl:

(and yes, I'm being deliberately obtuse)

Ruger, absolutely no offence intended here but you have taken Sheridan's very simple appeal for help in how to approach a situation, very personally.

Weird, no?

Sheridan- next time the kids do it, remove your clothes and frolic in the garden. Or sacrifice a goat. That should stop them.

I would be more concerned about them peering over the fence into my yard. Invasion of privacy much??????

With regard to the lady at the dog show who asked if the kid had clean hands..... What's wrong with that????? Kennel Cough has been going around lately and can easily be passed on from patting one dog then another, do we now not have the right to protect our dogs from disease?????

Ruger, next door's kids are not more important to me than my dogs.

;) A HUMAN BEING IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY DOG.

Not in MY book (and using CAPS is very rude)

Sheridan- next time the kids do it, remove your clothes and frolic in the garden. Or sacrifice a goat. That should stop them.

I would be more concerned about them peering over the fence into my yard. Invasion of privacy much??????

With regard to the lady at the dog show who asked if the kid had clean hands..... What's wrong with that????? Kennel Cough has been going around lately and can easily be passed on from patting one dog then another, do we now not have the right to protect our dogs from disease?????

:laugh::(

:laugh::( ;) :laugh:

great idea

:laugh:

Or sticky fingers.

Weird, no?

It is a bit. It doesnt even look like ruger's posts.

Sheridan, I totally understand where you're coming from. Nice neighbourhood relationshionships and all that. You'll just have to ask them to MOVE THE FRIGGING TRAMP - but not like that. Dont yell at them :laugh: My god I've got a neighbour with a tramp and I really really want to kill them...

eta wrong ruger.

Edited by raz